• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

BACCH4Mac Pro Edition - For those considering BACCH

Eurasian

Forum Donor
I appreciate what this company is doing. That ability to steer the sweet spot and/or create multiple sweet spots is cool. Its advances the science.

This cross talk elimination product seems cool. It adds a “slider” (probably a bunch of settings) that let you tune to taste.

It gets into that territory of “I added X and my music sounds so much better now”

That X could be anything and if I mentioned specifically some examples of what could be X it would ruffle some feathers.

I suppose they would have to fund the ABX studies to produce this psychoacoustic research. After all the Harmon tests were all done by testing on real people. Until then it is all just opinion.

Over on the “what makes speakers disappear” thread we are discussing techniques to create L-R to feed into the left speaker and R-L to feed into the right speaker and then L+R to feed to the center speaker. This would amount to yet another “slider” that makes things sound “better” while obviating the need for HRTF measurements but obviously needing an extra speaker. The slider part would be to adjust the levels of the 3 units.

Not the exact same thing but somewhat in the same vein I guess. There are other such experiments in that thread as well.
Over on the “what makes speakers disappear” thread we are discussing techniques to create L-R to feed into the left speaker and R-L to feed into the right speaker and then L+R to feed to the center speaker. This would amount to yet another “slider” that makes things sound “better” while obviating the need for HRTF measurements but obviously needing an extra speaker. The slider part would be to adjust the levels of the 3 units.

This sounds like what James Bongiorno was doing with his Trinaural system

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In
It would perhaps be a better use of energy to try to hear a BACCH system than to speculate endlessly on what BACCH does. Hearing BACCH is not like "hearing" a power cable.
In that case, perhaps they should send Amir, Kal and a few others a Bach4Mac set up for formal review.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, demos are possible, and there are retailers that can demo hardware units. The demo I got in Hong Kong in 2015 was the most memorable audio demo I've ever experienced. Mind-blowing, in retrospect.
With or without whiskey? Just kidding.

How about USA? Are they not based here?

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In

In that case, perhaps they should send Amir, Kal and a few others a Bach4Mac set up for formal review.
I like this even better. Because what do I know about what i’m hearing? Sure I can judge subjectively but i’m beholden to the music they play. Also I would have no idea if it’s a short term pleasure or it will stand the test of time.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Its amusing to me that so many pour endlessly over irrelevant SINAD stats and toil over new this or that in their pursuit of some kind of audio betterment . All the while only ever really distracting themselves with irrelevant bollocks .

This software actually dose change ( vastly ) one experience of music , over headphones and over speakers .

Of course one might not like what it dose or how deep you have to go into the software to get ultimate results in one's lounge or listening area .

For me it's too much hassle but if your at all interested in music reproduction, stereo , multichannel and hifi then you really should be getting your hands on this .

It dose insane things . Ime turning a inexpensive pair of headphones into something truly different, if your stuck with headphones you need to try this software. Over speakers , it separates the stereo image out like nothing iv ever experienced , bit weird almost but you can customise the experience within the software.

Over all its just far far more meaningful a experience and change than any bit of kit you might of swapped out and obsessed over .

kthulhutu

In all seriousness can I just put a thin acoustic panel at my nose extending outward?

The software price is not bad but there is no upgrade path to some of the features in the next edition up.

Also just as a question are not the recordings mixed with crosstalk when they are produced?
You can use a panel or a wall extending to your head between the speakers. It will need to be a thick broadband panel to get good results across the spectrum and would be very annoying to listen with but each to their own.

kthulhutu

I contacted them. The Babyface is around $600-650. They will take that much off. Me, I have a Motu M4, so if I bite, I'll just use that. I would start with the Basic, and work up to the Audiophile which is about another $3500. I already have a Smyth A16, so I would not go for the headphone unit. The top of the line upgrade is more for recordists and other content creators, I think. I will first have to see if I can get the Mac 1 Mini to assume the role of my regular HTPC from one of my Window's boxes. Primarily, I think the Mac will run JRiver and Dirac just fine, so all I need is PEQ (which I think is readily available) and a software based crossover which is, I think, a much harder nut to crack.

Also, I need to be sold a little further. Not completely sure of what it's doing, and whether it's really recovering information on the recording lost in the playback chain, or whether it's just creating a sound effect which dazzles initially by being different from what listeners are accustomed to hearing. Obviously, if it's the latter, it won't wear well for the long term. So yeah, I need further information.

Certainly would be helpful if it could be reviewed by ASR. Also why is a custom HRTF needed for this application? I can see why it's needed for the Smyth, but I'm not certain why it's needed for crosstalk cancellation, as well as the degree of benefit it confers, considering it's eye watering premium.
An ASR review of BACCH would be very nice actually.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I see so the headphone software is competing with Smyth Realizer and Genelec Aural ID. I bet it’s impressive.

