• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio Note speakers

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
What's the deal with Audio Note speakers ?
They have so many models and they're not exactly cheap (can cost over $100K)
And it seems they're "legendary " speakers on other audiophile forums.
What's so special about them ?
Screenshot_20240306_051821_Chrome.jpg

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I suspect you’re not really waiting for ASR members to affirm the “greatness” of Audio Note speakers ;-)

I auditioned, audio notes speakers, and their usual configuration set up near room corners. I thought they sounded quite nice.
I also heard a small pair of sound really terrific had an audio show.

The last time I listened to audio note speakers, was that an audio store a while back. it was one of their cheaper models, they look similar to the above models. In this case they were pulled out into the room more. They sounded absolutely horrid. Thin and bright as hell. I cut my listening time short with those things.

Last edited:

Selkirks

Although they are a basic design and likely measure like shit I enjoyed my time with the AN-J and AN-E. Pleasant listening no matter what position or gear pairing, from Devialet to SET tube amps. Explaining the sound would get me too deep in the rabbit hole of made up Audiophile descriptors.

I suspect a bump in mid-bass but never measured. The asking prices as you go higher up the chain are ridiculous.

Last edited:

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They was some kind of variant on the snell type E and type J speakers ? Once .

They runned with this concept forever since the 90’s . Prices are ofcourse nuts ?

As usual with AN no real development just voodoo

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Effect generators.
Keith

DanielT

Major Contributor
They was some kind of variant on the snell type E and type J speakers ? Once .

They runned with this concept forever since the 90’s . Prices are ofcourse nuts ?

As usual with AN no real development just voodoo
Popular about three decades ago. That is, two-way speakers with an 8 inch bass and tweeter without (WG). You mentioned Snell. Buy some used Snell III instead of a Audio Note speaker and save a hell of a lot of money. Okay you might need to re-foam the bass driver as the edges have weathered away but it's not hard to do and it costs almost nothing to buy such a re-foam kit.:)
5792811-7659-5__45467.1511219582.jpg

In Sweden we had the popular QRS 500 speaker, which was a sign off the times back in the 1990s. Same 8 inch bass and tweeter design concept without WG. Both the QRS 500 and Snell III were built with Vifa drivers (if I remember correctly). QRS took a lot of inspiration from Snell.

The QRS 500 were very popular because the price was modest and they actually sounded pretty good I must say.What I remember anyway. It's been decades since I listened to some QRS 500:
QRS-500-56867.jpeg
These must appeal to this nostalgia, I imagine. I would have preferred Snell III or QRS 500 but still:

Last edited:

Selkirks

These must appeal to this nostalgia, I imagine. I would have preferred Snell III or QRS 500 but still:

I was reminded how the Audio Note sound can be acquired for cheap when I picked up a used pair of Tekton Lore S with Seas Excel components.

Tekton Lore S.jpg

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
It might be possible to combine an 8-inch bass with a one-inch tweeter. If so with the right type of drivers and a good, sensible design where, for example, a waveguide can be of great help. WG, which by the way,none of the speakers above have.

Here a DIY kit with an 8 inch bass and a one inch tweeter with WG. It looks good, especially considering the price of that kit::)
unnamed.png

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
The only model for which I quickly found some measurements shows the typical overpriced "high end" mess:
And still a great review, including (I laughed out loud) "Then, at almost the same moment, my wife walked into the hi-fi room from where she was scouring pans or some such thing, and asked, "What's this?"
And people wonder why I bash these rags.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
It might be possible to combine an 8-inch bass with a one-inch tweeter. If so with the right type of drivers and a good, sensible design where, for example, a waveguide can be of great help. WG, which by the way,none of the speakers above have.

Here a DIY kit with an 8 inch bass and a one inch tweeter with WG. It looks good, especially considering the price of that kit::)
View attachment 354575

If you ever go to Nepal you have to try the chicken momo's. Delicious!

Rosenild

Apparently Audio Note has borrowed their business model from Scientology. Victims of the scam are constantly encouraged to pay more to achieve the next level.

This is a serious postulate that requires elaboration or at least should be backed up by valid sources.

Their production line is more similar to that of Volvo: they have product platforms that comes in different categories with different components and therefore different prices.

I have listened to a lot of systems over the years and I must admit that it is seldom that I come across systems with such finesse and musicality.
auditioned them many times. Mutton priced as lamb.

They don't sound bad, just wrong. Their appeal eludes me, even if they were cheap I'd avoid.

How do they sound "wrong"?

Rosenild

Bass like a 1950s radiogram.

Are you aware of the preferable positioning of Audio Note speakers? If not, then you should try to experiment with placing the speakers close the corners to get the full effect of the natural sounding bass.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IME the recommendation for corner placement just makes it worse.

Seen it described as a 'Comedy bass hump.' It does sort of enhance the realism of a double bass in a jazz trio or quartet, I grant you that, but it's a disaster with other types of music.

DanielT

Major Contributor

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Top Bottom