• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophiles, generally don't like class D amps!

StigErik

Forum Donor
Technics had Class AA. I want DD ....

1707121099309.png

TLEDDY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
They can all be wrong, unless you do a blind level matched listening test with the same speakers in the same position with near instant switching between the two amplifiers then alL you are getting is bias from the listener.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This!!

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
...As long as I can hear Baby Shark reproduced accurately as possible

That is my go-to track for auditioning amplifiers, too.

Ratfink

Well.... appologies if needed...

Im a musician, Sax.

Deal with live stage sound for my combo group.

Entire sound system I built...most the pro sound is crap...all of it overpriced... high quality stuff is unobtainium.

Setup for best live sound...
---Amps (All class D, QSC's)at 90% control levels with line inputs.
---Stacked Arrays
---V Plated Subs
--- EQ's used to filter out noise problems based upon room measurements then sound cheks... no smileys...

Once upon a time.... had to use an (Audiophileeesss) Bass Tube Amp... EQ'd that crap tube hum right out of the mix... still sounded like crap.... only good for keeping a## warm.

Nothing worse than hearing a musicians laziness bad playing habits with noisey sloppy fingerings, crappy unkept noisey instrument mechanics.... clicking, popping, leaky air embousures(this one really chaps my ass... f ing lazy classical clarinet players) yea Red, you know who I mean....

So between Tube Amps and lazy musicians.... class D always... because at least you can eliminate one of the noises...

If the setup cant or isnt simple based on measurements/facts, then in the immortal words of the Denver International Airports Moving Walkways..... "KEEP WALKING!"...."KEEP WALKING!"..."KEEP WALKING!"

Oh, and only ONE exception to this being Steely Dan, they didnt have a choice in Amp Tech back then... its also the reason they didnt tour hardly in early days.... "No static at all..... FM!"

Last edited:

chelgrian

Well.... appologies if needed...

Im a musician, Sax.

Deal with live stage sound for my combo group.

Entire sound system I built...most the pro sound is crap...all of it overpriced... high quality stuff is unobtainium.

Setup for best live sound...
---Amps (All class D, QSC's)at 90% control levels with line inputs.
---Stacked Arrays
---V Plated Subs
--- EQ's used to filter out noise problems based upon room measurements then sound cheks... no smileys...

Once upon a time.... had to use an (Audiophileeesss) Bass Tube Amp... EQ'd that crap tube hum right out of the mix... still sounded like crap.... only good for keeping a## warm.

Nothing worse than hearing a musicians laziness bad playing habits with noisey sloppy fingerings, crappy unkept noisey instrument mechanics.... clicking, popping, leaky air embousures(this one really chaps my ass... f ing lazy classical clarinet players) yea Red, you know who I mean....

So between Tube Amps and lazy musicians.... class D always... because at least you can eliminate one of the noises...

If the setup cant or isnt simple based on measurements/facts, then in the immortal words of the Denver International Airports Moving Walkways..... "KEEP WALKING!"...."KEEP WALKING!"..."KEEP WALKING!"

Oh, and only ONE exception to this being Steely Dan, they didnt have a choice in Amp Tech back then... its also the reason they didnt tour hardly in early days.... "No static at all..... FM!"
High quality PA gear is not unobtainium it's just very expensive and you have a very short list of suppliers, d&b Audiotecknik and L-Acoustics being the two most obvious ones.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Maybe most Class D equipment don't look as sexy as the "old school" ones? Guys like shiny blinky stuff.
1707133179474.jpeg

Still not old school blingy enough, I suppose?

Marantz got a huge amount of criticism for saying Hypex wasn't digital when they released this. I was shunned by two real life friends when they found out I'd bought one, and not over cost as might happen here: I was a traitor to the audiophile cause, and so were Marantz. I wonder how much things have really changed?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
View attachment 347503

Marantz got a huge amount of criticism for saying Hypex wasn't digital when they released this. I was shunned by two real life friends when they found out I'd bought one, and not over cost as might happen here: I was a traitor to the audiophile cause, and so were Marantz. I wonder how much things have really changed?

Much as I love vintage Marantz, that new styling is so gaudy and cheap looking.

Crosstalk

Audiophiles can identify a class D amplifier from its size, weight and operating temperature, though they claim they know how "class D" sounds!

Crosstalk

Agree, the current gen Marantz is the worst looking ones. The best ones to my eyes is the one like PM16, PM17 and so on. I like their simple styling more than their higher end PM11. Some of their older receivers like the SR8500 looks really superb.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
It's got blue LEDs. That should count for something.
VU meters, gentlemen! Where are the VU meters?!
But of course - especially when compared to the elegance of the simple, understated aesthetic of yore.

source: https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-Catalogs/Lafayette-Catalogs/Lafayette-1975-750.pdf

;) :cool:

EDIT: All meant in good fun, of course. Fortunately the modern marantz hardware is of decent quality, and (by and large) not eye-wateringly expensive.
In full disclosure, and in fairness, the aesthetics of the current 'massmarket' level marantz componentry doesn't do much for me, but I wouldn't (again FWIW) classify it as ugly nor even cheap looking. I do find it amusing that their current Model 30 and Model 50 amplifiers remind me an awful lot aesthetically of harmon/kardon's late 1950s/early 1960s low- and mid-range components. That's not such a bad thing -- h/k (almost) always did a pretty good job with aesthetic design.

1707141559137.jpeg

1707142060224.png

source: https://www.alliedcatalogs.com/flipbook/1958_allied_radio_catalog.html

almost always.

1707141646321.png

source: My hifi friend and fellow-traveler Brian Salazar's business's site:

Attachments

• 1707141610863.jpeg
    1707141610863.jpeg
    7.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 1707142048279.png
    1707142048279.png
    1 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
This would look much better:

View attachment 347534
Better, indubitably. ;)
I don't care for the porthole motif -- even though, yes, I know it hearkens back to the real marantz.

(a lovely 8B that I had the privilege to rehab some years back)

1707144904728.jpeg

(random Interenet photo but this does appear to be an actual marantz Nine and not the 1990s reboot, given the "60 cy" label)

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
View attachment 347503

Class D is not digital.

Bleib

Major Contributor
Early on I bought a class D amp, it was impossible to notice any difference between it and a regular Denon AB class amp. The one real difference these two had was that the Denon had a lot more power but my speakers were only about 2 meters away from me so I didn't need the power.
I was happy to have the class D amp on all the time, didn't heat things up during summer either. Very neat.

Lux_ury

I love both for different reasons, but it's not like they dislike class D it's just some prefer pure class A. "It's not the size, it's the power"

Top Bottom