• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio Note speakers

JiiPee

Well - I can't speak for all companies but Audio Note actually hires people with degrees in engineering and they use some of the best measuring and test equipment in the audio industry. So they measure and test and pair match their speakers to very tight tolerances. Most speaker makers and amp makers do this and they all make choices - many of them make choices that they feel sound better even if it runs contrary to what ASR or Stereophile might say is best. Richard Vandersteen (oops another one I forgot to mention) is an example. But makers make choices - some will choose Omni-directional - some feel planars or ESLs are the best approaches - narrow baffle vs wide baffle VS Open baffle (oops forgot Pure Audio Project) - Horns - Line Arrays (oops forgot Scaena), single Driver speakers (oops forgot Voxativ), Sub Satellite - all of these makers have their reasons and all of them try to put out some technical reason for doing it their way and all of them give up something to get something.

The terms objectivist and subjectivist are arguably used incorrectly in absolute terms. Manufacturers measure the equipment and they make choices as to what they think sounds best. Objectivist audiophiles - focus on measured performance trying to get the output to equal what the input was - straight wire with gain in amplifiers - speakers that measure flat on and off-axis with low distortion with the widest frequency response etc. And most will adhere to the DBT approach that if you do not tell A from B to the .05 level of statistical significance then there is no difference beyond detecting any better than chance. Although it is interesting that Audio Note gear wins these shootouts as do amplifiers like the Sugden A21 against better measuring amps. Stereophile did a blind test with a Radford tube amp for $100 VS $3,000 SS amps - and even the designers of the SS amplifier picked the Radford as sounding the best.

It's important to try and remove bias from these evaluations because price/name/looks and for that matter measurements can bias you TOO an amplifier or Speaker or AWAY from a speaker. On another forum - a fellow liked a speaker - was going to buy it but then read a measurement that the pair matching wasn't very good so he crossed it off his list. But he didn't hear it - he just read it. Huh? Ken Kessler is a reviewer who always did pair-matching measurements and made a big deal of it - but he still bought Quad Electrostatic that were off by +/-5.9dB (pretty damn terrible) - this is the guy that cares the most about this measurement always going on about it then buys speakers that are pretty horrendous at that very measurement - because - umm he liked them - ESLs have a certain "something-something" that he likes. You can't say he doesn't know what he is buying. I think anyone who hears a Quad or Soundlab (damn did I forget these too) - they have a type of sound you're not getting from some NRC-approved Floyd E Toole-approved Revel. I am sure the Revel is "more right" in terms of whatever the measurements tell you but what is also true is SoundLab has a sound that boxes don't equal - what is better is then to your taste. How do you want that favourite artist presented - do you want it balls accurate - Black Coffee - or do you want it with Cream - or do you want it with both Cream and Sugar. Or do you want Tea?

Is it objectively wrong to ruin the Coffee with Cream? Is it Objectively Wrong to have your Steak cooked above rare? Is it objectively wrong to put BBQ sauce on Pork Ribs? You buy the system that plays your favourite music the way that pleases you. If that to you is all Benchmark and Topping - great - if it is Shindo and Analog Domain 8000 watt SS amplifiers - great - if it is AN or Kondo or Accuphase or whatever - that's great.

No one needs to be "saved" - there is a saying "Never feel sorry for anyone who owns a boat" - that saying came about because if you could afford a boat and the upkeep the boat requires - you have no money issues. And that is true for the guy I saw handing over an envelope to the Audio Note dealer here in Hong Kong with $12,000 USD to buy two AN Cables. I talked to him - he buys the best cables from all the companies - in cash. Is he buying a placebo? Maybe - but he's the guy with the boat - he doesn't need to be saved. If all these audio savers spent their time trying to convince the flat earthers and climate change deniers who are dumb as rocks - then they might put their time to good use. Saving some millionaires from spending too much on Tooobs and cables seems like a waste.

I absolutely agree with with You when it comes to letting everyone purchase whatever it is that rocks their boat. However, imho, the essence in subjectivism vs. objectivism disagreement lies elsewhere.

