• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

autoeq.app Is a Web Application for Equalizing Headphones the Easy Way

OP
jaakkopasanen

jaakkopasanen

Thanks a lot! Sorry if I'm asking too much, but what is the 711/5128 Delta target useful for?
It's one attempt at replicating Harman targets on Bruel & Kjaer 5128 rig. Not sure if it's useful in the end because the 5128 diffuse field with tilt exists.

jb90

It's one attempt at replicating Harman targets on Bruel & Kjaer 5128 rig. Not sure if it's useful in the end because the 5128 diffuse field with tilt exists.
Your app is amazing Jaakko! I love to use it to eq my headphones but I would like to see 2 more target curve to choose. SoundGuys Studio and Commercial headphones targets. Btw. Which targets are appropriate for professional headphones callibration? Which would you use to make headphones useful for mixing and music production? Thanks!

seanlovejay

hello i wanna ask that does "Diffuse Field 5128 (-1 dB /oct)" means to give yot the b and k 5128 curve? thanks

Last edited:
OP
jaakkopasanen

jaakkopasanen

Your app is amazing Jaakko! I love to use it to eq my headphones but I would like to see 2 more target curve to choose. SoundGuys Studio and Commercial headphones targets. Btw. Which targets are appropriate for professional headphones callibration? Which would you use to make headphones useful for mixing and music production? Thanks!
The default targets are the best guesses for neutral. That's the best for mixing too. I've decided not to add reviewer targets as they have little evidence for why they would be good and AutoEq has extensive options for the user to tweak the sound to their individual liking.

hello i wanna ask that does "Diffuse Field 5128 (-1 dB /oct)" means to give yot the b and k 5128 curve? thanks
It's a diffuse field response of the BK 5128 rig with a 1 dB per octave downward (dark/warm) tilt. There's no similar published research for 5128 as there is for GRAS rigs (Harman target) and this one is the best guess at the moment for the most neutral target for 5128.

Volutrik

The default targets are the best guesses for neutral. That's the best for mixing too. I've decided not to add reviewer targets as they have little evidence for why they would be good and AutoEq has extensive options for the user to tweak the sound to their individual liking.

It's a diffuse field response of the BK 5128 rig with a 1 dB per octave downward (dark/warm) tilt. There's no similar published research for 5128 as there is for GRAS rigs (Harman target) and this one is the best guess at the moment for the most neutral target for 5128.
Based on your expertise, do you think that this would work as an alternative for headphones not yet measured using the 5128?
1- You would get several measurements done using the 5128 gear
2- You would offset some GRAS measurements for the same headphones to the 5128 ones, and then get a delta function by that
3- Theoretically, this would give you the average difference between a GRAS and a 5128 measurement, and then you could "predict" the frequency response of other headphones measured using the 5128
4- Then, you could add this difference to any GRAS measurement and EQ any headphone to the 5128 Diffuse Field target

This could be a solution to not yet measured headphones using this gear. My IEMs, which were measured using the 5128, for example, definitely sound better when EQ'd to that. I wish I could hear how my over ears sound as well :)

PS: If I understood it right, the already existing 5128 Delta target on autoeq.app is supposed to mimic how the Harman target would sound to 5128 measurements. It's not what I supposed here. Please correct me if I'm wrong :D

Last edited:

jb90

Thank you for reply. Which targets are "default targets" for pro application then and from which ones to choose? Thank you.

Zensō

Major Contributor
Thank you for reply. Which targets are "default targets" for pro application then and from which ones to choose? Thank you.
Just my $.02. Sonarworks SoundID is as close to a studio standard for headphone correction that exists. The Sonarworks curve is similar to Harman, but with a bass shelf that starts approximately 1-1.5 octaves lower. So if you don’t use Sonarworks but want to try an approximation of their curve, I would EQ to Harman and shift the bass shelf down as shown. In this image, Harman is blue, Sonarworks is gray.

