• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do Class D amps need space around them?

ninox

Hi, if I buy a class D amp to replace a hulking class AB power amp does it need space, ie separate part of the living room floor or can it go in a cupboard?

droid2000

Mines been running in there all night with the door closed. Gets mildly warm.

IMG_3563.png

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ventilation is critical to extending the longevity of all electronics. There are components of class D amps that do get hot and they sometimes rely on the case to dissipate that heat mass. Allowing for some air changes for class D amps will extend the life expectancy.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use a laser thermometer to check components. Even when my Topping A30Pro goes into class A mode for hours, it's still only 105f at the hottest spot which is no problem. A USB powered fan from AliExpress or Amazon can help if its blowing across the top.

Steven Holt

Forum Donor
Ventilate it, but don't go crazy. My PA3s sits on top of my speaker, underneath my D10 Balanced. Works quite well.

OldTimer

I found the class AB amp is hotter than the class D because it consume more power than class D. Nowadays class D is the king.

Top Bottom