The goal for objectivist audiophile is quite unequivocal and the level of how well that goal is achieved by a piece of audio equipment can be fairly accurately measured. The only grey area in determining whether A is better than B comes mainly from how much one appreciates engineering excellence over one's hearing capability i.e. is A really better than B just because it measures better, even if the difference is not big enough to be detectable to humans.

The goal for subjectivist is purely personal satisfaction, The superiority of A over B is just a matter of personal taste, and here is the problem: The subjectivist camp - headed with the media and "influencers" living in symbiosis with the manufacturers - claims objective superiority of A over B without any objective proof. When their declarations of superiority without evidence is challenged, they revert to "personal subjective experience over measurements" argument.

Unfortunately there are lots of people who believe that the buying recommendations from subjectivists really mean objectively high quality, and make their purchases accordingly. At worst they are really swindled by snake oil salesmen. Trying to provide information to them so that they could avoid being taken for a ride is a worthwhile thing to do in my opinion.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've listened to AN speakers several times.

First was at an audio show, their standard near the wall set up, playing some chamber music. Sounded very nice.

Next was another show, a very small pair of AN speakers that, at least in terms of the demo, produced just about the most impressive sound I heard at the show: extremely vivid human sounding vocals, and a "it's right there" and tonally convincing sax. Really stuck with me.

Next I auditioned some AE speakers at a local dealer. They were in the placed in the corners position. I tested them for quite a while with my usual test tracks. They were fairly impressive: good impact, punchy, quite nice timbre for acoustic instruments, and fairly spacious soundstaging. The main thing I couldn't get over was the corner-loading aspect. The bass wasn't bloated per se, but I just felt away of the "room lift" involved in helping out the sound, like a coloration I was aware of "not real bass coming from the speakers but a sort of room boosted" effect. Also I've never found that a speaker near wall boundaries allows it to sound it's best - the reflections introducing a slight reflection hash in the upper frequencies. So a speaker that is supposed to be used that way gave me pause.

Finally, in the same store, a few years ago, I heard another pair of AE speakers. This time pulled out from the walls in a "normal" configuration. I was fairly shocked: it was probably the worst sound I've heard from an expensive speaker. All sucked out in the warmth region, exaggerated highs, producing a totally artificial steely "ice picks for the ears" type tonality. I couldn't get past many tracks before wanting to get out of the room.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I imagine that really poorly measuring amplifiers and hugely coloured loudspeakers are available much more inexpensively?
Keith

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I certainly agree that the Audio Note pricing scheme is ridiculous. You get essentially the same cabinet and pay ridiculous price increases merely for different wires or capacitors as you go "up" the line.

To me, they've always been snake oil speakers. Even at a tenth of the price, I'm really not sure how good of a buy they would be, I certainly wouldn't purchase a pair even at 1/10th... Come on, 2 way, 1980s design, stick it in the corner speaker?! Wtf... I've always been extremely puzzled on how they sold for that much $$$... Probably the poster child for snake oil speakers.

What does that matter when they measure like poop and speakers costing much less than a 10th do a much better job as transducers?

IMHO, all about philosophy, as mentioned, you want to color your sound, do it via DSP, not speakers, amps, cables, etc. That's not the job of the speaker; your speaker isn't supposed to fix anything. Just accurately convert the signal to sound. Same for amp, cable, etc. 'Designer' speakers like these... Waste of $$.

It's wrong to charge $75 for a coffee because it's a designer coffee that contains cream made from special tits milk? Yes. See a fool and his money & absolute waste of money, like $1000 $6000usd hamburger with gold leafs. The notion that such products are worth the price is quite a bit BS, if you believe so, you should revisit your ... lack of common sense on ... on the topic. Really only 'good' for people who just have too much money and have ran out of things to spend it on... It's just excess; nonsensical.

That's a tough philosophical question. See a fool and his money. Should the fool be saved from himself? What if he doesn't want to be saved, and instead wants to continue acting like a fool, and wants to continue to spread BS in peace and encourage other fools to also be scammed? His choice right? Is it wrong to want him to stop encouraging snake oil and bs?
The problem with this - again - is you assume that I haven't heard all the best measuring speakers - I listed the ones off the top of my head - there are more.

In my case - I paid $2,500 for a pair of Audio Note J/SPe speakers in 2003. I sold the speakers in 2016 (7/10 condition) in their least popular colour black.

Let's enter your favourite $2500 speakers back in 2003, shall we? What would be your rough estimate of what you would be able to sell those speakers for in 2016? A $2500 Genelec or PMC or ATC - some of the studio standards. $1200 - $1400?

I sold the AN J/SPe for $2,900. 13 years of ownership and I made $400. Okay sure I lost on inflation but any of the speakers that I could have bought back then would have lost inflation AND at least $1100.

How about my Audio Note OTO Phono SE - I paid in 2003 $1800. I can sell it today for $2200-$2400. That's a 21 year old amplifier.

The reason for this is not that AN sounds the best - but what that brand does that virtually no other brand (none to my knowledge) is keep the same product in the line-up for decades. And the prices rise with inflation.

So a new AN J/Spe might sell now for $6500 - I put up my AN J/Spe for $3500 - Someone offers $2900. They got a great deal vs the new list price - I am happy because I enjoyed a speaker for 13 years for - as close to FREE as you are going to get. So suddenly when someone says AN is expensive - I can't really agree - the list price is high - they come well off their list price - but the resale is high if you keep the products long enough for them to raise their prices.

This will work for ANY audio company - what they have to do is keep the same model in the line-up for years - raise prices - and never discontinue the product or replace it with a new model.

This is what most companies do - they recycle the same products for a decade or more - I had a Rotel preamp (~$1400) they replaced it with a new number and a new exterior case - the inside was identical - same everything - they added an input but it was the same unit. The new Rotel came out at $1500. The old preamp is now deemed "broken" by the public - after all, it got replaced by a new more technologically advanced preamp - the $1400 preamp could then be ad for $550 second hand.

Bashing AN speakers won't get you anywhere with me - I consider it a troll - some of the best recording engineers and classical musicians and composers use AN speakers and equipment both in the recording and mastering studios - all of whom worked with ATC/Bryston/Genelec/PMC and others so they know those Professional monitor elite measuring speakers very well. And the REs who work with AN speakers have recorded some of the biggest acts in the music industry - not some forum nobody self-proclaimed RE who has "recorded" some nobody in his garage.

Audio Note and the old Snell speakers share exactly one thing - and ONLY one thing in common - the size of the cabinet which LL Beranek designed as being the "perfect acoustic box for a loudspeaker" - That cabinet design was what Peter Snell used and his speakers were award-winning designs in their day.

The AN K uses Scanspeak and are full 15 or so ply No Void Russian Birch and the AN J and E - are co-designs with SEAS

Their field coil is here https://jeffsplace.positive-feedbac...w-audio-note-uk-an-e-field-coil-loudspeakers/

Their Engineer, Andy Grove talks about the design here file:///C:/Users/Richard/Downloads/FIELD%20COIL%20DEVELOPMENT%20ANDY%20GROVE%20OCTOBER%202023(1).pdf

This isn't meant to try to sway anyone into liking them - that is a subjective response - I liked them without reading a peep about the company - I liked them way back when all it was was an ugly retro-looking box and I was comparing them to all the "technically superior" narrow baffle speakers and I kept thinking "why does the ****** looking box sound so much better than the NRC approved speakers that are supposed to be much much better? Why in the direct comparison does the goofy 300B amp sound so much better than the 600-watt Classe and the top Sim Audio SS amps or any other SS amp I try - Even with DSP on the SS - I could not recreate that 300B - the ole - add a resistor to the cable to make it sound like toooobs didn't work. The best I could attain was the "stereotype" of a tube amp like ST70 but then I never liked the ST70 so it seemed to me that was the "basis" for people think of when they think of tubes.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
It is completely fine to enjoy coloured reproduction, as long as you realise it is simply that, poorly engineered equipment .
Keith

I certainly agree that the Audio Note pricing scheme is ridiculous. You get essentially the same cabinet and pay ridiculous price increases merely for different wires or capacitors as you go "up" the line.

Well that's a bit unfair - I know folks here don't think cables matter but their silver wires do cost more than copper and they have a high discard rate in the process of making them - so setting aside one's belief in silver vs copper - and just looking at the costs - silver is considerably more expensive because it's not just the wire - it's the fact that their voice coils are also wound with the silver - and Silver internal (silver caps).

I mean you also left out the drivers - you aren't getting the same speaker drivers - either woofer or tweeters.

These are co-designed with SEAS and are only made for Audio Note.

AN-E-Spx-Alnico-4.jpg

On the left is the AlNiCo tweeter

images

The Field Coils
DSC_0275.jpeg

And here's the nice thing - if you think all drivers sound the same - and all wires sound the same - and if you think there is no difference between silver and copper wires or fancy caps and resistors - they offer the speaker in the bare bones model - you don't have to pay for any of that stuff -

There aren't too many speakers in the price range of the entryish level AN J and AN E that give you the cabinet craftsmanship in 20 real wood finishes while also not being made in China - but a Green Stream powered plant in Austria - and when you go to sell them in 10 years you will get your money back - When I sold my much measurement hyped KEF LS-50s - I got a disappointing return to the say the least since they were still under warranty. No one wants the discontinued made in sweat shop China speakers.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Spending ten years enduring poor reproduction purely for recouping outlay doesn’t personally appeal.
Keith

I absolutely agree with with You when it comes to letting everyone purchase whatever it is that rocks their boat. However, imho, the essence in subjectivism vs. objectivism disagreement lies elsewhere.

The goal for objectivist audiophile is quite unequivocal and the level of how well that goal is achieved by a piece of audio equipment can be fairly accurately measured. The only grey area in determining whether A is better than B comes mainly from how much one appreciates engineering excellence over one's hearing capability i.e. is A really better than B just because it measures better, even if the difference is not big enough to be detectable to humans.

The goal for subjectivist is purely personal satisfaction, The superiority of A over B is just a matter of personal taste, and here is the problem: The subjectivist camp - headed with the media and "influencers" living in symbiosis with the manufacturers - claims objective superiority of A over B without any objective proof. When their declarations of superiority without evidence is challenged, they revert to "personal subjective experience over measurements" argument.

Unfortunately there are lots of people who believe that the buying recommendations from subjectivists really mean objectively high quality, and make their purchases accordingly. At worst they are really swindled by snake oil salesmen. Trying to provide information to them so that they could avoid being taken for a ride is a worthwhile thing to do in my opinion.
I fell prey to this myself in that I felt what I heard was the right way to hear it. Thus I was that subjectivist you are talking about where my "opinion" was "objective reality" - of course in a real sense - it is objective reality - but only to me. I mean objectively Brussels Sprouts are really good - but I heave at the smell of the dreadful things. But they sell the damn things so someone likes them.

The issue with proofs is that some of the tests we use in audio were not designed for audio - DBTs for instance are often conducted by engineers - not psychologists who understand the difference between Validity (the range rule) and reliability and these medical DBTs which are used for physiological responses isn't the same as a a "subjective response" under test. So when someone claims that CD player A sounds better than B - they need to choose A from B 9/10 times to meet the .05 Significance level (Ie; they could not have chosen A by chance) - the problem is that what about the person who got 5/6/7 or 8 out of ten - the engineer considers that a fail and says - see A and B sound the same. But had they gone further to increase "reliability" they "should have" kept testing that person because if that person got 6/10 ten times with a miss for 59/100 - that ALSO meets the .05 Signifane level and they are deemed to have not been able to choose A by chance - thus they could detect a difference in the same way as 9/10. And the reason you run those extra trials is because this is not a physiological response but a test that is "subtle".

