• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiopraise VanityPro Review (HDMI Audio Extractor)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 77 49.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 59 37.8%

• Total voters

PavelV

Audio Company
For the next few days you can get the VanityPRO a little cheaper! To celebrate the High End show in Munich, JVB Digital offer a discount that you can get in our Facebook post.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If spatial audio means Dolby Atmos, I am afraid Apple TV cannot decode this format into PCM and nor the VanityPRO.

Oof, this is what I was worried about with the Apple TV. Someone said you can get it to output separate streams that aren't Dolby, but as far as I know, everything is moving towards Dolby Atmos (Which from a practical standpoint is also every other Dolby format.)

Is it Dolby Atmos specifically that it can't decode?

Does anyone have an Apple TV and can you stream surround sound music and movies on this device or is it only compatible with a decoder in front of it, LPCM from a Nintendo Switch, and a PC with LPCM outputs?

I wish a Dolby decoder were an option, even if it cost $1000 since the next options for digital output are JBL SDP systems and then you need to play the Dante dongle game.

PavelV

Audio Company
Dolby Atmos has to be rendered specifically for a target application - number of channels, position, etc. It is not something that can be done generically. Together with being computationally intensive, this is why Atmos decoding is not found in players, streamers and other AV source devices. Vast majority of content on AppleTV is still in non-spatial multichannel formats, which ATV can decode and output as raw LPCM (non Atmos Dolby and DTS formats).

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dolby Atmos has to be rendered specifically for a target application - number of channels, position, etc. It is not something that can be done generically. Together with being computationally intensive, this is why Atmos decoding is not found in players, streamers and other AV source devices. Vast majority of content on AppleTV is still in non-spatial multichannel formats, which ATV can decode and output as raw LPCM (non Atmos Dolby and DTS formats).

Yes, down to however many speakers on has, but I though there was a compatibility layer as Apple Music uses Dolby Atmos and my Dolby DP564 from 2010 doesn't support Atmos, but still plays it in surround sound without upmixing.

The Apple TV does seem to be able to transcode things into Dolby 5.1 as well, which works on some movies and shows that I don't think are in Atmos, and my DP564 doesn't work with multi-channel LPCM unfortunately.

Hopefully there's a good solution like yours with decoding abilities at some point in the future. Not looking forward to the JBL SDP 58 and Dante dongles to get AES out of it.

PavelV

Audio Company
Just a quick heads up, we have released a new firmware for the VanityPRO v5.2.1. There are a few updates to the user interface to make it easier to use and more predictable, we have improved the EDID editor and the user now has control over stereo/multichannel EDID capabilities as well as bistream support. Full release notes and the firmware can be found in the Resources page on our website. Comment and feedback are most welcome!

JimFarrell29

I just got a heads up on this thread, but don't recall posting. I am somewhat bemused. I have a cheap, about £40, Chinese box which extracts audio from hdmi and delivers it as dsd to my Terminator Plus DAC via I2S. This is from SACD discs on my old Oppo player. Thus I can use the far superior DAC to play SACD. Given that this expensive device converts to PCM I would say my little box is superior.
Yes, it doesn't have the galvanic isolation and jitter reduction, but I reckon my Denafrips can deal with that easily.
This device seems super expensive for what it does, and these little Chinese boxes have been around for several years. You can also buy the board and retro fit it to your Oppo, but that means modifying the casework for the I2S output.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I see they are a bit more expensive now, but pretty sure this is mine.

Your device only appears to be stereo output, the VanityPro gives you 8 channels of digital output, very different product.

Michael

JimFarrell29

Sure, Michael, but a lot of people really have no need for any more than two channels. Personally I dont see the use case. For multichannel music I expect most people are quite happy using an AV receiver. If you want top notch multichannel output buy a second hand Oppo or one of the new high quality Blu-ray players from Reavon or Magnetar and use analogue connectors into your receiver or amps. Yes, even second hand Oppos and the new players are expensive, but have much more functionality than this device.
The thing a lot of people wanted to do but couldn't for a long time is extract DSD from SACDs and use their own, usually better DACs.
For that, the little Chinese device works admirably. My suggestion is buy that and use the money saved to upgrade your DAC.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Yes, even second hand Oppos and the new players are expensive, but have much more functionality than this device.
I disagree,, The SQ between the Oppo's DAC and the AVR is extremely subtle if at all, and then you can't use
the AVR's DRC which can make a huge improvement in SQ, specially in the bass range.

Bulldogger

I see they are a bit more expensive now, but pretty sure this is mine.