What’s the speaker software exactly doing? The opposite? Cancelling all cross talk?

I don’t mean to say it does nothing as a cable change would do. It’s probably a huge change and done in software so no awkward acoustic panels needed. I wonder if I found a wall and put a speaker on each side. Probably cheaper than $5k.

My gripe is how it starts at $980 which is sort of in this hobby not terrible. But it seems for the smallest next feature all of a sudden $5k. So id rather avoid these gateway drugs.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can use a panel or a wall extending to your head between the speakers. It will need to be a thick broadband panel to get good results across the spectrum and would be very annoying to listen with but each to their own.
I have gik 244 panels everywhere around me. Trivial to just pick one up. Also have monster bass traps but those are in more entrenched positions.

I wonder if really the difference comes in the bass frequencies. Probably the mids and highs are the more important ones.

kthulhutu

I see so the headphone software is competing with Smyth Realizer and Genelec Aural ID. I bet it’s impressive.

What’s the speaker software exactly doing? The opposite? Cancelling all cross talk?

I don’t mean to say it does nothing as a cable change would do. It’s probably a huge change and done in software so no awkward acoustic panels needed. I wonder if I found a wall and put a speaker on each side. Probably cheaper than $5k.

My gripe is how it starts at $980 which is sort of in this hobby not terrible. But it seems for the smallest next feature all of a sudden $5k. So id rather avoid these gateway drugs.
BACCH is differen to both. BACCH hp filters let you simulate a pair of BACCHed loudspeakers (with reduced crosstalk) vs simulating normal speakers with crosstalk that Smyth and other solutions like Impulcifer do.

Aural ID is intended for creators to mix or monitor multichannel conveniently with headphones. It lacks head tracking or customization or any added room sound you would get from the real impulse responses used with Smyth and BACCH hp filters and thus wouldn't be very exciting for stereo playback over headphones (although it will convincingly render sound sources outside your head).
I've used it with BACCH and it can quite convincingly render a virtual multichannel setup around me using my speakers, although my room is treated and my BACCH measurements are close to optimal.

Btw Theoretica have a 14 days no questions asked refund policy on BACCH so it's safe to try if you already own a Mac.

kthulhutu

I have gik 244 panels everywhere around me. Trivial to just pick one up. Also have monster bass traps but those are in more entrenched positions.

I wonder if really the difference comes in the bass frequencies. Probably the mids and highs are the more important ones.
A 244 is too thin to get the intended effect. You would need to stack a bunch of soffit traps in a line between you and the speakers to get good, consistent absorption. This would be expensive and cumbersome so you would need to custom order an 8 inch (or thicker) freestanding panel of the right size or DIY.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
BACCH is differen to both. BACCH hp filters let you simulate a pair of BACCHed loudspeakers (with reduced crosstalk) vs simulating normal speakers with crosstalk that Smyth and other solutions like Impulcifer do.

Aural ID is intended for creators to mix or monitor multichannel conveniently with headphones. It lacks head tracking or customization or any added room sound you would get from the real impulse responses used with Smyth and BACCH hp filters and thus wouldn't be very exciting for stereo playback over headphones (although it will convincingly render sound sources outside your head).
I've used it with BACCH and it can quite convincingly render a virtual multichannel setup around me using my speakers, although my room is treated and my BACCH measurements are close to optimal.

Btw Theoretica have a 14 days no questions asked refund policy on BACCH so it's safe to try if you already own a Mac.
I see so you’ve used aural ID with Bacch?

Anyway seems like a lot to learn at the moment. Reduced crosstalk seems different from completely cancelled crosstalk.

This is where a lot of the confusion is coming from. All these other solutions like soffited traps and sending a negative polarity signal from the opposite side seem to want to completely cancel the crosstalk.

Also when it comes to bass it’s going to be everywhere. How important is that bass isolation? No matter what this software does bass is going to bleed. So i’m not understanding why exactly we need 20-20Khz isolation.

There is no doubt this is going to be a million times more impactful than a cable change. However when the “science” blurb reads like a cable blurb it’s hard not to raise those defenses. There is no consistent explanation on what exactly it is doing.

I

Last edited:

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is no doubt this is going to be a million times more impactful than a cable change. However when the “science” blurb reads like a cable blurb it’s hard not to raise those defenses. There is no consistent explanation on what exactly it is doing.
Yes, there is.

