• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

autoeq.app Is a Web Application for Equalizing Headphones the Easy Way

OP
jaakkopasanen

jaakkopasanen

Some hotfixes
  • Player now works on Chrome
  • Player progress bar doesn't get stuck anymore when switching tracks
  • Logo sizes and front page layout fixed / improved on mobile devices

jensgk

Forum Donor
autoeq.app is a web app using AutoEq but now with a graphical user interface in the browser without needing to install anything yourself. All the same features and power that has made AutoEq great is now available on any device in your browser. The main driver behind developing a web app was to give an easy way for users to tweak their experience and not needing to settle for the single preset.

Thank you so much! This is very cool :)

One question: Why does the "EqualizerAPO ParametricEq" parameters change (a little) with Sample Rate? I thought parametric eq was independent of sample rate?

threni

Major Contributor
Looks good.

Are all PEQ options identical? Ie there's no CamillaDSP option so just use the EqualizerIPO one? Maybe you could add a generic PEQ option near the top of the list?

OP
jaakkopasanen

jaakkopasanen

Thank you so much! This is very cool :)

One question: Why does the "EqualizerAPO ParametricEq" parameters change (a little) with Sample Rate? I thought parametric eq was independent of sample rate?
The filter shape starts to get squeezed near Nyquist frequency (half the sample rate)

OP
jaakkopasanen

jaakkopasanen

Looks good.

Are all PEQ options identical? Ie there's no CamillaDSP option so just use the EqualizerIPO one? Maybe you could add a generic PEQ option near the top of the list?
Yes and no. Different apps have different number of filters available and different min and max values for gain and Q but they are mostly the same. You could use Peace for example as a substitute for a generic parametric eq. Or the custom parametri eq option which allows you to configure the max and min values and the number of filters.

kysa

Adjustable knobs instead of the Rohsa's graphtool approach is truly a killer feature, but! It would be great if you were to preload some of the well-established reviewer targets. BGGAR, Antdroid / Tea2, Oratory IE and OE just to name a few.

Squig.link's subdomain for each reviewer approach might also be an option.

threni

Major Contributor
Yes and no. Different apps have different number of filters available and different min and max values for gain and Q but they are mostly the same. You could use Peace for example as a substitute for a generic parametric eq. Or the custom parametri eq option which allows you to configure the max and min values and the number of filters.
Thanks.
For moOde, on the Pi Zero, I'm a little stuck. You cannot use CamillaDsp (the cpu is too puny); the PEQ only has peak filters, and the EQ doesn't have a preamp option plus the gain values for each band inexplicably range between 28 to 94 (presumably this isn't dB!). Is there some way of having your webpage create PEQ figures using only peak filters?

Last edited:

Spyart

1. I'll think about it. Definitely you can do this with profiles already since those are kept between sessions.
2. I know. I'll fix this hopefully today.
3. Provably no but I'll give it a think. Restructuring is always quite the pain.
4. Profiles save the targets as intended. Or am I missing something?
thanks! player works like a charm
I don't know if it's too much, but what do you think on that - would it be possible to show ranking list of all headphones (like you did on github page) according chosen settings and target? For example to find IEM to buy that would be fit to my settings or for something else

OP
jaakkopasanen

jaakkopasanen

Thanks.
For moOde, on the Pi Zero, I'm a little stuck. You cannot use CamillaDsp (the cpu is too puny); the PEQ only has peak filters, and the EQ doesn't have a preamp option plus the gain values for each band inexplicably range between 28 to 94 (presumably this isn't dB!). Is there some way of having your webpage create PEQ figures using only peak filters?
Peaking only can be done with the Custom Parametric Eq and making all filters peaking. Add more filters if the eq supports more (but no more than 15ish). I've no idea about the 28-94 value range though, this definitely won't work with AutoEq.

OP
jaakkopasanen

jaakkopasanen

thanks! player works like a charm
I don't know if it's too much, but what do you think on that - would it be possible to show ranking list of all headphones (like you did on github page) according chosen settings and target? For example to find IEM to buy that would be fit to my settings or for something else
Ranking and comparing headphones is quite different use-case than what this app is made for.

threni

Major Contributor
Peaking only can be done with the Custom Parametric Eq and making all filters peaking. Add more filters if the eq supports more (but no more than 15ish). I've no idea about the 28-94 value range though, this definitely won't work with AutoEq.
Seems that's an alsamixer restriction/unit choice. I'll stick to PEQ.

Any chance you can allow the user to select local flac files to audition?
Also, save multiple configs and switch between them as easily as we can switch between equalizer apps?
And I'll second (third?) the above - on a normal aspect ratio monitor there's unused space at the sides but you have to scroll to see all the settings in the custom peq equalizer.

