• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophiles Rejoice: The Nyquist–Shannon sampling theorem actually proves high-res audio is real and works

kschmit2

If a source has ultrasonic components resulting in distortions in the audible range, shouldn't a microphone pick up those distortions and thus the recording of this source - covering an audible range of approx. 20-20,000 Hz - would adequately represent the sound at the microphone position.

Is that understanding correct?

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If a source has ultrasonic components resulting in distortions in the audible range, shouldn't a microphone pick up those distortions and thus the recording of this source - covering an audible range of approx. 20-20,000 Hz - would adequately represent the sound at the microphone position.

20 kHz plus a little margin for filtering is sufficient for all recordings for human consumption. If the distortion is in the recording chain then yes ultrasonics could produce distortion products in the audible region. It would have been better to bandlimit before the distortion or reduce the distortion to prevent this.

I don’t agree with 20 Hz as the lower limit as sounds below that frequency can still be felt.

mnemonix

This is simple enough to test with DISTORT app. There can definitely be audible components introduced when nonlinearity is applied to high-level ultrasonic signals.

So assuming all audio systems are non linear to some extent, "Hi-res" audio can only be a bad thing since it introduces the opportunity for unwanted audible components that couldn't exist if the utrasonic frequencies weren't there, whilst retaining nothing extra in the original signal above 20KHz that is actually audible?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Yes.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So assuming all audio systems are non linear to some extent, "Hi-res" audio can only be a bad thing since it introduces the opportunity for unwanted audible components that couldn't exist if the utrasonic frequencies weren't there, whilst retaining nothing extra in the original signal above 20KHz that is actually audible?

Right. I'm not going to hear a 30kHz signal even at 0dBFS, much less at normal audio levels, so why bother sending something through the circuit that can only add to the distortion? Here's that same (THD of -78dB) nonlinearity I posted earlier, except with the 30k and 31k signals at -35dBFS instead of -5dBFS as before. Notice the IMD difference level of -132dB at 1kHz:

1597925020762.png

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Agreed that higher sampling rates than 44.1/48kHz are not a good thing for fidelity. Higher but depth during recording has merit though.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Extra reverb.
I presume you are joking?
All output below about 2x natural frequency on a seismic sensor is spurious, not extra reverb.
The extra reverb comes from mechanical and airborne transmission to one side or the other of the transduction system at audible frequencies.

MRC01

Major Contributor
... I don’t agree with 20 Hz as the lower limit as sounds below that frequency can still be felt.
And heard! In my last hearing test, taken with headphones, my lower limit was 16 Hz. This is not unusual. We gradually lose some of our HF with age, but we keep LF acuity for life.

skypickle

Thank you to all who replied. I would have gotten it sooner if you said blue light and green light can never make red light.

xaxxon

From the article:

So can people really be trained to 'feel' the vibration above 20k? Not a musician / audio engineer, so I'm curious about the validity of this statement. Does that also mean they'll respond to me when I use a dog whistle?
Can you feel a 20khz signal? No. Not sure how you'd feel something higher than that then.

Top Bottom