• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sim Audio Moon 250i V2 - Matching speakers

Sylvia

Hi there, apologies if this has been already discussed but I have not found yet a thread that might help me finding a matching set of speakers for this particular case.
So I got a Sim Audio Moon amp as a present a couple months back and would like to build a setup with it. It is thought for a 25 square meter living room in an old apartment with just a tiny bit of acoustic isolation.

The tech specs of the amp are these:

- 50 Watt / 8 Ohms
- 100 W / 4 Ohms
- Amplification class A/B
- S/N ratio 101 db @ max.

I'll be listening mainly to jazz and classical music.

Heard recently the Wharfedale Evo 4.2 and really enjoyed them, but their specs show a recommended amplification of 25-120 Watt (87 db), so I wonder if my 50 W will be a bit short...

I'd be very thankful if sbody could give a pair of tipps of what are the basic specs I should look for given this amplifier.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Your amp will actually be around the 60w/channel into 8 Ohms. I'd guess from having had the older Moon i-1, and the HiFi World review of the Evo 4.2 that they should work together in your room fairly well. I had two way speakers of similar sensitivity, and the impedance of the Evos doesn't drop below 4 Ohms.

On the other hand, the smaller Evo 4.1 didn't do too well here

So there are likely to be better options. I suspect I'd be happy with the Evo 4.2s though, since I've heard and liked the floorstanding models in that range. The bookshelf models I've appreciated at the price of the Evo 4.2, though, wouldn't work with your amp so I'll join you in waiting for some alternative recommendations.

Where are you, by the way? It helps to say sometimes in helping to get answers. "It's not available where I am" is a common response on this forum.

OP
S

Sylvia

Your amp will actually be around the 60w/channel into 8 Ohms. I'd guess from having had the older Moon i-1, and the HiFi World review of the Evo 4.2 that they should work together in your room fairly well. I had two way speakers of similar sensitivity, and the impedance of the Evos doesn't drop below 4 Ohms.

On the other hand, the smaller Evo 4.1 didn't do too well here

So there are likely to be better options. I suspect I'd be happy with the Evo 4.2s though, since I've heard and liked the floorstanding models in that range. The bookshelf models I've appreciated at the price of the Evo 4.2, though, wouldn't work with your amp so I'll join you in waiting for some alternative recommendations.

Where are you, by the way? It helps to say sometimes in helping to get answers. "It's not available where I am" is a common response on this forum.
Thank you for your answer. I live in Barcelona, so I'd rather go for brands available here in Europe.
I have read a good review on another Wharfedale Speaker called Linton (the website is called Erin's Audio Corner, and he analyzes based on measurements, so that seems quite in the line of Audiosciencereview) But then again I am not sure that the 50-60 of the Moon 250i may be enough.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Thank you for your answer. I live in Barcelona, so I'd rather go for brands available here in Europe.
I have read a good review on another Wharfedale Speaker called Linton (the website is called Erin's Audio Corner, and he analyzes based on measurements, so that seems quite in the line of Audiosciencereview) But then again I am not sure that the 50-60 of the Moon 250i may be enough.
The Linton is a favourite in these parts, and Erin is widely trusted here. The one you refer to is the 85th Anniversary Heritage model, the one reviewed by Erin. I;ve heard and quite liked it.

However, the Linton is quite a different design to the Evo. As a 6 Ohm speaker, the Linton is a harder job for an amp to drive and it also has a lower minimum impedance. I would be more concerned about driving the Linton with your amp, than the Evo.

I'm not so sure about what brands are available where you are. We have Google, so when I get time I'll have a look. Hopefully someone else will join in soon.

Leo_Torres

Forum Donor
The Linton is a favourite in these parts, and Erin is widely trusted here. The one you refer to is the 85th Anniversary Heritage model, the one reviewed by Erin. I;ve heard and quite liked it.

However, the Linton is quite a different design to the Evo. As a 6 Ohm speaker, the Linton is a harder job for an amp to drive and it also has a lower minimum impedance. I would be more concerned about driving the Linton with your amp, than the Evo.

