• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophoolery humour thread

StefaanE

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

StefaanE

Forum Donor
the title of this post was "Rube Goldberg made a turntable"View attachment 85944
It might not sound much better than my first turntable, but it sure is more complicated. :cool:
E4668EA1-6A70-4427-89EB-EB5043DF6452.jpeg

Appreciate the high quality knife edge bearings in high-tech plastic. I got this in 1970 for my fifteenth birthday and I was over the moon. It’s a Philips 22GA105.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I really wish I had found this thread before spending my money on Focal Aria 948s. They have not even shipped yet and I am seeing all the other things I could have gotten.

NgtFlyer

If you look this up, there are endless threads about how awesome it is and how it is totally worth getting a couple at $350 each. LOL. Consensus is they are similar to a power cable, but different.

Probably just as effective as that PS Audio noise harvester spitter-outer thingie too.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Probably just as effective as that PS Audio noise harvester spitter-outer thingie too.
At least equal. They are carbon fiber colored, and they synergize with each other. Two of them is more than twice as impactful as one. They work anywhere near your system too, wall outlet, power strip, just have to be connected electrically... like the opposite of a lightning bolt for your audiophile frequency integration.

Alright. Prepare to have your mind completely blown:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Safety-1...rotectors-for-Baby-Proofing-20-pack/578742901

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This incredibly well made, :rolleyes:, Turntable could be a joke , if it didn't sound so good, :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:. It cost $650,000, if you have to ask...

1601941131291.png

Last edited:

rkbates

Forum Donor
If you look this up, there are endless threads about how awesome it is and how it is totally worth getting a couple at $350 each. LOL. Consensus is they are similar to a power cable, but different.
"The Qv2 works directly on the AC line, introducing a carefully calculated range of pulsed frequencies, clocked from the original 50 or 60Hz waveform". Now I'm really confused - one snake oil salesman telling me to get rid of harmonics on the mains and one telling me I need more. Must be I don't need either.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
'floobydust' doesn't mean what you think it means:

In the 1976 National Semiconductor - Audio Handbook the word “Floobydust” is defined as:

“Floobydust” is a contemporary term derived from the archaic Latin miscellaneus, whose
disputed history probably springs from Greek origins (influenced, of course, by Egyptian
linguists) - meaning here “a mixed bag.”

Later in 1991 Bob Pease [RIP](Staff Scientist at National Semiconductor) defined the word in his
Book “Troubleshooting Analog Circuits” as:

“Floobydust” is an old expression around our lab that means potpourri, catch-all, or miscellaneous. In this chapter, I’ll throw into the “Floobydust” category a collection of philosophical items, such as advice about planning your troubleshooting, and practical hints about computers and instruments.

Bob Pease [RIP] used the word in his columns in Electronic Design Magazine.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

This quacks me up, one quack attending another quack’s seminar, which becomes the impetus for a quakery device to sell to other quacks:

“A back story is in order:

Jerry took a 2 week intensive course on health with a holistic doctor. One segment dealt with the deleterious effects of EMF (electro-magnetic fields) on the body and a discussion of a circuit to reduce EMF. As Jerry commented,

"I went home and built a few prototypes, put them next to my bed side and slept with them, lo and behold I had the best sleep of my life and my dreams were so vivid - I just felt good. I then decided to take the devices and place them on my preamp just to see if it made a difference and I've got to say it absolutely floored me how much better my system sounded."

Some further experimenting with shapes, sizes, and the "imprinting" of the 37 parts that constitute the final product lead to his final CE Generators.”

I love this part:

“Jerry's latest creations, called CE Generators ("Clean Energy Generators" - $150 ea. or $399/3) are difficult to understand, but boy do they work.”

I would love to see an explanation, complicated or simple.

StefaanE

Forum Donor

Ken1951

I swear to the powers-that-be when I first saw the pic when I clicked on the link I was thinking: Oh, that looks like an interesting cookie. Or is it a donut? Then I read it... shook my head... I'd rather have a cookie!

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
"Although this cookie-size product looks so very simple, we are told that building them is time-consuming and very messy. 24 hours of set up time and an hour on the imprinter."

Riiight. Looks like black resin with a dab of glitter in a chocolate mold to me. I also see a lot of air pockets, so they don't even bother to degas the resin in a vacuum chamber before they do the pour :rolleyes:

Helicopter

Major Contributor
"Although this cookie-size product looks so very simple, we are told that building them is time-consuming and very messy. 24 hours of set up time and an hour on the imprinter."

Riiight. Looks like black resin with a dab of glitter in a chocolate mold to me. I also see a lot of air pockets, so they don't even bother to degas the resin in a vacuum chamber before they do the pour :rolleyes:
Maybe so, but the way he does it is incredibly messy, and then he has to clean up the mess. I don't think you really understand the minutia of the process until you do it yourself. Have you ever tried to get glitter and epoxy off your hands, carpet, dining room table, etc. at the same time? It is stressful because the epoxy is curing, it is toxic, it is getting on everything you touch, along with glitter everywhere sticking to things and getting blown around by the fan. These things obviously can't do anything to improve your sound, but they are still a bargain. ;)

Top Bottom