Validity is the other issue - music listening is largely a right hemisphere brain activity where one sits back and listens to the whole even - the forrest. A test is a left brain hemisphere endeavour and one is listening "for" certain cues to try and select what might be sounding different - listening for the "trees."

Now I am not against the DBT as it may sound - just that the test is fallible - but it still useful for all those Subjectivists who say things like - "I can always tell a silver cable from a copper cable - immediately all the time - the differences are NIGHT AND DAY. I am sure we have seen many such posters and dealers trying to suggest this on forums. The basic DBT as generally done - is good enough to stop that nonsense. Subtle differences - people who claim they feel A is better than B but not all the time - well that is a different claim.

And the DBT doesn't fix or end a bias - I'll give you a personal example. I auditioned two CD players - I felt A was better than B - close but subjectively I felt I heard A was better - both were SS CD players. I connected them up to a line level headphone amp device - you could match volumes within 0.5dB and just flip between the CD players - someone else did the flipping and I sat facing the other way. I chose A 8 out 14 times - thus I failed the DBT.

Here's the problem - even though I know I failed - and even though I know that that means I should not be able to distinguish the two players - once I started playing them sighted - my brain kept on insisting that nope A still sounded slightly better than B. So what can I do? My intellect tells me they're the same but well - when I listen sighted even after the test A was better. Test stress issue as I mentioned earlier? At that time I didn't know about any of that.

I didn't buy either one - but for the record, A was the cheaper of the two players so I have since never assumed that more expensive will sound better.

Although my experience does say that "within a company line" more expensive sounds better. Ie; a B&W Nautilus sounds better than B&W 800 which sounds better than B&W 700 which sounds better than B&W 600 which sounds better than B&W 300. I rarely ever walk away from a brand and say their $300 speaker blows away their $30,000 speaker. So in this sense price tends to matter.

Spending ten years enduring poor reproduction purely for recouping outlay doesn’t personally appeal.
Keith
Hi Keith - I think it's bad form and shows a lack of professionalism as a dealer to slag the competition. It looks desperate because it comes across as a conflict of interest as if you are trying to draw eyes and sales away from a competing brand/dealer and instead into your shop. If your room sounds better, then that sound will do all the convincing it needs to do - IE; the music demonstration is the final and only arbiter for most people. The best dealers have never needed to 'sell' or disparage other gear - they say - what do you want to hear - let the customer control the volume - and let them listen - if it sounds great they will buy it.

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
It's important to try and remove bias from these evaluations because price/name/looks and for that matter measurements can bias you TOO an amplifier or Speaker or AWAY from a speaker. On another forum - a fellow liked a speaker - was going to buy it but then read a measurement that the pair matching wasn't very good so he crossed it off his list. But he didn't hear it - he just read it. Huh? Ken Kessler is a reviewer who always did pair-matching measurements and made a big deal of it - but he still bought Quad Electrostatic that were off by +/-5.9dB (pretty damn terrible) - this is the guy that cares the most about this measurement always going on about it then buys speakers that are pretty horrendous at that very measurement - because - umm he liked them - ESLs have a certain "something-something" that he likes. You can't say he doesn't know what he is buying. I think anyone who hears a Quad or Soundlab (damn did I forget these too) - they have a type of sound you're not getting from some NRC-approved Floyd E Toole-approved Revel. I am sure the Revel is "more right" in terms of whatever the measurements tell you but what is also true is SoundLab has a sound that boxes don't equal - what is better is then to your taste. How do you want that favourite artist presented - do you want it balls accurate - Black Coffee - or do you want it with Cream - or do you want it with both Cream and Sugar. Or do you want Tea?
While I understand your point, I don't see the example with Sound Lab or Quad are good examples here. Especially big Sound Labs electrostatics measure very well and much than Revel in certain important areas. I think if people believe Revel is a much better speaker from objective data, they are simply misinterpreting it. Which is quite common IMO.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Contrary to certain misinformation being propagated in this thread, no reputable classical music recordists--including the technically illiterate ones, of whom there are several--use Audio Note speakers. Perhaps someone affiliated with an audiophile classical music microlabel uses them. (Classical musicians and composers have all kinds of garbage systems, including Bose Wave Radios, and that's fine. Most musicians and composers do not purport to be experts in sound reproduction.)

