• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Baffle width and crossover mods.

mightycicadalord

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Another potentially silly question for those with more knowledge than I!

I've been playing around with baffle widths lately, measuring the effects and listening to various baffle widths by placing panels around some speakers I have made. Some things I've noted so far is that I very much like the effects that widening the baffle of my speakers gives me, so much so that I'd like to build some new cabinets for the Carmody Amiga's I have.

As I understand it this will change a few things in the speakers response that might need crossover adjustment, namely baffle step correction. Is it possible to simply swap some components on the crossover to adjust for this?

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
As I understand it this will change a few things in the speakers response that might need crossover adjustment, namely baffle step correction. Is it possible to simply swap some components on the crossover to adjust for this?
Not sure that's good idea without measuring, however I want to point you to http://www.tolvan.com/edge/help.htm
It can simulate the effects of baffle step and calculate compenstaion. Also, why not ask Paul Carmody maybe he has some recommendations.

OP
M

mightycicadalord

My in room measurements show inconclusive changes in the tweeter, I'd have to do some outside to really see what it's doing, but positive changes in the woofer. The response is much flatter from 800-3k. There are also some dips below that which are alleviated. Definitely going to pursue this further.

OP
M

mightycicadalord

Here's what I've got so far.

This is the stock speaker, ~8" baffle.
no widde baffle.png

Here is with wide baffle panels I made. Things I see. The on axis dip from 2-4k is less severe. The response from 700-3k is more uniform. The tweeter looks like shit no matter what so there's that.
wide baffles.png

Sent Paul a message but no response yet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom