• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio Listening With Age Diminished Hearing

Haflermichi

"Be scared, be very scared"
Sorry, bad paraphrase from The Fly. Great SciFi movie by the way...

Not to be too alarmist but if you value your hearing, you should consider protecting it whenever and wherever you can.
This hobby is critically dependent on it.
I'm 54 and have moderate tinnitus and hearing loss.
Part of the hearing loss spectrum is genetic, which you can't control and the other part is environmental, which you can.
When we're young we can be told or forced to protect our hearing but it's hard to realize and accept future repercussions of our
actions when we're young and "invincible".

Many rock bands, many rock concerts, many motorcycles, many power tool projects+ genetics=where I am now.
You can't go back in time and I wouldn't trade those life experiences for the world.
But I do have multiple sets of earplugs in all my bags and cars now.
When I go to music shows and movies I use affordable "musician's" plugs.
I haven't yet sprung for the type with custom molded earpieces.

My attitude is I'm going to do every damn thing possible to protect what remains of my hearing.

You have to make it become second nature even if people look at you strangely.

My wife is an optometrist and my work mandates eye protection zones so safety glasses are also second nature now too.
Consider if you were a fine art painter and lost your vision, or a wine afficionado and lost your sense of taste and smell.

I once helped a store I worked for put together those giant metal palette racks in a small concrete room.
It was a manager and a bunch of kids younger than me. I was the only one with plugs.
When the hammer pounding started some of the kids, the smart ones, reacted like they were struck by lightning and immediately
plugged their ears with their hands. The not so bright ones (macho boys) didn't even seem to notice and just kept pounding away!
It was astonishing.
Fortunately, as an adult, I had enough influence with the manager that he agreed we should stop immediately and go buy
a box of plugs.

My tinnitus affects me everyday. I hear it right now and it's never, ever going to go away.
While I am fortunate that I can still enjoy this great hobby of ours I do wish I had "listened" way back when.
It's all in your hands.
Oh yeah, I forgot the 10 years driving original Fiat Spiders with the top down year round (Hawaii).

cistercian

Forum Donor
"Be scared, be very scared"
Sorry, bad paraphrase from The Fly. Great SciFi movie by the way...

Not to be too alarmist but if you value your hearing, you should consider protecting it whenever and wherever you can.
This hobby is critically dependent on it.
I'm 54 and have moderate tinnitus and hearing loss.
Part of the hearing loss spectrum is genetic, which you can't control and the other part is environmental, which you can.
When we're young we can be told or forced to protect our hearing but it's hard to realize and accept future repercussions of our
actions when we're young and "invincible".

Many rock bands, many rock concerts, many motorcycles, many power tool projects+ genetics=where I am now.
You can't go back in time and I wouldn't trade those life experiences for the world.
But I do have multiple sets of earplugs in all my bags and cars now.
When I go to music shows and movies I use affordable "musician's" plugs.
I haven't yet sprung for the type with custom molded earpieces.

My attitude is I'm going to do every damn thing possible to protect what remains of my hearing.

You have to make it become second nature even if people look at you strangely.

My wife is an optometrist and my work mandates eye protection zones so safety glasses are also second nature now too.
Consider if you were a fine art painter and lost your vision, or a wine afficionado and lost your sense of taste and smell.

I once helped a store I worked for put together those giant metal palette racks in a small concrete room.
It was a manager and a bunch of kids younger than me. I was the only one with plugs.
When the hammer pounding started some of the kids, the smart ones, reacted like they were struck by lightning and immediately
plugged their ears with their hands. The not so bright ones (macho boys) didn't even seem to notice and just kept pounding away!
It was astonishing.
Fortunately, as an adult, I had enough influence with the manager that he agreed we should stop immediately and go buy
a box of plugs.

My tinnitus affects me everyday. I hear it right now and it's never, ever going to go away.
While I am fortunate that I can still enjoy this great hobby of ours I do wish I had "listened" way back when.
It's all in your hands.

