• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophile music player for Windows/Mac and your opinion...

What is the best audiophile music player for Windows and Mac in 2023?

• Total voters
OP
PaperBoat

PaperBoat

In Windoz' Foobar2000
In Linux, Strawberry, super simple to get bit perfect and easy-comfortable to use.
Both great FREE players, why pay for anything else?
Still people throwing their money at JRiver... JPlay... Roon... Audirvana..!:facepalm:

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Sokel

Master Contributor
An actually intuitive UI, relevant suggestions, search function, steaming services and local library all in the same place, acces to these on the go, ability to control some streamers, multiroom playback etc etc.

Apples and oranges.

No, it won't. ;)
You can have all that in foobar too but depends on the skin,plun-ins and customization which is not exactly easy.

(I highlighted "search" in two places the skin I use has for example):

search.PNG

Last edited:

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Which one is better? Roon?
Not sure why any of you would think one would be better than the other...
But the fact that some are still asking confirm there's still some need for this test! ;)

You can have all that in foobar too
No @Sokel, it can't. foobar can't stream Tidal nor Qobuz with a proper (actually better than client apps themselves) integration. It doesn't have any suggestions algorithm, can't stream on the go from your home library, nor it can wirelessly control internal volume of some compatible DAC/Amp/Streamers (Roon Ready ones). When it comes to mobile app, please...

Sokel

Master Contributor
Not sure why any of you would think one would be better than the other...
But the fact that some are still asking confirm there's still some need for this test! ;)

No @Sokel, it can't. foobar can't stream Tidal nor Qobuz with a proper (actually better than client apps themselves) integration. It doesn't have any suggestions algorithm, can't stream on the go from your home library, nor it can wirelessly control internal volume of some compatible DAC/Amp/Streamers (Roon Ready ones). When it comes to mobile app, please...
You're right about streaming services,there are some plug-ins but they are still experimental or partially working.
Wirelessly in general on the other hand (at least for local libraries,classical listeners have not a lot of choices,it's a jungle out there in streaming services with all the versions of the same plays) can be done with foobarcon and the likes,controlling a lot on the player,VC included.
I have about 9000 albums in my local library,I'd be lost without the high ability of customizations,search functions and visual playlist library.
Plus I can apply EQ while using ASIO or WASAPI exclusive (except for DSD of course,skips it automatically),various DSP's,has VST,etc.
But nothing cames easy on it,we have to say that too.

On the other hand,for other genders I agree fully,is easier on stuff like roon.

neRok

It does seem there is a little more noise at 60Hz on some programs, but the amount is tiny and negligible. Theorising about the source, I wonder if the power draw of the CPU is responsible for this? A program that uses more and/or inefficient code could cause the CPU to draw more power and thus put a little more noise in to the "system". It would be interesting to see a comparison measurement of the same program on a PC that is under no load, and another with it under full load (with a game/benchmark etc running in the background).

OP
PaperBoat

PaperBoat

If you rely on your local library then Foobar is unbeatable...
can be done with foobarcon
Do you know of any remote control that support Foobar 64 bit? I'm using Android...

OP
PaperBoat

PaperBoat

A program that uses more and/or inefficient code could cause the CPU to draw more power and thus put a little more noise in to the "system".
You can modify "MMCSS" in Foobar as "Pro Audio"...

Sokel

Master Contributor
It does seem there is a little more noise at 60Hz on some programs, but the amount is tiny and negligible. Theorising about the source, I wonder if the power draw of the CPU is responsible for this? A program that uses more and/or inefficient code could cause the CPU to draw more power and thus put a little more noise in to the "system". It would be interesting to see a comparison measurement of the same program on a PC that is under no load, and another with it under full load (with a game/benchmark etc running in the background).
Here you go:

foobar off.PNG

Foobar off

foobar on.PNG

foobar on

both.PNG

both

Identical.

Do you know of any remote control that support Foobar 64 bit? I'm using Android...
I know foobar con for 32-bit,I don;t know if they updated it for the 64-bit version.

neRok

Here you go:

View attachment 277014

Foobar off

View attachment 277015

foobar on

View attachment 277016

both

Identical.

I know foobar con for 32-bit,I don;t know if they updated it for the 64-bit version.
Yes, but now do it again with something like Cinebench running in the background simulating 100% CPU load at the same time. And if you have a dedicated GPU, also do a measurement with something like Unigine Heaven benchmark running.

I imagine a properly designed and sufficiently isolated DAC will show no difference, but you never know. Certainly when I used to have my PC soundcard connected to my subwoofer over lineout (RCA), it would hum worse whilst I was playing a game and the PC was under high load (and the hum was sufficiently load that I could hear it over the musics content).

Sokel

Master Contributor
Yes, but now do it again with something like Cinebench running in the background simulating 100% CPU load at the same time. And if you have a dedicated GPU, also do a measurement with something like Unigine Heaven benchmark running.

I imagine a properly designed and sufficiently isolated DAC will show no difference, but you never know. Certainly when I used to have my PC soundcard connected to my subwoofer over lineout (RCA), it would hum worse whilst I was playing a game and the PC was under high load (and the hum was sufficiently load that I could hear it over the musics content).
Already been done:

Edit:Note that the DAC/ADC measured here is in no way isolated or even externally powered,is just an old interface ,price 100 euros back then.
Pc is also old (10 yo,decent in it's time,about 1500 euros apart from case which I wanted to be nice so it was expensive but it will house my next one too)
The key is a having everything nicely grounded,having some decent thick traced MB,etc.
Nothing exotic.

Last edited:

notsodeadlizard

I don't use Windows, I use this player in Linux (but there is Windows version), I don't know if it's "audiphile" but it does exactly what the player should do and perfectly sends any high res (DSD etc) without resampling (if you want it) to the external USB connected topping in the "pure DAC" mode:

(and at the same time, in a Linux it doesn't require any not need complex settings for mpd and other stuff)

OP
PaperBoat

PaperBoat

I don't use Windows, I use this player in Linux (but there is Windows version), I don't know if it's "audiphile" but it does exactly what the player should do and perfectly sends any high res (DSD etc) without resampling (if you want it) to the external USB connected topping in the "pure DAC" mode:

(and at the same time, in a Linux it doesn't require any not need complex settings for mpd and other stuff)
Are you using ALSA or JACK?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Top Bottom