IMG_1591.jpeg

jb90

Just my $.02. Sonarworks SoundID is as close to a studio standard for headphone correction that exists. The Sonarworks curve is similar to Harman, but with a bass shelf that starts approximately 1-1.5 octaves lower. So if you don’t use Sonarworks but want to try an approximation of their curve, I would EQ to Harman and shift the bass shelf down as shown. In this image, Harman is blue, Sonarworks is gray.

View attachment 296190
Wow! Great! Thanks. I always wonder which target Sonarworks use. Interesting. This Harman is 2018 On-Ear? And 60 db will be a "center" 0db on the +/- graph I guess? Btw. i noticed that most of those targets have quite shy treble and not so open sound as I expect. And some have unnatural boosted bass too. It sounds nice to average listening but for studio application? I guess not so much. But maybe I demand too much from just small drivers like those in headphones...

Volutrik

acerto

View attachment 296190
Interesting! I compared the Sonarworks target vs the 5128 Diffuse Field target with -0.8dB Tilt and the treble differs a lot. A lot of criticism I've seen about the Sonarworks target is that the accuracy of their treble correction is unreliable, simply because they don't make anything public about their measurements, other than "the default correction is an average based on several measurements of the same headphone model". 5128 measurements on the other hand have very solid explanations on to why they're reliable and even the best ones at the moment. Trusting the Sonarworks target is kind of a taking a shot in the dark. I'd much rather trust the Harman target, which has very well documented research explaining it, or even the tilted Diffuse Field target if you have a headphone that happens to be measured on a 5128 rig. Just my 2 cents

Attachments

• target comparison.png
    target comparison.png
    82.8 KB · Views: 68

Zensō

Major Contributor
Wow! Great! Thanks. I always wonder which target Sonarworks use. Interesting. This Harman is 2018 On-Ear? And 60 db will be a "center" 0db on the +/- graph I guess? Btw. i noticed that most of those targets have quite shy treble and not so open sound as I expect. And some have unnatural boosted bass too. It sounds nice to average listening but for studio application? I guess not so much. But maybe I demand too much from just small drivers like those in headphones...
That’s the Harman 2018 Over-Ear. Which headphones are you using?

Keep in mind that mix translation is the priority when EQing headphones for studio use, not what sounds good to your personal preference. These are often not the same. This has nothing to do with the size of the drivers in headphones.

Contrary to conventional wisdom, a growing number of engineers are now mixing and mastering in headphones, including a number of well-established Grammy winners. Besides the convenience, >80% of music is now consumed in headphones, so it makes sense that mixing/mastering in headphones is more relevant today than in years past.

Last edited:

Zensō

Major Contributor
acerto

Interesting! I compared the Sonarworks target vs the 5128 Diffuse Field target with -0.8dB Tilt and the treble differs a lot. A lot of criticism I've seen about the Sonarworks target is that the accuracy of their treble correction is unreliable, simply because they don't make anything public about their measurements, other than "the default correction is an average based on several measurements of the same headphone model". 5128 measurements on the other hand have very solid explanations on to why they're reliable and even the best ones at the moment. Trusting the Sonarworks target is kind of a taking a shot in the dark. I'd much rather trust the Harman target, which has very well documented research explaining it, or even the tilted Diffuse Field target if you have a headphone that happens to be measured on a 5128 rig. Just my 2 cents
Sonarworks has always been protective of their intellectual property, which I believe has made them less popular among headphone hobbyists. Their target was arguably more well-researched than Harman though, and among pros in recording studios, Sonarworks is clearly the standard for headphone correction.

Here’s a white paper on their approach written by Helmuts Bems, founder and CEO of Sonarworks:

Last edited:

jb90

acerto

Thanks. Do you have .csv files of those targets? I just want to achieve the most "neutral" target for music production for headphones. I know that there's no such thing but I wanna get as close as it is possible with available measurements.

Last edited:

jb90

That’s the Harman 2018 Over-Ear. Which headphones are you using?

