• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiopraise VanityPro Review (HDMI Audio Extractor)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 77 49.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 59 37.8%

• Total voters

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think I understand what you mean with the bass routing and management. To be honest I think this would need a little more thinking and analysis of a few use scenarios to make it universal and useful, but technically it should not be difficult (summing two signals digitally is relatively easy indeed). I think it could be a nice addition to the speaker management/downmix feature set. Maybe some basic low pass filtering could be done as well.
Edit: As for the Dirac, I am afraid this is a bit too far outside the feature set we originally planned for this product. I believe some VanityPRO users have added DDRC-88D to the signal chain with good results.
That sounds very promising. I agree that there are probably other use cases to consider. Your video also looks great.

One question -- in actual use, is the volume only presented in the very small type? Or is there a mode which uses the whole screen to show volume so it can be read across the room?

Nattage

Ooh, that'd be good.

PavelV

Audio Company
One question -- in actual use, is the volume only presented in the very small type? Or is there a mode which uses the whole screen to show volume so it can be read across the room?
I have just added another video as a comment to the first one, that's probably the best we can do with a screen that wasn't intended to show anything too dynamic :)

Nattage

oh ambassador you are spoiling us!

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 247948
Thought I'd share how "simply", it might be used.
Bear in mind that these speakers have built in DACs and amplifiers.
I've omitted the Genelec 9301a, (would sit between the VanityPro and the digital speakers) which can route bass tones from all channels to the sub output, makes it easier to daisy chain subwoofers and utilise the Subs in stereo only content.
Clearly everything needs a power supply and also not shown is the loop of network cables between all the Genelecs and the GLM kit, for standby and volume control.

Would it work to just plug your Apple TV into the TV, and then take the EARC port on the TV and send it to the Vanity Pro?

Need something that works with the Apple TV as well as a Chromecast and Nintendo Switch, but don't want to switch cables and such for each device.

Nattage

Yes, but....
You'd then be using the ARC (not eARC) functionality of the VP. So you'd only likely get stereo.
Probably better getting an HDMI 2.1 switch and feeding the VP from that.

Nattage

Have the beta firmware loaded and it works really well!
Now my ATV remote switches on/off the ATV, the VP and my TV with one button.
And the ATV remote can mute or adjust the volume and volume level shows on the VP screen whilst changing.
Further my TV remote can do the same, but a foible of my TV is that it chooses to raise and lower its' inbuilt speakers at the same time, despite it being set to use an Audio System whilst doing this. Not to worry, I don't intend using my TV remote other than occasions I'm using it as more than just a monitor.

There's also a new speaker trim settings page. Everything is set to 0dB (the max) and you can increase one speaker over others, by reducing the others (Genelec do it this way for Frequency settings).
So I've turned down left and right, because my centre has slightly less oomph. Wasn't expecting this addition, but it's very welcome.

I'd say it's very family friendly now.
And audiophile and minimalist friendly.

Thanks Pavel!

PavelV

Audio Company
Have the beta firmware loaded and it works really well!

I'd say it's very family friendly now.
And audiophile and minimalist friendly.

Thanks Pavel!
I am glad you like it! Once properly tested in field, the new firmware will be officially released soon.

Last edited:

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, but....
You'd then be using the ARC (not eARC) functionality of the VP. So you'd only likely get stereo.
Probably better getting an HDMI 2.1 switch and feeding the VP from that.
Why would that mean I'm only using ARC instead of EARC?

The LG c9 should support EARC... Adding a switcher into things is frustrating because then I need another remote or button press to get what I want.

Nattage

because the VP is ARC, not eARC capable.
Agreed on the frustration.

laavu

I think I understand what you mean with the bass routing and management. To be honest I think this would need a little more thinking and analysis of a few use scenarios to make it universal and useful, but technically it should not be difficult (summing two signals digitally is relatively easy indeed). I think it could be a nice addition to the speaker management/downmix feature set. Maybe some basic low pass filtering could be done as well.
Just stumbled upon this thread and read all 21 pages. VanityPro looks really promising, since I have a 5.1 Genelec SAM setup. If you can implement bass routing and management I will purchase a VanityPRO immediately. This way I could save 700 euros - that is the cost of a Genelec 9301A here in Finland. Probably I will order a VP anyways, because I think it seems the best there is at the moment regarding HDMI sources and multichannel audio using a fully digital audio path. Don't care about Atmos at the moment.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
because the VP is ARC, not eARC capable.
Agreed on the frustration.

