• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio watt meter for speakers?

Raxumit

I would like to know how many specific watts I'm using on my various speaker setups, in real time, measured. I can't find any simple "audio watt meter". Would it be possible, for example, to hook up one of these with banana plugs, and run it inline while listening to music?

I sincerely apologize if this is too rudimentary a question. I've searched the internet on and off for a few days, and can't find anything that looks anything like a definitive answer, one way or another.

AudiOhm

If the music is at a level that you enjoy and you measure the wattage at your speakers and you found out that it was exceeding 1,000 watts what would you do?

1.) Stop playing your music?
or
2.) Enjoy your music?

Why worry...

Ohms

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That looks like it only measures DC watts.

A simple multimeter can measure AC voltage and then you can do v^2/nominal impedance to get an estimate of wattage.

The other option is splurging on this

OP
R

Raxumit

If the music is at a level that you enjoy and you measure the wattage at your speakers and you found out that it was exceeding 1,000 watts what would you do?

1.) Stop playing your music?
or
2.) Enjoy your music?

Why worry...

Ohms
To answer your question, I'd keep listening for sure.

In all the amp discussions on this forum there's a lot of discussion about where distortion starts, how many watts are usable, etc. I sincerely doubt I'm pushing any but my smallest of chip amps. Still, I'd like to know.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would like to know how many specific watts I'm using on my various speaker setups, in real time, measured. I can't find any simple "audio watt meter". Would it be possible, for example, to hook up one of these with banana plugs, and run it inline while listening to music?
The problem is that speakers are not simple resistors. They present a complex AC impedance to the amplifier so any speaker level "watt meter" including those built into amplifiers are only approximations at best.

I have seen LED bar display kits that would give you a close approximation to the actual power being drawn once you calibrate it to much the load of your speakers.

JSmith

Master Contributor
I can't find any simple "audio watt meter".
Go oldschool... :cool:

s-l1600.jpg

JSmith

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir gave it a no recommendation. It slightly worsened distortion. I don't know if it would be audible (I think not). However you could use it for a time to convince yourself of what power was needed by your amp and then take it out of the system. A bit much for that, but up to you.

BTW, you can use a multimeter measuring voltage with a peak hold function and find out the max voltage and get some approximation of power that way. A few tutorials on the internet about how to do that.

AudiOhm

If you are going to measure the voltage at the speakers, you can use an AC amp probe to measure the current, then a simple calculation...

Ohms

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
To answer your question, I'd keep listening for sure.

In all the amp discussions on this forum there's a lot of discussion about where distortion starts, how many watts are usable, etc. I sincerely doubt I'm pushing any but my smallest of chip amps. Still, I'd like to know.
The suggested multimeter approach is the best to get some accurate numbers.

However, to give you an idea of a ballpark figure, which might already give you your desired answer, you could calculate backwards and approximately measure (eg with your phone) the SPL at your listening position and plugging this into one of these SPL calcs and solve for the power (just keep plugging in values until you are close).

It will show you how little power you actually need (P RMS) to get it pretty loud eg to 80dB SPL on average. However if you consider peak power and a worst case of 20dB crest factor for music (pop rock has much less) the power requirements go up by factor 100.

Again. Multimeter especially with amp probe is the way to go if you want it accurate.

OP
R

Raxumit

Thanks to all who responded. So, it took a bit, but I finally bought a clamp amp meter and did some measurements. I would appreciate a sanity check here - I might be mis-using my measuring tools.

For a 30 second section of a bassy electronic track, I'm coming up with the following numbers:

0.228 A (peak)
2.1 V (peak)

That works out to:

0.4788 watts at 9.21805 ohms.

This is getting me the following peak measured volume (phone app):

77 db @ 17 feet
83 db @ 8 feet

My speakers are pretty sensitive, but do I really only need half a watt to get to loud (80 db?).

If there's an error here, let me know where you think it might be.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks to all who responded. So, it took a bit, but I finally bought a clamp amp meter and did some measurements. I would appreciate a sanity check here - I might be mis-using my measuring tools.

For a 30 second section of a bassy electronic track, I'm coming up with the following numbers:

0.228 A (peak)
2.1 V (peak)

That works out to:

0.4788 watts at 9.21805 ohms.

This is getting me the following peak measured volume (phone app):

77 db @ 17 feet
83 db @ 8 feet

My speakers are pretty sensitive, but do I really only need half a watt to get to loud (80 db?).

If there's an error here, let me know where you think it might be.
What are the speakers?

Sokel

Master Contributor
Get a new Ice power edge module,they have amp and voltage analog meters (scaled) right on the outputs,you only have to connect a proper display to them (even VU meter style! )

OP
R

Raxumit

Maybe, on average.
Thanks Ray, that's a very helpful graph!

Is it just derived from two input values, Speaker Sensitivity and Ohms? Wouldn't mind a source if it's an online calculator somewhere.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the issue here is that all the VU meter type power indicators show average power, whilst what you want, I presume, is an indication of peak power. You therefore need a True-Peak reading instrument, or at least a Type 1 PPM, which will indicate the peak voltage and that can be calibrated in Watts on 8 ohms, or whatever the nominal rating of your loudspeakers.

However, this will indicate what the amp is putting out in volts, not what the loudspeakers are dissipating, which will be different due to the loudspeakers' impedance characteristics.

S

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey with 500 watts you can play your speakers at 110 db (maybe).

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Is it just derived from two input values, Speaker Sensitivity and Ohms? Wouldn't mind a source if it's an online calculator somewhere.

Ohms law applied to a spreadsheet.

The sensitivity is stated as 85dB at 1 watt for 8 ohms above

The other values are derived from that.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Audio watt meters are not a common thing. :( They are also very rare on amplifiers. :( It would be fairly cheap for a manufacturer to add one but then they might sell fewer high-power amplifiers..

Someday I might build one for myself with an Arduino. (I made a "giant VU meter" but it's just an LED effect that goes up & down with the loudness and it doesn't measure anything useful.)

Normally we want to know the peak power because we want to know if we are clipping, or nearly clipping, the amplifier.

Usually you'd just measure the voltage and then calculate based on the nominal speaker impedance ("assuming" the actual current). There's nothing "hard" about that but most standard measurement equipment isn't designed to do it.

No. That's not going to work with audio to a speaker.

An old-style electro-mechanical multimeter will do a pretty good job of measuring average RMS voltage with the readings smoothed-out by the mechanical inertia. Digital multimeters are also designed for continuous-constant voltage (or current) and they are unpredictable with audio program signals.

An oscilloscope can measure the peak voltage but a "decent" scope costs a few hundred dollars (or more).

OP
R

Raxumit

Hey with 500 watts you can play your speakers at 110 db (maybe).
Amir measures N252MP based amps at 105 good watts it looks like, so I guess I'm good to over 103 dB going by Ray's graph. I don't need more than 90 dB like, ever, so I think I'm fine.

Sokel: Get a new Ice power edge module,they have amp and voltage analog meters (scaled) right on the outputs,you only have to connect a proper display to them (even VU meter style! )

That sounds nifty. I'd love to see a demo.

It would be great if Hypex/Purifi/etc. all put some values readable on an IO pin that OEMs and DIY tinkers could use for display/logging. I can dream.

Top Bottom