Keep in mind that mix translation is the priority when EQing headphones for studio use, not what sounds good to your personal preference. These are often not the same. This has nothing to do with the size of the drivers in headphones.
I have different headphones. From "budget" AKG K240MKII to Beyerdynamic 770 and Sennheiser HD650. That's why I want to find that "neutral production/mixing/critical listening target" and eq my headphones to it to achieve that "mix translation" you said and not trap in "tweaking eq to my taste" thing. Thanks!

Last edited:

Volutrik

Thanks. Do you have .csv files of those targets? I just want to achieve the most "neutral" target for music production for headphones. I know that there's no such thing but I wanna get as close as it is possible with available measurements.
Sure! Here you can find 5128 measurements: B&K 5128 graph database Then you can use https://apps.automeris.io/wpd/ to convert the frequency response graph to a CSV file, then all you'll have to do is upload the Frequency Response CSV to autoeq.app, select the Diffuse Field 5128 (-1 dB /oct) and be happy :) You can learn how to convert a graph to CSV here: Equalizing Headphones the Easy Way

PS: After you get the final values from WebPlotDigitizer, you'll need to paste them into a notepad and replace all of the "," to "." and all of the ";" to "," because WebPlotDigitizer doesn't format the values as they need to be by default anymore.

markanini

Major Contributor
IME the best results were from using Harman 2019 as a base. Followed that with a by-ear manual EQ, listening to a familiar songs and adjusting until the balance is the same as on speakers. A set of dual shelfs and a single peak filter is plenty, and probably no more than 2 dB max adjustments is needed, assuming you dont have some fitting issue.

jb90

Why does the undesirable "flat" target sound best to me, makes no sense.
I tried to eq my headphones to flat too. It sounds good BUT lack of "excitement" in 3k+ region is hearable. And sometimes some headphones sounds not so good eq'd flat in subbass and high treble regions. That's why most targets roll-off quite hard below 10-12k. I think that there's overall problem with measurements of freq response of headphones (most of them are accurate from about 100hz to 8-10khz but below and above that it's always more compromise in measurements than real thing) and most important - everybody's ears and hearing are different which are not included in any target response. But that's for "everyday listening" and your listening pleasure I would say. For professionals like music producers, engineers and mixers THERE SHOULD BE "ideal" target that headphones or even monitors give you as neutral flat response as they can which is independent from your hearing, preferences and so on.

Btw. I made yesterday SoundGuys Stufio Target Curve in .csv file. You can try it. Sounds quite good for my ears. Not so bassy and dull in treble like harman but not so overbright like 5128. Enjoy ;)

Attachments

• SoundGuysStudioCurve.zip
    827 bytes · Views: 63
Last edited:

Tallulah

Why does the undesirable "flat" target sound best to me, makes no sense.
Ears are very good at acommodating to different sound signatures... Some days ago I did a test to evaluate the treble quality of headphones using a -15 dB EQ to all frequencies under 2 kHz. After a couple of minutes I switched back to normal and it sounded terrible to my ears. I guess it is much more important that there are no big spikes or dips rather than the overall sound signature, since our ears can adapt very well. Flat sounds bad to me at first but after some minutes it sounds great.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
As for reviewer targets, you can pull them from any graphtool instance quite easily using your browser's console/tools and import that autoeq.app manually
I am completely ignorant here, so my apology for leaning on your knowledge to learn. Are you able to provide an example of doing this and if it isn't too much trouble, where and what tools in say MS Edge would one use?

jae

Major Contributor
I am completely ignorant here, so my apology for leaning on your knowledge to learn. Are you able to provide an example of doing this and if it isn't too much trouble, where and what tools in say MS Edge would one use?
I don't use edge so I'm not sure where you can see it out of the box, but you can use the Ublock origin addon in any browser (which I assuse most should be using anyway...) -> open logger -> click on the target(s) or load the headphones you want in graphtool UI and the direct URL to the text files should show up listed in the logger

Top Bottom