I'm not so sure about what brands are available where you are. We have Google, so when I get time I'll have a look. Hopefully someone else will join in soon.
Thank you so much!
I also live in Barcelona and could actually use a bit of advice in this regard. From what I can see Polk, Elac, Klipsch, Bower & Wilkins, Dali, Phonar... are here as well. There is currently a big hype with Wharfedale (I have no idea if it's justified)

Last edited:

Leo_Torres

Forum Donor
Hi there, apologies if this has been already discussed but I have not found yet a thread that might help me finding a matching set of speakers for this particular case.
So I got a Sim Audio Moon amp as a present a couple months back and would like to build a setup with it. It is thought for a 25 square meter living room in an old apartment with just a tiny bit of acoustic isolation.

The tech specs of the amp are these:

- 50 Watt / 8 Ohms
- 100 W / 4 Ohms
- Amplification class A/B
- S/N ratio 101 db @ max.

I'll be listening mainly to jazz and classical music.

Heard recently the Wharfedale Evo 4.2 and really enjoyed them, but their specs show a recommended amplification of 25-120 Watt (87 db), so I wonder if my 50 W will be a bit short...

I'd be very thankful if sbody could give a pair of tipps of what are the basic specs I should look for given this amplifier.

Thanks a lot in advance!
Check the thread called "Is my amp enough for my speakers", there are useful infos there.
I am also searching for speakers, my amp is a Marantz with 50W at 8 ohms as well - the cheapest model they offer currently.
Tried the ELAC DBR62 since they have been appraised here but it did not sound really good, I guess they were too much for the poor little amp...

OP
S

Sylvia

Check the thread called "Is my amp enough for my speakers", there are useful infos there.
I am also searching for speakers, my amp is a Marantz with 50W at 8 ohms as well - the cheapest model they offer currently.
Tried the ELAC DBR62 since they have been appraised here but it did not sound really good, I guess they were too much for the poor little amp...
Gràcies!

Galliardist

Major Contributor
I've had a look round for possibilities.
Firstly, I used my i-1 with German made Quadral Dauphin III speakers. These were nominally 4-8 Ohm, with 89db/W sensitivity. It appears that such sensitive speakers available in the Evo 4.2 price range where you are are Focal models, some of which are rather bright.

The Moon amp, though, should be able to drive the Evo 4.2 to fairly high levels safely. If you like them buy them, I guess.

@Leo Torres - the Marantz amp despite the same rating is less powerful. I can't vouch for them driving the Evos as well as the Moon, in a small space they would still work. The Marantz will not work with very insensitive speakers, but the nominal and the lowest impedance of the speaker needs to be taken into account as well. The Elacs you tried have a lower nominal impedance which is why it may have been difficult for your amp. I might suggest some of the Focal models but I'm not so sure which ones measure well. I've also been told the Wharfedale Diamond 12.2 is a reasonable match, but I've not heard it. You may need to visit some other dealers and see what they recommend that sounds good to you. If you can find a bookshelf speaker with 89-90dB sensitivity, it will help you along.

It's generally better to find the speakers you want and get an amp to match. I'm not so good working the other way round, as I think you can tell!

Remember, you can use a source component with equalisation, and tone controls (the Moon doesn't have them) to improve the sound later.

OP
S

Sylvia

Firstly, I used my i-1 with German made Quadral Dauphin III speakers. These were nominally 4-8 Ohm, with 89db/W sensitivity. It appears that such sensitive speakers available in the Evo 4.2 price range where you are are Focal models, some of which are rather bright.

The Moon amp, though, should be able to drive the Evo 4.2 to fairly high levels safely. If you like them buy them, I guess.

@Leo Torres - the Marantz amp despite the same rating is less powerful. I can't vouch for them driving the Evos as well as the Moon, in a small space they would still work. The Marantz will not work with very insensitive speakers, but the nominal and the lowest impedance of the speaker needs to be taken into account as well. The Elacs you tried have a lower nominal impedance which is why it may have been difficult for your amp. I might suggest some of the Focal models but I'm not so sure which ones measure well. I've also been told the Wharfedale Diamond 12.2 is a reasonable match, but I've not heard it. You may need to visit some other dealers and see what they recommend that sounds good to you. If you can find a bookshelf speaker with 89-90dB sensitivity, it will help you along.

It's generally better to find the speakers you want and get an amp to match. I'm not so good working the other way round, as I think you can tell!

Remember, you can use a source component with equalisation, and tone controls (the Moon doesn't have them) to improve the sound later.
Thank you ver much for your help, it is really kind of you taking the time of checking all this information just to give me a hand!

Leo_Torres

Forum Donor

Thanks a lot!

Top Bottom