• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AudioQuest JitterBug USB Filter Review

Veri

Master Contributor
You guys are funny, so I must have been gaslightning myself to think that when I changed my solid core Monster cables, to some regular stranded copper cables, and reacted by thinking where the h… did that bass come from, it was pure imagination.
If the regular and fancy cables both work as they should, there could not possibly be such a drastic difference. So unless one is very very badly made, it seems unlikely for your story to be something we could reproduce.

Navlefnuller

But what about e.g. capacitance in cables, which effects the sound of a cartridge towards a darker or brighter sound. This shouldn’t mean anything when the cable is measured by itself, but effects the equipment down the line. My old Pioneer has variable capacitance, and turning the knob makes an audible difference when I listen to vinyl.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
But what about e.g. capacitance in cables, which effects the sound of a catridge towards a darker og brighter sound. This shouldn’t mean anything when the cable is measured by itself, but effects the equipment down the line. My old Pioneer has variable capacitance, and turning the knob makes an audible difference.
You are now way off topic. I'd suggest you take it to one of the various threads about measurements.

Raindog123

Major Contributor
I am in the wrong forum

Can we make ASR 'your' forum? What would it take? Are you looking for a 'yes-sir' or would like a two-way (!) discussion backed by reasonable arguments?

Please realize that with you just arriving and the topic (whatever it is) is fresh for you... this forum sees the same 'statement' (often delivered the same way, verbatim) at least once a week for the past three years or so... Loses its charm after a while (and makes folks grumpy)... But the keyword search seems to be working well, for me.

arancano

Drama is entertaining. So are arguments and debates. Just witness the talking heads on sports TV shows. Here is my viewpoint. My profession is helping companies hire good fitting employees by assessing and matching personality types with the traits that a job requires.

The fact is that there are analytical folks and sensory folks. The analytical personality types will swear by measurements and the sensory types will swear by listening. The twin shall never meet because personalities are for the most part baked in to us.

I am about 65% sensory and 35% analytical. I value the objective, numbers-driven evaluations and recommendations in this site because numbers matter. I think Amir does a great service to audio. Measurements are not the whole story but they matter. I use the numbers but I also do the listening when I evaluate gear. I don't think you can make a holistic recommendation without considering both.

I doubt if that will ever happen without drama because it's not as much fun. Our desire to bash is strong. Fortunately, I played high school and college football. I loved hitting people and got it out of my system. It exhausted me from wanting to bash anyone as an audiophile. That, and my personality not being toward one or the other extremes helps me to appreciate both analytical and sensory points of view.

Last edited:

KSTR

Major Contributor
The fact is that there are analytical folks and sensory folks. The analytical personality types will swear by measurements and the sensory types will swear by listening. The twin shall never meet because personalities are for the most part baked in to us
I don't think that there is this divide. What about people who measure their accuracy of listening impressions, that is, those who (a) trust their "gut feeling" in the first place but (b) are determined enough to back it up in controlled testing, like ABX?

Navlefnuller

Drama is entertaining. So are arguments and debates. Just witness the talking heads on sports TV shows. Here is my viewpoint. My profession is helping companies hire good fitting employees by assessing and matching personality types with the traits that a job requires.

The fact is that there are analytical folks and sensory folks. The analytical personality types will swear by measurements and the sensory types will swear by listening. The twin shall never meet because personalities are for the most part baked in to us.

I am about 65% sensory and 35% analytical. I value the objective, numbers-driven evaluations and recommendations in this site because numbers matter. I think Amir does a great service to audio. Measurements are not the whole story but they matter. I use the numbers but I also do the listening when I evaluate gear. I don't think you can make a holistic recommendation without considering both.

I doubt if that will ever happen without drama because it's not as much fun. Our desire to bash is strong. Fortunately, I played high school and college football. I loved hitting people and got it out of my system. It exhausted me from wanting to bash anyone as an audiophile. That, and my personality not being toward one or the other extremes helps me to appreciate both analytical and sensory points of view.
Well said.

arancano

I "dramatized" the divide for the sake of clarity. You are right. Whenever you can supplement one approach with the other you end up in a better place. Many people are capable of understanding and executing both approaches and there are scenarios where both approaches can happen and make sense.

Veri

Master Contributor
Why, because it doesn’t align with your opionen? I thought different opinions make for interesting discussions.
Here, something like "I didn't need to do a proper test, it was so obvious, my wife who was in the same room also said so" is just a major sign of arrogance, not of superiority of even the faintest form of credibility of proof. What do we care you're "certain"? Never made for much of an argument.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Why, because it doesn’t align with your opionen? I thought different opinions make for interesting discussions.
See, this is where I knew this would go.

Have a good night. I would advise others to give this one a wide berth.

Navlefnuller

Here, something like "I didn't need to do a proper test, it was so obvious, my wife who was in the same room also said so" is just a major sign of arrogance, not of superiority of even the faintest form of credibility of proof. What do we care you're "certain"? Never made for much of an argument.
My wife had already left the room ;-)

Veri

Master Contributor
My wife had already left the room ;-)
I wonder why LOL ;) no sorry just a joke~~~

But yeah usually there's the wife added to further the "obviousness" of it. Bit of a straw man.

Navlefnuller

I know, I have seen that argument used on many a fora. As a curiosum, I found an interesting article about my Rega DAC, which have a nice flat frequency response when measured, and yet adds more oomph to the sound, which puzzles the reviewers. Very interesting, and with a reply from Rega if you read on at the bottom. Something about sidebands at 120 and 240hz https://www.stereophile.com/content/rega-dac-da-processor-measurements
Could be interesting with @amirm s take on this.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
I know, I have seen that argument used on many a fora. As a curiosum, I found an interesting article about my Rega DAC, which have a nice flat frequency response when measured, and yet adds more oomph to the sound, which puzzles the reviewers. Very interesting, and with a reply from Rega if you read on at the bottom. Something about sidebands at 120 and 240hz https://www.stereophile.com/content/rega-dac-da-processor-measurements
Could be interesting with @amirm s take on this.
When one speaks of a "weight" or "tone density", not at all seen in the as you say, nice flat frequency response, I do wonder what it is we're supposed to hear though. I believe that in a nice controlled A-B test versus a no-brand but also excellent DAC, the perceived density will vanish as if it was never there in the first place. That's what previous tests have shown me at least...

Take away the bias and I reckon the magic disappears along with it ;)

Top Bottom