Sure, Michael, but a lot of people really have no need for any more than two channels. Personally I dont see the use case. For multichannel music I expect most people are quite happy using an AV receiver. If you want top notch multichannel output buy a second hand Oppo or one of the new high quality Blu-ray players from Reavon or Magnetar and use analogue connectors into your receiver or amps. Yes, even second hand Oppos and the new players are expensive, but have much more functionality than this device.
The thing a lot of people wanted to do but couldn't for a long time is extract DSD from SACDs and use their own, usually better DACs.
For that, the little Chinese device works admirably. My suggestion is buy that and use the money saved to upgrade your DAC.
I’ve used several multi-channel interfaces that really all sound the same. This one was different. Truly a superb product.

But it’s not for everyone. This device has power and even does karaoke! You may be able to consolidate your set-up. https://www.amazon.com/1000W-Blueto...v,aps,275&sr=1-2#immersive-view_1701801956510

JimFarrell29

I’ve used several multi-channel interfaces that really all sound the same. This one was different. Truly a superb product.

But it’s not for everyone. This device has power and even does karaoke! You may be able to consolidate your set-up. https://www.amazon.com/1000W-Bluetooth-Theater-Karaoke-Receiver/dp/B08VRHJV8K/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?crid=127JYHFDKAIIA&keywords=av+receiver&qid=1701793359&refinements=p_36:1253506011,p_n_feature_two_browse-bin:23827389011&rnid=23827370011&s=aht&sprefix=av,aps,275&sr=1-2#immersive-view_1701801956510
Hilarious. The simple fact is that my need for a device like this is niche, and I think it would be for most people. I have three systems, two 2 channel and one AV. My main system has components , most of which are significantly more expensive than this device. I mainly stream, play cds on a dedicated transport, use a decent turntable or reel to reel for fun and therapy. I have no problem paying for quality and certainly would not criticise anyone else for so doing.
I like to play the few SACDs I have through my DAC which is far superior to anything in a regular disc player or AVR. My little Chinese box allows me to do that, and the quality of the DAC likely nullifies most of the potential advantages of the more expensive device. My DAC recognises what comes out of the little box as DSD, not PCM. It would not make any sense for me to spend what is asked. Now if multichannel is your thing, maybe its worth it to you. That's absolutely fine. I just think it's important for people to be aware that there is a cost effective alternative which may well suit many folks needs, especially if all you want to do is strip out the DSD audio from HDMI and feed it to a DAC.

PavelV

Audio Company
I don't necessarily see it as a bad thing to ask what this (or any other) product is for or question the benefit/costs ratio. To be honest, we get those quite often. I will try to explain on a few examples. If someone is already comfortable with the idea of using HDMI as a source of digital audio, the next step is why one would want to use this rather expensive product versus a cheap box from Amazon/Aliexpress for fraction of the price and seemingly same or very similar functionality. Where the VanityPRO distinguishes from a cheap Chinese boxes is:
  • Obviously the first thing is the multichannel operation. There is virtually no other device in the market (except Arvus and maybe one other) offering 8 digital channels to build a decent (all digital) multichannel audio or home cinema system.
  • Multichannel processing, there is bunch of multichannel algorithms to aid with matching the source mix to the speaker setup - downmix and speaker trimming, CEC volume control, etc.
  • DSD to PCM conversion. It is great if your DAC can take DoP, but many still cannot and there is no other way for digital SACD/DSD playback.
  • Clock recovery, dielectric isolation, overall electronics engineering. One can of course believe that their DAC has zero sensitivity to clock jitter, EM noise, PSU noise, etc., bits are bits and there are no differences between digital transports. In this case, it is all happy days and hi-fi can be a relatively cheap hobby.
  • EDID management, which gives the user comprehensive control over what the HDMI source sees and audio and video downstream capabilities.
As mentioned above, different people have different needs (fortunately) and it is impossible that this product would please everyone or everyone would need it. If you are curious what it would do in your setup and if it would improve the sound from HDMI sources significantly enough to consider the expense, feel free to contact the distributor for a demo/loan and try it yourself.

Last edited:

JimFarrell29

Interesting, Paul. Thanks for that. I guess I was guilty of double standards, to a degree. When it comes to two channel, I definitely don't believe bits are bits, which is why I have what might be regarded as mid to high end cd transport and streamer ( though high end is relative and there are much more expensive models. But when it comes to multichannel I was accepting there was nothing wrong with a good blu ray player into a good AV amp.
For two channel SACD I only have about 30 SACD, DVD Audio and Blu ray audio so this device would not make sense. I guess I felt this was being presented as a novel solution, which it is, but only for multichannel and only as a high end, enthusiasts product.

Fair enough. My road to Damascus moment has come. Now, how much are they again?

dsd4life

Honestly this platform improves SACD Sony BD players and Eversolo DMP A6 playing DSD and multichannel FLAC.

Top Bottom