• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

At what level is noise heard in your system?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Trains can really muck up low frequency levels from miles away.

And thunderstorms!

We had an absolute ball-tearing storm at 6pm last night, massive trees torn out all around us, powerlines down and no power for 18 hours. 20,000 people without power still. The low frequency energy in the thunder moves our entire house (it's a pole home). Amazing lying in bed getting thunder frequencies you can't really identify how low they are but they almost hurt and every pane and panel rattles.

Apparently, more storms tonight too.

At least I have the generator out to power the fridge full of Christmas fare, people around us were throwing out the contents of their fridges as they clearly were too dumb to stop opening the door while the power was off. I didn't touch ours and the internal temps were still -5 degrees C and 7 degrees C after 18 hours with no power. Not bad. Lost nothing.

Wombat

Master Contributor
And thunderstorms!

We had an absolute ball-tearing storm at 6pm last night, massive trees torn out all around us, powerlines down and no power for 18 hours. 20,000 people without power still. The low frequency energy in the thunder moves our entire house (it's a pole home). Amazing lying in bed getting thunder frequencies you can't really identify how low they are but they almost hurt and every pane and panel rattles.

At least I have the generator out to power the fridge full of Christmas fare, people around us were throwing out the contents of their fridges as they clearly were too dumb to stop opening the door while the power was off. I didn't touch ours and the internal temps were still -5 degrees C and 7 degrees C after 18 hours with no power. Not bad. Lost nothing.

Unusual weather over most of Australia at present.

Last edited:
OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
And thunderstorms!

Trust me I know about thunderstorms. Where I live we have them about every other day in the summer months.

Hope you get power back soon.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
My 2am noise floor with a UMIK-1, and two or three fans running quietly.

[...]

My 3pm noise floor. Nearly the same, just more distant low frequency noise - probably trucks and cars on the Interstate, 2.75 miles away, and local business traffic about 1.75 miles at its center.

[...]

With a -79dBfs 1kHz tone when the output volume of the speakers is "calibrated" to 66dB SPL at -30dBfs at the listening/microphone position

REW_bedroom-noise_at_night_.pngREW_bedroom-noise_at_night_dB_C-weighted.png
If A-weighted, then about 2dB more, so...around 20-21dB. I don't really trust my mic, but till I'll get a calibrated one I'll take this for granted. After all, in my bedroom is so so quiet that I need to stop breathing when doing such test. Also, I need to unplug my TV because I can actually hear the 16KHz noise of the SMPS coils...I can also see it in the REW graphs.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I envy you guys with the dedicated rooms. My open architecture room that includes the kitchen with refrig and a skylight for the rain to beat on is quite often horrid. :mad:

Last edited:

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
It's extremely quiet in my house, 3-glass windows, 30cm glass-wool in the attic. The only thing that could disturb my silence would be couple of stray dogs or the airplanes (usually after 5 AM).

This silence helped me a lot in identifying the exact place where the wood-worms were located above my head, in the attic (around 4-5 AM), couple of years ago. :)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
This silence helped me a lot in identifying the exact place where the wood-worms were located above my head, in the attic (around 4-5 AM), couple of years ago.
Sure that isn't a group of ear mites you hear munching? :eek:

Reactions: trl

Wombat

Master Contributor
Some might have said their DAC has a sound like munching termites and get upset when asked to verify the opinion.

Reactions: trl

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Some might have said their DAC has a sound like munching termites and get upset when asked to verify the opinion.
I believe Amir has positively identified those irregular noises as nervous jitter. :p

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Sure that isn't a group of ear mites you hear munching? :eek:
I know it's so off-topic, but the biggest worm/larvae had 8 cm (about 3 inches) and I was able to use my ears and hear how these worms were actually eating the wood from the attic. Extremely complicated job to resolve it...about 2 years and only poison won't help here, just two hands and knife. :(

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I know it's so off-topic, but the biggest worm/larvae had 8 cm (about 3 inches) and I was able to use my ears and hear how these worms were actually eating the wood from the attic. Extremely complicated job to resolve it...about 2 years and only poison won't help here, just two hands and knife. :(
DAMN! Hand to hand combat with worms???

Wombat

Master Contributor

The big one was the queen. If you kill it they quickly make another one.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The big one was the queen. If you kill it they quickly make another one.
So these are more of those crazy "down under" critters? Had to google lasi RO, thought at first we were talking about Rhode Island USA?
I think ya'll even got Crocodiles to go with our Florida Alligators. o_O

Wombat

Master Contributor
So these are more of those crazy "down under" critters? Had to google lasi RO, thought at first we were talking about Rhode Island USA?
I think ya'll even got Crocodiles to go with our Florida Alligators. o_O

Don't you have termites or white-ants?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Don't you have termites or white-ants?
For sure, but not snake sized worms that have to be manually eradicated via hand to hand bayonet combat. o_O

Wombat

Master Contributor
You might be thinking of these:

Giant worms.

Unlikely to bother you unless you are on a mostly red meat diet. ;)

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods

Wombat

Master Contributor
Off-topic tends to occur for fun or when an original topic runs out of steam. Getting back on topic only requires a good relevant post. IMNSHO. ;)

Wombat

Master Contributor
Well, with LPs I can hear the grain in the thermo-set vinyl compound/substrate being reproduced. Most obvious in the run-in and run-out grooves.

Let the fireworks begin.

Top Bottom