• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Moving to separates...I think.

Dom Cobb

Looking for some advice on a pre-amp to finish a conversion to separates for my 2.1 setup.

I only listen to vinyl and stream via Tidal Connect.

Current setup: Cambridge Audio Evo 150 integrated + Manley Chinook Phono preamp + SVS Micro 3000

New setup (so far): Auralic Altair G1.1 + NAD M22 V2 + Manley Chinook preamp + SVS Micro 3000

I need to solve for volume control on my Manley since the G1.1 doesn't have an analog input. I just assumed it would be easy to find a preamp as the last piece but I clearly have been mistaken.

While the only actual functionality I need is volume control for the Manley, I would like to find a preamp that:

-is under $3-4k
-has a subwoofer out
-has a depth of 14 inches or less
-has balanced outputs for my power amp
-has 2 sets of analog inputs for my Auralic and Manley.

Suggestions?

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
A WiiM Amp plus a phono pre should do everything that you're asking for, for about $500.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Can you clarify current vs. New setup? Are these things you already own? In your new setup you have a Manley preamp already purchased?

edit. I think it’s the same phono pre-amp in your current?

Last edited:
OP
D

Dom Cobb

Can you clarify current vs. New setup? Are these things you already own? In your new setup you have a Manley preamp already purchased?
I own everything in both the current and new. Hodgepodge of stuff from my home theater room that I’m not using.

Yes, the equipment from the current is just part of the new.

Last edited:
OP
D

Dom Cobb

Rotel RC-1572 MKII may be an option. Still looking for more suggestions!

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You don't strictly need "A preamp" if you just want a clean volume control with sub out. I used to use a Topping A90 for that, in fact I'm selling it if you're interested. ;) Lots of heapdhone amps can act as preamps and have great performance, for not a ton of money. Add a WiiM Pro for streaming Tidal and there you go.

radix

Major Contributor
I would just get an RCA to TOSLINK ADC and feed it into the Auralic. Even an inexpensive one likely outperforms the audio quality you'd get from a TT. keep it simple, the Auralic already has volume and all your other inputs.

OP
D

Dom Cobb

You don't strictly need "A preamp" if you just want a clean volume control with sub out. I used to use a Topping A90 for that, in fact I'm selling it if you're interested. ;) Lots of heapdhone amps can act as preamps and have great performance, for not a ton of money. Add a WiiM Pro for streaming Tidal and there you go.

I would just get an RCA to TOSLINK ADC and feed it into the Auralic. Even an inexpensive one likely outperforms the audio quality you'd get from a TT. keep it simple, the Auralic already has volume and all your other inputs.

Good ideas here but not seeing a solution for my subwoofer in either scenario.

radix

Major Contributor
Well, the Auralic is very expensive for what it does and I'm trying not to replace it. You could just use Y cables and send to speakers and sub. The sub should have its own low pass. If you want to, you can get in-line high-pass filters for the amp. Some subs have HP filtered outputs to go to the amp. Or put a miniDSP between the Aualic and the amp.

radix

Major Contributor
This is interesting. I need to read up. Could I turn off the DRC on the analog in for my TT but use it for streaming?
A Minidsp Flex, for example, would work just like a preamp, but it has DRC that you would want on at all times. You would hook up a streamer like a Wiim Pro Plus. Or even your Aurelic with a fixed output. And SHD has a built-in streamer.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I need to solve for volume control on my Manley since the G1.1 doesn't have an analog input. I just assumed it would be easy to find a preamp as the last piece but I clearly have been mistaken.

If all you (the OP) really need is a volume control, why not just get a volume control?
Here's an example:

1708047412227.jpeg

Actually it will switch between two analog line level inputs, too.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The A90 (and various other desktop devices) will let you use the XLR and RCA outputs at the same time. In my setup I had the XLR going to my main amp and the RCA going to the sub. If your sub doesn't have a crossover and/or you aren't using EQ then I can see why this is not a solution, though.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is interesting. I need to read up. Could I turn off the DRC on the analog in for my TT but use it for streaming?
Yes, you can set different presets. You could use room correction for preset 1 that you use for your digital and no correction for preset 2 that you use for analog. Of course ALL inputs go through the matrix so the analog in is converted to digital then back to analog, you're simply not applying any filters. I have no idea why you would want to do this but it can be done.
There are preamps with subout like the Rotel you mentioned. Parasound P6 has phono input and basic high and low pass on the subwoofer outs.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The A90 (and various other desktop devices) will let you use the XLR and RCA outputs at the same time. In my setup I had the XLR going to my main amp and the RCA going to the sub. If your sub doesn't have a crossover and/or you aren't using EQ then I can see why this is not a solution, though.
Or you could just split a single set of outputs between sub amp and power amp too. Most subs don't have a crossover and neither do many 2ch pre-amps/amps like this.

OP
D

Dom Cobb

Yes, you can set different presets. You could use room correction for preset 1 that you use for your digital and no correction for preset 2 that you use for analog. Of course ALL inputs go through the matrix so the analog in is converted to digital then back to analog, you're simply not applying any filters. I have no idea why you would want to do this but it can be done.
There are preamps with subout like the Rotel you mentioned. Parasound P6 has phono input and basic high and low pass on the subwoofer outs.
That is all good man, thank you.

The Parasound P6 really fit the bill with exception of the depth. I loved the idea of having a high pass filter for analog bass management.

The minidsp is certainly intriguing. Hard to track the outputs on this unit. I'm assuming I can use a single subwoofer? Is there a mono RCA out?

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That is all good man, thank you.

The Parasound P6 really fit the bill with exception of the depth. I loved the idea of having a high pass filter for analog bass management.

The minidsp is certainly intriguing. Hard to track the outputs on this unit. I'm assuming I can use a single subwoofer? Is there a mono RCA out?
You can sum to mono, set high and low pass in the software and use 1 subwoofer set to one of RCA or XLR out.

1708050216323.png

Top Bottom