Having said that, I'm not sure I'm using this right. When I change parameters in any "equalizer app" (by which I mean in the "equalizer app" section of the webpage) it changes the sound. But if I click on, say, "easyeffects/pulse effects" it's telling me to download and install something. I'm using your webpage on a linux PC with the intention of, having created a good config, to enter the parameter into other devices (UAPP on Android, moOde on a Pi). Is this workflow supported?

Last edited:
OP
jaakkopasanen

jaakkopasanen

Seems that's an alsamixer restriction/unit choice. I'll stick to PEQ.

Any chance you can allow the user to select local flac files to audition?
Also, save multiple configs and switch between them as easily as we can switch between equalizer apps?
And I'll second (third?) the above - on a normal aspect ratio monitor there's unused space at the sides but you have to scroll to see all the settings in the custom peq equalizer.

Having said that, I'm not sure I'm using this right. When I change parameters in any "equalizer app" (by which I mean in the "equalizer app" section of the webpage) it changes the sound. But if I click on, say, "easyeffects/pulse effects" it's telling me to download and install something. I'm using your webpage on a linux PC with the intention of, having created a good config, to enter the parameter into other devices (UAPP on Android, moOde on a Pi). Is this workflow supported?
I could look into fusing your own tracks. This has been requested before.

Saving multiple configs? You can create profiles which save all of the current parameters in the left panel but not in the eq apps. Is this what you're looking for?

Needing to scroll on wide-screen displays has also been brought up. I'll consider restructuring.

Changing eq apps changes sound because the eq in the player simulates the selected eq. The instructions in the blue box are for when you're happy with the sound (are done with AutoEq) and want to move the settings to your equalizer app. Perhaps I could try tho clarify this.

threni

Major Contributor
Saving multiple configs? You can create profiles which save all of the current parameters in the left panel but not in the eq apps. Is this what you're looking for?
I don't really understand the target stuff on the left. As I see it, there are measurements for each pair of headphones, showing how it differs from a neutral set of numbers. I guess the targets represent different versions of that neutral? And the default is "Harman Over-ear 2018"?
But yes, I'd like to create a number of "eq app" definitions so I can instantly click between them to hear the difference. It would be nice if these could be saved somehow (bookmark/local file/cookie) so they're not wiped away with F5/quit.
Re: the custom peq:
1) you don't seem to be able to delete the last filter
2) would it be possible to remove the min/max stuff and just have a single value for each filter?
3) all but the first and last filters are unpopulated in the filter config (but the full list appears beneath them). perhaps this is related to how the targets are configured
4) it would be great if as much config as possible was controllable via controls you slide/twist rather than enter. Like the values in the target section. Current to change a single filter I have to enter the same frequency twice, then the same q twice, then the same gain twice. Ideally i'd slide the freq left and right the gain up and down and perhaps the q left and right too, if that makes sense?

Changing eq apps changes sound because the eq in the player simulates the selected eq. The instructions in the blue box are for when you're happy with the sound (are done with AutoEq) and want to move the settings to your equalizer app. Perhaps I could try tho clarify this.
Got it.

Thanks for listening! :)

OP
jaakkopasanen

jaakkopasanen

More improvements and bug fixes:
  • Horizontal layout on full hd and wider screens eliminates the need to scroll between knobs and the graph
  • SoundSource imports fixed
  • Stereo filters for convolver equalizers fixed
Screenshot 2023-05-18 095300.png

jae

Major Contributor
It would be great if you were to preload some of the well-established reviewer targets. BGGAR, Antdroid / Tea2, Oratory IE and OE just to name a few.
This is a rare case where I will disagree- most "reviewer targets" are complete nonsense and I have spent enough time on squig.link to know that virtually all of them have no idea what they are talking about, and their inclusion will only serve to confuse/overwhelm people and further clutter an already busy interface. The ones that are included already is quite sufficient- I think a default list should only include objective targets/standards with some sort of academic rigour behind them or otherwise very useful targets and targets of contributors to measurements used in the AutoEQ database. As for reviewer targets, you can pull them from any graphtool instance quite easily using your browser's console/tools and import that autoeq.app manually.

jae

Major Contributor
More improvements and bug fixes:
  • Horizontal layout on full hd and wider screens eliminates the need to scroll between knobs and the graph
  • SoundSource imports fixed
  • Stereo filters for convolver equalizers fixed
View attachment 286241
Personally I like the idea the horizontal view even on smaller screens, it it much more friendly to see the graph and everything in context while adjusting. Graph could be smaller to compensate since having a "large" graph is not that important to relay the information. I always find "on screen" knobs very clunky and unfriendly to use especially with a mouse, textboxes alone or even textboxes with sliders next to them w/ the suggested ranges (I presume sliders could be keyboard friendly too) would save a lot of space in the UI and make the "profiles" box a lot more compact and easy to operate, which also helps with the wider view. Equilizer box could also be under the graph easily to use the already occupied vertical space.

Top Bottom