• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Basic Questions on Speaker Wires

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You can also buy flat cables that can go under carpet.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
This is what I'm running here in 12g OFC, some very nice pure copper heavy dual strand wire.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/25-feet-OF...185185?hash=item41f854dc21:g:KOEAAOSwxCxT6loD

If your going really long or just want the piece of mind they now offer their TRUE 10g wire and even 8g, if I was doing mine over I'd get this now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25-ft-TRUE...279385?hash=item3f6a6a1f59:g:LzwAAOSwMgdX0H8a

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25-feet-OF...318859?hash=item3f7d7d898b:g:5tIAAOSwwNVTsfQv

Check around the Sky High store on ebay for the best pricing on the gauge and length you need.

Last edited:

bigjacko

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For copper and CCA, regarding sound quality, isn't resistance the only difference? So given that CCA wire is wider than copper result in same resistance, would there be no any change in sound quality?

SKBubba

Having refurbed a couple of pairs of speaker and seeing the hookup wire inside, it makes me wonder about the need for my 12 ga. and 14 ga. speaker wire.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Having refurbed a couple of pairs of speaker and seeing the hookup wire inside, it makes me wonder about the need for my 12 ga. and 14 ga. speaker wire.
It's all a matter of distance. that 12" of thin wire inside your speaker won't change anything, but if you used another 20' of it, it would. The wire inside the voice coil is hair thin, but if you ran 20' of it to the amp and drove the speaker hard, it would turn red and melt!

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
distance & amps

BTW, if you put an amplifier close to each speaker, you solve some problems...

OP
Z

zelig

Forum Donor
distance & amps

BTW, if you put an amplifier close to each speaker, you solve some problems...
... but add a bucket load of new ones.

Here is what I ended up buying based on the good information I got from you guys:
14 AWG x 100' copper wire $26
1/2" x 25' split loom sleeve $13

I started off wanting black cable because it was going to be visible, but discovered that I could get a much better deal on non-black cable. Using a single black sleeve I can "conceal" multiple cables, even though the final cost is about the same.

Last edited:

k3ejjgo7jpl

I hope it's not a problem if I revive this thread because I also have beginner questions about cables.
My question is what is the best way to treat the ends of the speaker cables, because pure copper may tend to oxidize. Here a user writes that banana plugs would be good:
Bare wires work well but are more subject to corrosion than banana plugs and therefore may need to be snipped and pushed back to clean copper every so often.

But I had read elsewhere that these banana plugs are not necessary if you do not want to change frequently the connected loudspeakers. Furthermore, banana plugs would mean another electrical transition that could lead to interference.

In other forums I have read that the copper cable ends are sometimes treated with corrosion inhibitor (similar to that war is used in a car) or even manually tinned so that the individual strands of copper are bundled. This would be, according to my understanding, but again disadvantageous because you would then have another electrical transition. (copper -> tin -> loudspeaker)

Is there a consensus here in the forum or possibly even a scientific study what is the best way to:
1. prevent corrosion at the copper cable ends of the speaker cables?
2. if banana plugs are necessary or if it is sufficient to connect the cables directly?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Is there a consensus here in the forum or possibly even a scientific study what is the best way to:

Grease. a little dab'll do ya.

Or, if you want to use an industrial standard:

NO-OX-ID-A

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I wonder how much resistance a 1 or 2 mm coating has vs the bare wire?

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder how much resistance a 1 or 2 mm coating has vs the bare wire?

the wire won't remain bare, but will corrode - that is what Tweek and the other polymeric conductive liquids prevent

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
2. if banana plugs are necessary or if it is sufficient to connect the cables directly?
I've had some early Monster cable turn completely green underneath the jacketing.
I think it had some interaction with the jacketing material or some outgassing of it?

Jbrunwa

the wire won't remain bare, but will corrode - that is what Tweek and the other polymeric conductive liquids prevent

I suspect that when you tighten down the wire with the banana plug or binding post that it gets squeezed to molecule layer thin. That’s my understanding for crimped or compressed connections, correct me if I’m wrong. I use Pro Gold G100L. One tiny bottle will last me a lifetime.

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I've had some early Monster cable turn completely green underneath the jacketing.
I think it had some interaction with the jacketing material or some outgassing of it?
Hydrochloric acid from the PVC is the villain in your little set piece. :)

k3ejjgo7jpl

Last edited:
Top Bottom