I used to build big tesla coils. I still have a 10KW pole transformer in the basement that was custom built for me.
I used hearing protection but I did not understand how much UV the primary spark gap made. My eyes are nuked...
I am getting cataracts. Surgery looms...

Being invincible is awesome...until you get old!

Haflermichi

I think you will be quite pleased with the implanted lenes you will receive. The technology has gotten better and better.
My wife recounts many cases of cataract patients remarking how much more "colorful, vibrant and detailed" their vision is after cataract surgery.

cistercian

Forum Donor
I think you will be quite pleased with the implanted lenes you will receive. The technology has gotten better and better.
My wife recounts many cases of cataract patients remarking how much more "colorful, vibrant and detailed" their vision is after cataract surgery.
It seems eye surgery keeps improving fast...I am putting it off as long as I can so I can enjoy the results more!

AudGuy

My wife reports that laser surgery for Cataracts has worked wonders for her eyes, and almost nothing to it.

I think my primary aggravation factor for hearing loss would be poorly fitting motorcycle helmets.
Always, too large and loose fitting provided a veritable hurricane of wind noise.
Eventually we learned and started using foam earplugs which did work quite well.
The helmet I wear now is from Germany and is clearly the best helmet ever worn.
And I still wear earplugs when out on the highway.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
A wad of soggy tissue paper makes a good attenuator when you need them in a pinch.

Make it big - over and not so much into the ear canal.

I even use my foam plugs wet now.

AudGuy

A wad of soggy tissue paper makes a good attenuator when you need them in a pinch.

Make it big - over and not so much into the ear canal.

I even use my foam plugs wet now.

:) We started using the wax plugs, roll em up in the hands melting the wax and stuff them in.
Hold them in place for about a minute and you are virtually deaf, that should work well.
But oh the ugliness of a gnarly grubby melted bit of wax and cotton being stuffed into the ear canal.

Today I have some custom attenuators, but a properly rolled and inserted foam plug is a better noise blocker.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

shumi

62 year old with a lot of shooting in my life. Most of it, without ear protection (not practical... enough said). Left ear is down 6dbs with respect to right from 200hz to 2khz. I still enjoy my hifi with pin point phantom center stage and critical localization of instruments. I use a Bryston 10 B crossover to augment my subs with my main speakers and use the high line levels to offset the right channel by exactly 6dBs . Subs are perfectly matched in levels. Results are stunning with speakers set symmetrical to listening position.

threni

Major Contributor
Is there a set of reference files of each frequency, especially the higher ones, which I can download, or a way of generating them "properly". I'd like to check out my ears/hifi and want to avoid aliasing and other artefacts which I'll hear in place of the tone itself. It seems that I can hear 20khz from here: http://mdf1.tripod.com/test-tones.html. I tried some other site which got you to tell apart two tones but it used white noise filtered at the frequency being tested and I didn't get anywhere with that (although I wasn't using my proper system for that). And are their any placebo-type effects I need to be aware of?

beren777

Is there a set of reference files of each frequency, especially the higher ones, which I can download, or a way of generating them "properly". I'd like to check out my ears/hifi and want to avoid aliasing and other artefacts which I'll hear in place of the tone itself. It seems that I can hear 20khz from here: http://mdf1.tripod.com/test-tones.html. I tried some other site which got you to tell apart two tones but it used white noise filtered at the frequency being tested and I didn't get anywhere with that (although I wasn't using my proper system for that). And are their any placebo-type effects I need to be aware of?

I believe REW includes a tone generator that will generate whatever audio frequency you like.

threni

Major Contributor
I believe REW includes a tone generator that will generate whatever audio frequency you like.
Thanks. What am I looking for with the various options on the dialog? Are the defaults ok? They are:
Sine wave
RMS level dBFS: -20
add dither: 16 bits
stop if excessive input clipping
output is R (right channel only? don't I want L and R for mono?)
The other options are blank.
I'm going to need to create .wav files for my system as I've installed REW in a linux vm with no audio. Doesn't seem to be any options for duration which is a shame as short samples I've been playing with (not produced with REW) produce little pops each time they loop.

Last edited:

beren777

Thanks. What am I looking for with the various options on the dialog? Are the defaults ok? They are:
Sine wave
RMS level dBFS: -20
add dither: 16 bits
stop if excessive input clipping
output is R (right channel only? don't I want L and R for mono?)
The other options are blank.
I'm going to need to create .wav files for my system as I've installed REW in a linux vm with no audio. Doesn't seem to be any options for duration which is a shame as short samples I've been playing with (not produced with REW) produce little pops each time they loop.

If you need to do short timed samples in a semi-automated fashion you should look into scripting it with a batch file. There are a number of Linux audio utilities like sox and saugns but I haven't personally played with them.

Habu

Hello from France,

Age-Related Changes in Auditory Sensation
Jos J. Eggermont, in The Auditory Brain and Age-Related Hearing Impairment, 2019
2.1.3 Extended High-Frequency Audiometry
High-frequency hearing loss typically manifests itself around age 50 in standard audiometry (cf. Fig. 2.1) but becomes more obvious, even at younger ages, when frequencies above 8 kHz are included. Lee et al. (2005) demonstrated this in a longitudinal study by analyzing pure-tone thresholds for standard and extended high-frequency audiometry in 188 older adults. At the time of entry into the study, people’s ages ranged from 60 to 81 years, with a mean age of 68 years. The participants were tested between 2 and 21 times over a period of 3–11.5 years. Lee et al. (2005) found that, on average, hearing thresholds increased approximately 1 dB/year for subjects age 60 and over. Subjects with higher initial thresholds at low and mid frequencies tended to have a faster rate of threshold change at 0.25–2 kHz in the following years. Subjects with higher initial thresholds at mid and higher frequencies tended to have a slower rate of change at 6–8 kHz in the following years. Noise exposure history did not have a significant effect on the rate of threshold changes. Extended high-frequency thresholds at 9–18 kHz were measured every 2–3 years. As expected, hearing loss was larger in males than in females for frequencies between 2 and 12 kHz, but not ≤1 kHz and >12 kHz. Langers et al. (2012) and Melcher et al. (2013) corroborated this in tinnitus patients with “clinically normal” hearing, that is, with thresholds ≤20 dB HL for frequencies ≤8 kHz, and matched with a nontinnitus control group. Both studies found that the hearing loss increased sharply up to 16 kHz.
A life-span audiometric study that also covered the extended high-frequency range was carried out by Jilek et al. (2014). A sample of 411 otologically normal men and women 16–70 years of age was assessed for both ears using a high-frequency audiometer (Fig. 2.3). The study showed that considerable high-frequency (>10 kHz) hearing loss already starts in the 30–39-year age group and increases considerably in the next decade for both females and males.

Figure 2.3. Average pure-tone audiograms in dB HL in (A) men and (B) women grouped by their age in decades (the parameter is age group in years). The extended high-frequency range is zoomed for clarity.
Source: Reprinted from Jilek, M., Suta, D., Syka, J., 2014. Reference hearing thresholds in an extended frequency range as a function of age. J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 136 (4), 1821–1830, with permission from the acoustical Society of America.

Source : https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/medicine-and-dentistry/high-frequency-hearing-loss

CC495D46-340E-45F2-BB70-F01DFED2E7AB.png

threni

Major Contributor
If you need to do short timed samples in a semi-automated fashion you should look into scripting it with a batch file. There are a number of Linux audio utilities like sox and saugns but I haven't personally played with them.

No this is great - 1 minute samples. I'll have to play around a bit as the defaults are quite quiet and I've had to normalize them first. But I can clearly hear 21khz, - and clearly hear the difference between the six Topping E30 filters - so I'm 51 so I'm not doing too badly.

JoachimStrobel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hello from France,

Age-Related Changes in Auditory Sensation
Jos J. Eggermont, in The Auditory Brain and Age-Related Hearing Impairment, 2019
2.1.3 Extended High-Frequency Audiometry
High-frequency hearing loss typically manifests itself around age 50 in standard audiometry (cf. Fig. 2.1) but becomes more obvious, even at younger ages, when frequencies above 8 kHz are included. Lee et al. (2005) demonstrated this in a longitudinal study by analyzing pure-tone thresholds for standard and extended high-frequency audiometry in 188 older adults. At the time of entry into the study, people’s ages ranged from 60 to 81 years, with a mean age of 68 years. The participants were tested between 2 and 21 times over a period of 3–11.5 years. Lee et al. (2005) found that, on average, hearing thresholds increased approximately 1 dB/year for subjects age 60 and over. Subjects with higher initial thresholds at low and mid frequencies tended to have a faster rate of threshold change at 0.25–2 kHz in the following years. Subjects with higher initial thresholds at mid and higher frequencies tended to have a slower rate of change at 6–8 kHz in the following years. Noise exposure history did not have a significant effect on the rate of threshold changes. Extended high-frequency thresholds at 9–18 kHz were measured every 2–3 years. As expected, hearing loss was larger in males than in females for frequencies between 2 and 12 kHz, but not ≤1 kHz and >12 kHz. Langers et al. (2012) and Melcher et al. (2013) corroborated this in tinnitus patients with “clinically normal” hearing, that is, with thresholds ≤20 dB HL for frequencies ≤8 kHz, and matched with a nontinnitus control group. Both studies found that the hearing loss increased sharply up to 16 kHz.
A life-span audiometric study that also covered the extended high-frequency range was carried out by Jilek et al. (2014). A sample of 411 otologically normal men and women 16–70 years of age was assessed for both ears using a high-frequency audiometer (Fig. 2.3). The study showed that considerable high-frequency (>10 kHz) hearing loss already starts in the 30–39-year age group and increases considerably in the next decade for both females and males.

Figure 2.3. Average pure-tone audiograms in dB HL in (A) men and (B) women grouped by their age in decades (the parameter is age group in years). The extended high-frequency range is zoomed for clarity.
Source: Reprinted from Jilek, M., Suta, D., Syka, J., 2014. Reference hearing thresholds in an extended frequency range as a function of age. J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 136 (4), 1821–1830, with permission from the acoustical Society of America.

Source : https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/medicine-and-dentistry/high-frequency-hearing-loss

View attachment 95607
This is a good piece of work. This is about threshold level. And that is good for science based studies about frequency dependent hearing loss. However, for practical music listening, the relative loss of frequency perception at listening volumes like 70-80 dB is more interesting. It is not clear to me, if, for example, 5 dB hearing loss at 4kHz at threshold value ( meaning 20-30 dB) translates into the same 5 dB at 75 dB. Does the book that you show say anything about that? I guess one would need age specific Fletcher-Henderson curves to handle that problem.

Habu

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My wife has hearing aids but doesn't wear them, apparently this is very common the doctor told her more than half the people who have them don't use them.
My hearing has deteriorated with age, I am very lucky since I had a 35 year career in motor racing standing next to unsilenced cars in pit lanes around the world, starting before there was any ear protection, but it hasn't gone much.
On the basis that the deterioration has been so slow I didn't notice it happening and that I listen to live music and conversation with the same ears as I use with my hifi I leave anything normal.
If I go deaf, like my professional musician wife - there is no justice, I will buy the best quality hearing aids I can find.
Same here. I didn't really notice any problems listening to music (both live and recorded) until I dropped into an acoustically shop to buy a hearing aid for my mother in law and made a test offered for free. OTOH I suffered understanding speech in loud noisy environments since many years.

Top Bottom