Hmm, I think I'm not explaining well enough: In your diagram you show the Apple TV plugged into the Vanity Pro, then the Vanity Pro plugged into the TV.

Will it not work if I plug the Apple TV>LG TV>Vanity Pro? I need something that works with all of my sources, and I'm not sure if you plug things in the way you do because there is something special about how the Apple TV outputs stuff, if my TV will output a different format, etc.

Does the Vanity Pro work plugged into an ARC output on the TV, with the sources plugged into your TV, not the Vanity Pro?

Nattage

Just stumbled upon this thread and read all 21 pages. VanityPro looks really promising, since I have a 5.1 Genelec SAM setup. If you can implement bass routing and management I will purchase a VanityPRO immediately. This way I could save 700 euros - that is the cost of a Genelec 9301A here in Finland. Probably I will order a VP anyways, because I think it seems the best there is at the moment regarding HDMI sources and multichannel audio using a fully digital audio path. Don't care about Atmos at the moment.
I got my used Genelec 9301A on ebay for quite a lot less. They come up quite often now they've a 16 channel version.

Nattage

Hmm, I think I'm not explaining well enough: In your diagram you show the Apple TV plugged into the Vanity Pro, then the Vanity Pro plugged into the TV.

Will it not work if I plug the Apple TV>LG TV>Vanity Pro? I need something that works with all of my sources, and I'm not sure if you plug things in the way you do because there is something special about how the Apple TV outputs stuff, if my TV will output a different format, etc.

Does the Vanity Pro work plugged into an ARC output on the TV, with the sources plugged into your TV, not the Vanity Pro?
It does but, but you will only get stereo from the TV, because even though the TV is eARC, the VP is ARC only, so the TV's eARC input/output will operate at the lowest in the chain, ARC.
Also, even if the VP was made to be eARC, who's to say if LG or Sony will pass 5.1 or 7.1 LPCM, coming from say an ATV plugged into another HDMI input of the TV, out to the VP?
Bitstreamed (DD, DD+ etc) I think they might, but the VP doesn't decode these brands, it needs them converted to LPCM.
I'm pretty sure when I've had a "normal" modern receiver/processor (tonewinner at-300) it was still best to attach sources directly to it.
The TV's own built in streaming apps would send back to the processor, multi channel LPCM or encoded bitstreams, over eARC, but it wouldn't decode external sources plugged into other HDMI ports and send them back over the eARC port. It's hit and miss and hard to ascertain from product specs.
A TV will send out the audio, whilst its acting as a switch, in 2.0 PCM and it might also send as bitstream (no use for the VP) or it might unpack it and send it as 5.1/7.1 lpcm, but I've never found my TV to the latter.

Nattage

To confirm, it will usually be the TV that won't pass its in built apps as multi channel PCM or input its receiving from another HDMI in as PCM.
So even if the VP were to be upgraded to eARC, unless it was also made to decode bitstreamed audio, you'd just get 2.0 if anything.

I've not got an HDMI switch for my 2 sources (ATV4K and NUC PC running as a ROON Rock server) yet.
Because the VP is a small form factor, I have it on show. Meaning swapping the cables isn't too much faff. I've put a velcro cable tie around them so they're easy to grab.

And did I mention this device continues to be a flipping joy to listen to everything with?

Plus with the latest firmware, I only need the ATV4k remote to do everything!

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What a great support!

Is there any indication on when the USB module will be available?

It would be really fantastic if there would be some room in the FPGA for some PEQ :cool:

PavelV

Audio Company
What a great support!

Is there any indication on when the USB module will be available?

It would be really fantastic if there would be some room in the FPGA for some PEQ :cool:
Thanks! As for the USB board, we have a couple of demo boards in field and we are collecting feedback to see if any changes or improvements are needed for production. Well, the FPGA resources are pretty squeezed already, but will see what else can be thrown in.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks! As for the USB board, we have a couple of demo boards in field and we are collecting feedback to see if any changes or improvements are needed for production. Well, the FPGA resources are pretty squeezed already, but will see what else can be thrown in.
Would it be possible to list compatible devices on your website? There's some confusion I have where if something can support ARC, then it works with EARC too as it's backwards compatible, but also doesn't work with either of them if they are sending a Dolby format, but Dolby output from an Apple TV is fine because it's MAT?

Guessing the VanityPro works with LPCM, just not sure what anything else is encoded with besides Dolby (which seems to be nearly everything as my current surround sound processor only decodes Dolby and stereo PCM and every movie or show seems to work with surround sound.)

Top Bottom