• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiopraise VanityPro Review (HDMI Audio Extractor)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 77 49.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 59 37.8%

• Total voters

Nattage

Not sure what you are asking Pavel here.
If you're feeding the AP with its audio return channel, it will receive only stereo. Full stop. Whether the TV and anything connected to it is EARC or not. Because ARC can get stereo PCM and I think basic DD 5.1, but the AP does no decoding at all and no TVs with decode to more than 2 channels.
The only device to feed directly into the HDMI in of the AP, with 7.1 from files (using infuse) or 5.1 PCM from streaming apps, is the Apple TV 4k.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure what you are asking Pavel here.
If you're feeding the AP with its audio return channel, it will receive only stereo. Full stop. Whether the TV and anything connected to it is EARC or not. Because ARC can get stereo PCM and I think basic DD 5.1, but the AP does no decoding at all and no TVs with decode to more than 2 channels.
The only device to feed directly into the HDMI in of the AP, with 7.1 from files (using infuse) or 5.1 PCM from streaming apps, is the Apple TV 4k.
Thanks for the clarification on ARC.

For the Apple TV, the options I see are Dolby Atmos, reconversion to Dolby 5.1, and Stereo... How is that compatible with something that doesn't decode Dolby? Does it work for surround sound movies? Perhaps Apple is passing audio in a format other than what they show the user?

For a Nintendo Switch, I think that uses LPCM, which isn't a Dolby format. Can the VanityPro accept that signal?

If it can, then let's move on to EARC, which should be able to pass the LPCM, can the VanityPro work with that?

If so, and if PCs can get LPCM audio output over HDMI then it's compatible with a lot of things there too.

Sorry for all the questions, this is part of why I think a list or chart would be so useful.

Nattage

Questions are what forums are for!
And you make a good point, PCs are another workable input for multi channel.
I just see the atv as more living room friendly and streaming service compatible. The main service apps just work for surround. I imagine it would be a more of faff with a PC.
The ATV outputs LPCM if you set it correctly.
I think it disregards Atmos and uses source bitstreams to make 5.1 from streaming services and to make 7.1 from say MKV files on a NAS.

PavelV

Audio Company
Questions are what forums are for!
Thanks Nattage for answering all those questions. I would only add that all eARC devices should be backwards compatible with ARC and one should always get at least stereo LPCM back over ARC. I though about making a list of compatible devices, but given the sheer amount of possible HDMI sources and sinks and their combinations it would be a gargantuan and never ending job. We are about to release a minor firmware update v5.1, which improves playback stability in certain scenarios.

TLke893

Hi,

is the following 4.0 multichannel scenario possible:

Roon ROCK@NUCi7-> HDMI Out--> VanityPro--> 2 x AES/EBU Outputs --> DSD DoP --> 2 x Stereo DACs or Multichannel DAC with DSD DoP capable AES inputs

?

Nattage

Yes

PavelV

Audio Company
Hello everyone, a new firmware v5.1 has been released today. There are two system improvements. We have eliminated a small glitch that could cause rare dropouts in certain configurations. The second is a clock system control algorithm improvement for higher accuracy of sampling frequency tracking. You can download from the usual location.
Regards,
Pavel

egradyh

Hello everyone, a new firmware v5.1 has been released today. There are two system improvements. We have eliminated a small glitch that could cause rare dropouts in certain configurations. The second is a clock system control algorithm improvement for higher accuracy of sampling frequency tracking. You can download from the usual location.
Regards,
Pavel
I'm happy to report that this new firmware finally got my VP 100% dropout free. And, unless I'm losing my mind, it sounds better than before.

Let your own ears decide as my wife says I'm certifiedably insane.

PavelV

Audio Company
I'm happy to report that this new firmware finally got my VP 100% dropout free. And, unless I'm losing my mind, it sounds better than before.

Let your own ears decide as my wife says I'm certifiedably insane.
Thank you egradyh! I actually managed to speak to someone from Berkeley Audio Design about it and we exchanged some technical details that helped to understand where the dropouts were coming from. Happy to see that they are gone for good!

jitter063

Is anyone using this as a dejitter device solely? Does it improve the DSD multichannel input with it in the middle of the audio chain from source to processor? Like a Sony UBP-X800M2 or UBP-X1000ES.

You know with a Apple 4K TV source (using Infuse and a Dolby TrueHD media) and a Atmos processor on the output end of the Vanity Pro LPCM 7.1 input you can typically flick on the upmixer switch and you will hear the intended height and bedlayer additional front-wides not much different than discrete Atmos or DTS:X metadata direct.

jitter063

Is anyone using this as a dejitter device solely? Does it improve the DSD multichannel input with it in the middle of the audio chain from source to processor? Like a Sony UBP-X800M2 or UBP-X1000ES.

You know with a Apple 4K TV source (using Infuse and a Dolby TrueHD media) and a Atmos processor on the output end of the Vanity Pro LPCM 7.1 input you can typically flick on the upmixer switch and you will hear the intended height and bedlayer additional front-wides not much different than discrete Atmos or DTS:X metadata direct.
bump can we help here?

PavelV

Audio Company
bump can we help here?
Hi there, I would say most people would connect the output of the VanityPRO into a DAC/digital speaker directly without going through a processor. I think that's why you don't get many answers. If the improved timing of the VanityPRO makes great or little difference or none at all in such scenario with a processor greatly depends on the processor itself how it handles various sampling rates and synchronization. I am afraid there are too many variables making it hard to give a general answer. I think the easiest way would be to try it out.

jitter063

Hi there, I would say most people would connect the output of the VanityPRO into a DAC/digital speaker directly without going through a processor. I think that's why you don't get many answers. If the improved timing of the VanityPRO makes great or little difference or none at all in such scenario with a processor greatly depends on the processor itself how it handles various sampling rates and synchronization. I am afraid there are too many variables making it hard to give a general answer. I think the easiest way would be to try it out.
What is the best configuration to try / buy?

Do you think these newer 8k audio extractors, switch, splitters do any recklocking with the audio?

jitter063

Also does the white paper published indicate that HDMI or S/PDIF interace present greater PCM / DSD jitter with JTEST?

PavelV

Audio Company
What is the best configuration to try / buy?

Do you think these newer 8k audio extractors, switch, splitters do any recklocking with the audio?
I would say the XLR version would be the most universal one, since you can easily convert AES/EBU to SPDIF (XLR->BNC or RCA would do). I strongly believe that no other HDMI audio extractor does anything even half-clever with digital audio to suppress jitter, but I am happy to be proven wrong. The white paper about HDMI jitter I wrote uses JTEST as a standardized method to quantify jitter sensitivity of a DAC. It is an artificial signal that creates worst case conditions for data induced jitter on SPDIF. Within HDMI protocol its influence might be limited as there are other, and probably stronger, sources of (data) jitter.

jitter063

I would say the XLR version would be the most universal one, since you can easily convert AES/EBU to SPDIF (XLR->BNC or RCA would do). I strongly believe that no other HDMI audio extractor does anything even half-clever with digital audio to suppress jitter, but I am happy to be proven wrong. The white paper about HDMI jitter I wrote uses JTEST as a standardized method to quantify jitter sensitivity of a DAC. It is an artificial signal that creates worst case conditions for data induced jitter on SPDIF. Within HDMI protocol its influence might be limited as there are other, and probably stronger, sources of (data) jitter.
I want to buy. Where do I get a US version with fast shipping and return policy?

Top Bottom