• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

In-line crossover?

Sunsetter

I am putting in a Yamaha MusicCast-based system for the top floor of my house, covering three bedrooms. This will be driven by a Yamaha XA-QS5400RK amp, with two channels bridged to power the master bedroom speakers. The master bedroom will also have a small (SVS Micro 3000) subwoofer attached to a stereo pre-out from the Yamaha amp. I don't have the amp in-hand just yet, but from what I can tell it doesn't have the ability to apply a high-pass filter to the master bedroom speakers while maintaining a full-range preout output to the subwoofer (which has its own LPF). I want to just be able to cut off low frequencies to the in-wall speakers (Revel W893) and have the sub deal with those. Is there a product out there that would achieve this, ideally something I would just place in-line with the speaker cable outputs from the Yamaha amp?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems like you could probably just use a single capacitor for each speaker and that should work.
Unfortunately, an inline cap reacts with the impedance rise of a woofer to give an exaggerated response.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There are these, but how they will really react with your speaker is a bit of a roll of the dice. Better than just an in-line cap.

Top Bottom