I've had some experiences listening to five-figure Audio Note speakers, which presumably had the fancy silver wiring, etc. (I don't remember or care if they did.) After each of those experiences, I thought to myself, "Intellectually, I know those weren't the worst speakers I've ever heard, but it certainly seems as though they were." I have heard worse--Voxativ, for example.

Audio Note speakers are characterized by lumpy lows with nothing in the bottom octave, messy directivity, and resonant cabinets. This recipe is perhaps a fun throwback to the '70s but a farce in light of contemporary engineering.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
About the same same design principle. Two-way speakers, both with eight inch bass drivers, roughly the same type of baffle BUT in Snell's case it is done right in the bass area, no bass boost but a nice FR:
View attachment 359591
View attachment 359593

For the Audio Note AN-E Lexus Signature, it looks like this in the bass area:
View attachment 359594
View attachment 359596

The AN-E is based on the Snell E-III. They paid for rights to copy it, although the rear facing tweeter is removed. I once had a pair of E3's. They did not image well and the surrounds wore out after about 6 or 7 years. The company folded when the owner suddenly died at work.

GM3

"Even at a tenth of the price, I'm really not sure how good of a buy they would be"
In my case - I paid $2,500 for a pair of Audio Note J/SPe speakers in 2003. I sold the speakers in 2016 (7/10 condition) in their least popular colour black.
TBF, embarrassingly, every time I've seen/heard Audio Note, they were the ridiculously overpriced models (trade shows), so that was my basis for the 1/10th comment. Likely wouldn't apply to their 1.5k-2.5k models, which they do have..

Audio Note AN-J (1990s) - MSRP around $1,500 to $2,000
[*]Audio Note AN-K (1990s) - MSRP around $2,500 to $3,000
[*]Audio Note AN-K/SPe (2000s) - MSRP around $5,000 to $6,000
[*]Audio Note AN-J/SPe (2010s) - MSRP around $3,500 to $4,500
[*]Audio Note AN-K/SPx (2010s) - MSRP around $7,000 to $8,000
[*]Audio Note AN-E (1990s) - MSRP around $8,000 to $12,000
[*]Audio Note AN-E/LX (2000s) - MSRP around $15,000 to $20,000
[*]Audio Note AN-E SEC Signature (2000s) - MSRP around $20,000 to $30,000
[*]Audio Note AN-E/LX HE (2010s) - MSRP around $25,000 to $30,000
[*]Audio Note AN-E/LX HE Signature (2020s) - MSRP around $40,000 to $50,000

Let's enter your favourite $2500 speakers back in 2003, shall we?
That's a long time ago. But to put things in perspective, let's go back ~15 years ago, a few options that pop to mind, that I would have likely purchased at the time, for high end audiophile speakers:

(Salks were custom built; choose your veneer & all) Of course there's many more, but that's just to get an idea of the type of speakers you could have been able to buy instead of paying 5-6k (plus stands) for this:

1713793557711.png

I mean, as you increase budget, with normal speaker brands you do get a lot more than you do with Audio Note ... If you put side by side Audio Note speakers and other brands, at different price points, what do you think would be the common public reaction? A 25k speaker, vs 25k Audio Note? Does this even look like a high end, $10k, speaker?! How do you defend Audio Note? Certainly, with better selling points than this?

Audio Note keeps it simple:
“The design of the AN-J Loudspeaker, by contrast, follows an altogether different philosophy. It calls for a cabinet that complements the chosen drive units, rather than fighting against them. Instead of trying to kill the resonances, we tailor the cabinet to place them in frequency bands where they aid and enhance the operation of the drive units, culminating in a loudspeaker system that makes the most of the preceding amplifier’s output.”