Gwreck

There is more research that gone into BACCH than most audio products that are held in high esteem. As a BACCH owner I can attest to the an amazing effect on the sound. The funny thing is that BACCH started as psychoacoustic and the audiophile interest part of it is only a small slice of what the software does. If anyone doubts BACCH then they have not done any investigation about the history of its development.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
T

This is very cool. I dabbled a bit in Ambisonics. It’s a very cool technology. I even have the sennheiser ambeo headset microphone here. I haven’t played with it much to be honest. (It’s only $50 and probably most audio geeks would do well to play with one).

It’s all very cool and has some amazing applications i’m sure. But is listening to studio recorded stereo music one of them?

This is basically binaural being reproduced in an actual space with loudspeakers.

The microphone techniques used to record binaural are completely different from what was used to make 99% of recorded music. It’s the sad truth.

Maybe it works pretty well for certain minimal microphone techniques used for classical recordings. However I can’t see this as something to use for studio created recordings. The entire protocol is different for those.

I wish we had a million 3rd order ambisonics recordings and cheap ways to play those back in a real space. From what limited research I did it’s very hard. There are limits on how big the sweetspot can be vs bandwidth capability.

The real application for that kind of higher order ambisonics is a multiplayer VR simulation space.

However this is not fully ambisonics. It’s more about binaural. Personally I would just wear headphones to listen to that one off binaural recording.

In fact I had 2 very nice binaural experiences as a kid. One was the well known barber shop hairdryer one at Epcot center. I believe this can be found on YouTube or other places.

The other was this guy who told stories and made all kinds of noises with his voice into a microphone. I forgot his name. His recordings were binaural and I really enjoyed them on my Walkman. Incredible sounding.

Now I don’t understand why one would go through the trouble of this for loudspeakers. (Maybe someone can help me with this concept especially with there being only one sweetspot). Headtracking headsets would be much better. Even for ambisonics let’s face it. Who can afford to put 64 speakers up in their listening space? Just get some nice headphones like the ones Valve made for their index headset.

This is all amazing research and I have a ton of respect for all of it. The best application is really VR. At the very least video games in general.

I wish more recordings were recorded in binaural then maybe I might want the loudspeaker version of it because I don’t like wearing headphones. However what valve did is a nice alternative. Maybe just a band around the head with those 2 BMR drivers.

It’s sad in a sense that music for sale or consumption is made as a product. There is no reference room or any band playing in said room. Literally tracks laid down by artists who could be on other sides of the planet are mixed together to create a product for consumption. The mixing engineer may be more important than the performer for our purposes.

How did they mix? They put two monitors in front of their face and mixed. My current setup replicates that.

If it were indeed a band playing in a space and a dummy head had 2 microphones in it then I would need this system.

This is basically a whole new format. It would take a massive change in the music industry and this software would have to be licensed and added to regular AVRs and car stereos.

Also everything he says about “optimal crosstalk” seems to be zero crosstalk.

It’s a loss on many fronts in the music industry. Apparently even in the 50s some companies wanted not stereo but 3 channel. It didn’t happen.

In the 70s we had ambisonics and quad. All failed. Even SACD and DVD-A are total failures.

I want some of this stuff but most people don’t care.

Realistically I would need to wear those sennheiser ambeo headsets to a concert that hopefully would get a live album release. Then compare the recordings.

Probably I would not care for my recoding with all kinds of distracting ambience of crowds. For classical concerts it could be a game changer. Classical music does not drive the industry unfortunately.

For all other types of concerts I would probably want the nice studio recording for playback on my regular 2 channel stereo. If someone did a nice 5.1 mix I would try that. But 2.5x my budget for so few recordings is a bit too rich for my blood. I’m still working on finishing my 2 channel system to the desired level of fidelity.

It’s nice they have commercialized this research. It’s very cool and I hope they get all the funding they need and more.

As a listener I suppose it would appeal mainly to classical listeners. Even then that is hard to say. You go to a classical performance and yes there is the idea of hearing that one flute and it’s coming from the right a bit from the middle of the performers. But the funny thing is the location of the performers is not really the point of listening to classical music.

It’s nice to have. But what most listeners want is an idea of the space and the acoustics of great music halls of the world. Yamaha was pushing this stuff back in the 90s. They went and measured a bunch of them and claimed their receivers would place your music in those spaces for you.

Maybe it actually worked if you listened in a treated room. But it never caught on because most people didn’t have that. For most people it was like okay there’s some added sense of space here. Probably unnatural to listen to rock or pop run through that DSP.

So there is this very precise sense of space and location that this technology can replicate. This fly around your head thing. It’s cool. But what we really want is “good enough”. Do I hear the instruments? Does it sound like it’s coming from a reasonable space?

This project/product does seems to target a certain demographic with specific music tastes and recording techniques with specific goals. Demo discs are fun don’t get me wrong but I can’t live off of those.

