• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

B&W 804 D4 review and measurements by Stereophile

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Last time I visited they were using 801s, to keep the doors open.
Keith
Can you show us where those doors are, please?

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nope. Abbey uses 801 diamonds from B&w along with most of the high end recording studios. no genelec or Neumann. Check the website of abbey. You see the B&w speakers.
I think there is a common misunderstanding about the purpose of control rooms in recording studios. I was recently in the control room at Abbey Road Studio 1. The B&Ws in there(800 D3) sound fine, they get the job done. They're certainly not amazing, and the room itself is a bit too dead to really sound good for stereo anyways. That probably helps the speakers since off-axis response doesn't matter as much. The seating positions of the various people working on the recording are all over the place. The room is not optimized for great sound either, as stated by the senior recording engineer on duty at the time. Not my opinion. The large glass window causes undesirable reflections and the large console causes bass issues.

During the process of recording, they're not EQing the sound or adjusting microphones based on what comes out of those speakers. They're for monitoring the music that is being recorded -- what typically gets adjusted is the musicians playing the music.

The place where the sound of the final output is decided is the mixing/mastering studios. Some of those(especially classical ones) do still use B&Ws, but many do not. And in general, most competent studios are going to check music on several different models of speaker before finalizing it, not just 1.

Geert

Major Contributor
Maybe a picture of The Penthouse studio that didn't pass their commercial guy? Look what's on top of the console:

Screenshot_20220401_232609.jpg

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe a picture of The Penthouse studio that didn't pass their commercial guy? Look what's on top of the console:
There is an equipment list here. Smaller, optional monitors are available for use from many brands including Genelec and Adam.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The place where the sound of the final output is decided is the mixing/mastering studios.
Which the Penthouse Studio is, using D800…

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
PMC have also paid for their turn to be seen at Abbey Road.
Keith

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Which the Penthouse Studio is, using D800…
Well, the whole place is just tools for people to produce music, right? If you want your whole album produced there on B&W speakers using their engineers, I'm sure you can have that. I would be pretty surprised(and question the competence of) any audio engineer tasked to mixing/mastering who would ADVISE their clients to do that though. There's a reason they have all those other monitors.

In general I think most of their biggest clients do mixing/mastering elsewhere though. Especially US-based film studios and musicians.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In general I think most of their biggest clients do mixing/mastering elsewhere though.
You do realise that we are talking about Abbey Road Studios, right?

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You do realise that we are talking about Abbey Road Studios, right?
Yes. The place where the majority of their business now is film scores. I would guess US-based film productions usually do mixing and mastering at US studios around LA.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes. The place where the majority of their business now is film scores. I would guess US-based film productions usually do mixing and mastering at US studios around LA.
Source?

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It was stated by the engineers while I was there that they mostly recorded film scores and the manager of the composer noted that, to get time in Abbey Road Studio 1 specifically, you generally had to "challenge" a bunch of dates 18 months in advance and pre-pay for the time then, because the vast majority of the dates were blocked off for major film studios. So then they would give you the date(s) if the owner of the larger block didn't object(and I assume also pre-pay and specify the project needing that date block, wasn't too clear on what happened if they rejected all of your challenges).

We're getting pretty far afield though. My point was mainly it's a wrong assumption that the use of these B&Ws in recording studios imply that they have a substantial effect on the final sound. IF they're used for mixing/mastering, then they obviously would, but that is by no means the rule even at studios that heavily advertise B&W use. They still have other stuff available and use it, as I would expect from any competent professionals.

Mixing/Mastering on one brand or even worse one model of speaker doesn't really make any sense.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It was stated by the engineers while I was there that they mostly recorded film scores and the manager of the composer noted that, to get time in Abbey Road Studio 1 specifically, you generally had to "challenge" a bunch of dates 18 months in advance and pre-pay for the time then, because the vast majority of the dates were blocked off for major film studios. So then they would give you the date(s) if the owner of the larger block didn't object(and I assume also pre-pay and specify the project needing that date block, wasn't too clear on what happened if they rejected all of your challenges).

We're getting pretty far afield though. My point was mainly it's a wrong assumption that the use of these B&Ws in recording studios imply that they have a substantial effect on the final sound. IF they're used for mixing/mastering, then they obviously would, but that is by no means the rule even at studios that heavily advertise B&W use. They still have other stuff available and use it, as I would expect from any competent professionals.

Mixing/Mastering on one brand or even worse one model of speaker doesn't really make any sense.
You are generalising the studios based on the studio 1 being used for large orchestras. It is designed specifically for that but Abbey Road Studios have six studios. They record everything from classical to film scores to pop. They are owned by UMC, the world’s largest label.

Meanwhile, my comments were started as a reply to this unfortunate comment.
Last time I visited they were using 801s, to keep the doors open.
Keith

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You are generalising the studios based on the studio 1 being used for large orchestras. It is designed specifically for that but Abbey Road Studios have six studios. They record everything from classical to film scores to pop. They are owned by UMC, the world’s largest label.

Fair enough.

I also disagree with that comment, B&Ws are still widely used there and elsewhere. I'd rather they weren't, but that applies to plenty of things, and the circle of confusion isn't going away any time soon.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nope. Abbey uses 801 diamonds from B&w along with most of the high end recording studios. no genelec or Neumann. Check the website of abbey. You see the B&w speakers.
The Dolby Atmos mixing studio uses Revel. Pix online, someplace... Revel matches each speaker to a reference curve.
Just because some use it, that doesn't make it the rule, look for example what big broadcasting studios use all over the world which need to fullfil 24/7 the requirement list I wrote above and you won't really see passive hifi loudspeakers but the mentioned pro studio monitors. Sound quality and neutrality wise a Revel at least wouldn't be a problem but that is not enough for real professional use.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

Not unfortunate at all when I visited there were B&W 800 speakers left in the corridor and another pair were being used to keep some swing doors open.
Keith

Top Bottom