The cabinet itself has minimal bracing to avoid a dead, lifeless sound–this is pretty common among British loudspeakers. It should be no surprise that the ol’ knuckle rap test reveals this approach–I could use the Js as a pair of cajons if I wanted. But I won’t.
Resale.. I'm guessing if you're lucky to find a good/great price, you might be able to get decent $, but that wouldn't be my priority for choosing speakers. Not entirely sure resale is that great, but YMMV, maybe where you are they are.. I have serious doubts that if you purchased the above 10k audio note speakers, that you could get anywhere near that money back...

I know when it was time to sell my Totems they sold quickly (though I did lose couple hundreds as bought new), so I guess that's a plus for such brand, but still I don't think it's a good reason to buy them... Could be said to be worse for used buyers, as speakers degrade over time, if you're paying big bucks for an old speaker..

Last edited:

DSJR

Major Contributor
I 'owned' a pair of Snell E II or III's back in the mid 80's (they had the rear tweeter). This pair, on the 11" 'Pirate' stands as they were often sold with back then, sounded great in a free-field setting with the then UK-recommended and quite stylish Audio Innovations amps (edit - source was a multi-motor Void deck with customary Helius tonearm, I forget the pickup). Taken away from that, the bass was boomy, upper mid/crossover region has a nasty shriek which I didn't hear in the 'recommended' system and the top was acceptable in isolation. I had them for two days at home (near field listening) and they sold through the store a few days after, the buyer from memory, owning a suitable system and room for them.

I've not attended a large audio show for a long time now, but when I did in the 90's to early noughties, AN rooms always sounded horrible, the records they played not in good order either, yet they seemed oblivious to that fact. I also remember that one could usually tell a vinyl record playing out in the corridor as the bass 'sounded' different to outside rooms with master grade or digital sources being used... Just my subjective based memories but thinking back just now, makes me chuckle :)

Last edited:

Rosenild

To me, they've always been snake oil speakers. Even at a tenth of the price, I'm really not sure how good of a buy they would be, I certainly wouldn't purchase a pair even at 1/10th... Come on, 2 way, 1980s design, stick it in the corner speaker?! Wtf... I've always been extremely puzzled on how they sold for that much $$$... Probably the poster child for snake oil speakers.

What does that matter when they measure like poop and speakers costing much less than a 10th do a much better job as transducers?

IMHO, all about philosophy, as mentioned, you want to color your sound, do it via DSP, not speakers, amps, cables, etc. That's not the job of the speaker; your speaker isn't supposed to fix anything. Just accurately convert the signal to sound. Same for amp, cable, etc. 'Designer' speakers like these... Waste of $$.

It's wrong to charge $75 for a coffee because it's a designer coffee that contains cream made from special tits milk? Yes. See a fool and his money & absolute waste of money, like $1000 $6000usd hamburger with gold leafs. The notion that such products are worth the price is quite a bit BS, if you believe so, you should revisit your ... lack of common sense on ... on the topic. Really only 'good' for people who just have too much money and have ran out of things to spend it on... It's just excess; nonsensical.

That's a tough philosophical question. See a fool and his money. Should the fool be saved from himself? What if he doesn't want to be saved, and instead wants to continue acting like a fool, and wants to continue to spread BS in peace and encourage other fools to also be scammed? His choice right? Is it wrong to want him to stop encouraging snake oil and bs?

It is extremely categorical to postulate that Audio Note is pure "snake oil"; I don't see any reasoning behind this kind of logic.

Have you heard Audio Note speakers? It's very seldom that I listen to systems so musical, authentic and natural as Audio Note.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Whoah! Nothing wrong with being an enthusiast. But Richard Austen‘s appearance here to write his usual extended defences of Audio Note makes me feel like I’m back on the Steve Hoffman forum! I’m disoriented. ‍

Top Bottom