• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophiliac gives Audio Science Review channel a plug

Status
Not open for further replies.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At least he's honest about being subjective..

Yep, and he is proud of being subjective. When he mentions ASR at 2:45 he makes it clear that if what you are looking for is measurements...come here. It seems like he says that what we do is fine....but it not his approach to audio.

He uses Klipsch speakers to illustrate how his approach differs. There are several Klipsch models he really likes, and many other subjective reviewers like these models too. Yet, here, Klipsch generally gets bad panthers. Is that OK? Or must we defend the objective truth of spinorama by informing our acquaintances who own and love them how mistaken they are.

Is it OK to have subjective opinions of our own audio gear? I picture the scene in Spinal Tap where Nigel shows off a guitar he has never touched. Does taking ASR philosophy to the extreme mean we can buy gear but never use it because that would induce subjective opinions and we might tell someone those opinions ;)

There seems to be particular scorn at ASR for subjective reviews of DACs. Since well designed DACs measure near perfect, one could argue that the benefit of ASR DAC reviews has been reduced to identifying those few models that are poorly designed. If you are into the gear, that is not enough information to make a buying decision. Other subjective sites tell a lot more about unique features, build quality, brand story, and even how these add up to provide a biased subjective view of how they sound. I like having both kinds of reviews available. I do wish the subjective and objective teams could be more friendly. Steve seems to take a stab at that here, but I have no illusions that he is about to change sides.

beagleman

Major Contributor
probably because he cant for the life of him construct a complete sentence and is exhausting to listen to?

I liked his stuff for a bit, but he never makes a point, nor can even stay on topic, or efficiently get TO the topic at hand. His conversation style works IN PERSON, but not on video, where the viewer is BORED within 3-5 minutes....!

beagleman

Major Contributor
Yep, and he is proud of being subjective. When he mentions ASR at 2:45 he makes it clear that if what you are looking for is measurements...come here. It seems like he says that what we do is fine....but it not his approach to audio.

He uses Klipsch speakers to illustrate how his approach differs. There are several Klipsch models he really likes, and many other subjective reviewers like these models too. Yet, here, Klipsch generally gets bad panthers. Is that OK? Or must we defend the objective truth of spinorama by informing our acquaintances who own and love them how mistaken they are.

Is it OK to have subjective opinions of our own audio gear? I picture the scene in Spinal Tap where Nigel shows off a guitar he has never touched. Does taking ASR philosophy to the extreme mean we can buy gear but never use it because that would induce subjective opinions and we might tell someone those opinions ;)

There seems to be particular scorn at ASR for subjective reviews of DACs. Since well designed DACs measure near perfect, one could argue that the benefit of ASR DAC reviews has been reduced to identifying those few models that are poorly designed. If you are into the gear, that is not enough information to make a buying decision. Other subjective sites tell a lot more about unique features, build quality, brand story, and even how these add up to provide a biased subjective view of how they sound. I like having both kinds of reviews available. I do wish the subjective and objective teams could be more friendly. Steve seems to take a stab at that here, but I have no illusions that he is about to change sides.

I think I can relate. I LOVE measurements, I really do, but.......................

I have heard so many things that would not measure well, but were truly interesting, fun to listen to, or enjoyable overall, despite not being ruler flat or neutral or having really low noise or distortion.

Not abandoning measurements, obviously, but feel there is accurate stuff, and there is enjoyable stuff. It does not have to be mutually exclusive.

Robin L

Master Contributor
When he wrote at Cnet there was a lot more editing. Didn't have to look at him, didn't have to hear him. Cnet seems to be out of audio, save wireless headphones. The market for old-fashioned audio gear is dying off, literally.

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
When he wrote at Cnet there was a lot more editing. Didn't have to look at him, didn't have to hear him. Cnet seems to be out of audio, save wireless headphones. The market for old-fashioned audio gear is dying off, literally.

I'm curious what you mean by this. Care to expand on it?

Robin L

Master Contributor
I'm curious what you mean by this. Care to expand on it?
Sure, the notion of the great big stereo with huge speakers as a status item is dying off with the generation that was most involved with it [us boomers] dying off.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
At least he sounded kind of diplomatic and actually put the link to Amir's channel in the description.

I strongly disagree with many of his views, but I have to admit he acted fairly this time.
Its not fairness, its about not isolating potential viewers. He worked out quite a few folks think differently about audio now and its best not to shut them out when you want subscribers and views .

This is however progress even if inevitably its inspired by self interest.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
He’s amiable enough, and positive and enthusiastic, which is nice. Like Fremer, though, his whole listening environment is a chaotic mess. That gives me agita. I listen to music to relax.

OP
D

don'ttrustauthority

Forum Donor
the snake oil makers, their salesmen and their consumers are threatened. because a Guy that speaks the truth is gaining a lot of followers.
Exactly. It's time to organize and get serious about making sure people are not fooled into thinking they can hear things they can't.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Nullproblemo

Forum Donor
I would love to understand all your measurements here because I learned that I really don't like the Darkos and Audiophiliacs... So I'm stuck between two worlds. I make exceptions for a channel called A british audiophile. He takes a lot of time to get to the point but it seems to me he has a lot of technical knowledge (I don't have) paired to a good portion of honesty.

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
Yea he reminds of that mad scientist from Independence Day movie. Kinda looks like him doesn’t he.

Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 8.08.10 PM.png

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Poor Data. Brent Spiner tried so hard to shake the Data typecasting that he went too far the other way.

Guttenberg has a philosophy of wanting people to have decent systems so that they can become enthusiasts. Measurements would help him with that worthy goal by identifying inexpensive stuff that works well.

Rick “afraid he’s furthering the 70’s stereo-nut old hippie image many of us have to overcome” Denney

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I make exceptions for a channel called A british audiophile. He takes a lot of time to get to the point but it seems to me he has a lot of technical knowledge (I don't have) paired to a good portion of honesty.
I had not heard of him before but just watched a few of his videos. He does bring good technical depth to topics but is not afraid of moving past what is supported and proper stance of audio science and proper engineering. As such, you can easily be misled by what he is saying. His great British accent and eloquent speaking can appeal to one's softer side to believe what one should not.

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
Poor Data. Brent Spiner tried so hard to shake the Data typecasting that he went too far the other way.

Guttenberg has a philosophy of wanting people to have decent systems so that they can become enthusiasts. Measurements would help him with that worthy goal by identifying inexpensive stuff that works well.

Rick “afraid he’s furthering the 70’s stereo-nut old hippie image many of us have to overcome” Denney

Agreed. I read somewhere that Spiner hated acting his Data character in the new Picard series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom