• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AVR Transformer Hum

NismoZ

I've had this AVR Pioneer SC-07 since new back in 2008. Trying to fix some transformer hum that's starting to become audible over the last couple years. I have a bunch of IT hardware assembly experience, so I was thinking of trying to follow this video and re-gluing the transformer fins together. Will that work with the transformer that I have here? And secondly, if I unplug the power and then this transformer, there is no residual power in the transformer, only in capacitors?

1696369842095.png

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
And secondly, if I unplug the power and then this transformer, there is no residual power in the transformer, only in capacitors?

Capacitors hold a charge.

Transformers work while alternating current flows through the primary, they aren't storage devices in this application.

Top Bottom