Edit: This sort of thing is going to be great for people who create VR software. No doubt valve corporation has this running on several machines. They would just buy 50 licenses of the top end version.

Last edited:

Theoretica Appl. Physics

Audio Company

Since a few people on this forum have asked the question “How does BACCH work?” we refer the technically-minded reader to the detailed theory behind BACCH presented in Chapter 5 of the textbook Immersive Sound: The Art and Science of Binaural and Multi-Channel Audio, Published by Focal Press. (Neither Theoretica, nor Prof. Choueiri, get any proceeds from the sales of this book.)

An excerpt of that chapter (with pages omitted for copyright reasons) can be downloaded from Theoretica’s web server. In particular, pages 160-164 describe the actual BACCH filter design method, and should answer some of the questions asked on this forum.

We refer the non-technical reader to Theoretica’s FAQ page on BACCH.

Regards,
Adam @ Thoeretica

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very interesting but most of that was in a language I do not understand. I did get some little out of it though.

Yea headphones suck for all those reasons. Absolutely they do.

The valve bmr headphones take care of a lot of that. In fact all of it except the bone conduction stuff.

However the really difficult thing here is that all of it depends on binaural recordings. That part stings.

Have we been using a flawed music creation and reproduction system for decades now? Without a doubt.

What can I do about it? Accept it? Deal with it?

I might actually be more interested if it would just derive a nice center channel from regular stereo recordings.

So there are colorations in the central image. Did the mixing engineer subconsciously correct for that?

But the problem is I don’t have his nose and face. That’s a real problem. We would need a database of mixing engineer nose/face profiles and HRTF of yourself and a correction applied.

I think I’ll just deal. Or switch to only listening to that guy who makes funny noises with his mouth. His recordings are great. I’m going to try to look him up.

It’s not Michael Winslow. However impressive he is. It’s an older guy.

Last edited:

Theoretica Appl. Physics

Audio Company
The microphone techniques used to record binaural are completely different from what was used to make 99% of recorded music. It’s the sad truth.

Maybe it works pretty well for certain minimal microphone techniques used for classical recordings. However I can’t see this as something to use for studio created recordings. The entire protocol is different for those.

Dear srrxr71,

Thank you for raising this question. It is indeed one that is often asked.

The following is a relevant (edited) excerpt from Question and Answer 5 of the BACCH FAQ page:

The vast majority of stereo recordings (and practically all recordings made in real acoustical spaces) contain spatial cues (inter-aural level difference, ILD cues, and inter-aural time difference, ITD cues) that would allow the ear-brain system to perceive the location of the sound source in 3D space, completely independent of the location of the speakers, if transmitted correctly to the listener. The problem (well-known among spatial audio scientists and engineers, but not well advertised in the commercial audio industry) is that crosstalk inherent to speakers-based playback limits the range of these cues at the listener’s position (to essentially the ILD and ITD values for sources located at, and between, the speakers) and the listener perceives mostly an image that is artificially anchored at the speakers with no 3D extent except for some 1-D extent (the phantom image) between the speakers. All that the BACCH filter does is remove the artifice of crosstalk (without introducing any other artifacts) so these inherent spatial cues are perceived correctly by the listener. The brain of the listener does the rest of work by interpreting these (ILD and ITD) cues to locate the perceived sound source in 3D space.

While binaural recordings contains very realistic ILD and ITD cues, as well as spectral cues (since the recording is done with microphones inside the ears of a human-like head), and are obviously hurt by the crosstalk, any acoustic stereo recording is either based on ITD cues (if recorded with spaced omni mics) or ILD cues (if recorded with ORTF, XY, coincident etc. mics) which also get corrupted if played back through speakers without removing the crosstalk. Therefore one should expect the BACCH filter to improve the spatial realism of most such stereo recordings, not only binaural ones.

Of course in the case of music not recorded in a real acoustic place (which is the case of most non-classical/non-jazz music) the ILD or ITD cues are artificial and are due to level and/or time-based panning done by the mixing engineer. This only means that the 3D image is artificial in the first place but it still contains ILD and ITD cues and one should still expect the BACCH filter, which purifies the audio playback from crosstalk, to project/extrude the image (albeit artificially) in 3D space (as to opposed to leave it spatially confined, also artificially, between the two speakers).

The claim that playback of most regular stereo recordings is compatible with, and is greatly enhanced by, BACCH® 3D Sound was verified independently by well-known audio critics who listened extensively to various regular stereo recordings though the BACCH filter (see some of the reviews on this webpage).

I hope that the above explanation is helpful.

Adam @ Theoretica

Top Bottom