• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Asking for donations for my test/review website (using Klippel products)

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
"Virtual Demo": Speakers will be set up in my room and I will play a sample of music through them while recording the sound via a binaural microphone setup at the seated position. All tests will target the same average SPL at a listening distance of 6 to 8 feet. This "demo" is intended to give listeners an idea of the sound characteristics of a speaker. It will absolutely not substitute someone demoing the speakers in their own room but it should give them an idea of the characteristics such as directivity, tonality, etc.
You could use a 360° Ambisonics microphone array to record the speakers in the room, which would then allow a listener to see the speakers in VR and turn their head in any direction to gain a sense of directivity.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you plan to provide FRD and ZMA files for the drivers you test?

Not sure about up front investment but would be willing to pay a subscription for a service that provides them. This would be a competitive differentiator but it is risky in that it may not be sustainable. I can get Klippel results elsewhere. If your effort is to be successful, a concise benefits statement is key. :)

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Do you plan to provide FRD and ZMA files for the drivers you test?

Not sure about up front investment but would be willing to pay a subscription for a service that provides them. This would be a competitive differentiator but it is risky in that it may not be sustainable. I can get Klippel results elsewhere. If your effort is to be successful, a concise benefits statement is key. :)

Yes. I plan to provide the raw data.

Keep in mind:
I’m not looking to compete with anyone. And I’m not for hire. I simply ask for donations so that I can continue providing the community data. This stuff doesn’t pay dividends. I am 37. I have a full time job and a family. I do this stuff in my spare time because it’s a true passion and I’m curious myself about performance. I share the data with those who share the interest and hope it’s appreciated. But the truth is, the hardware costs money. DUTs cost money. Just being able to have $50 in my paypal account to help offset shipping is a big help. Those are the reasons I ask for donations and help with the costs.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
You could use a 360° Ambisonics microphone array to record the speakers in the room, which would then allow a listener to see the speakers in VR and turn their head in any direction to gain a sense of directivity.

The mic I’m using actually has ambio as an option. I’d planned to use its binaural processing. Though, I’ll look in to your suggestion. Thanks. :)

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
My Earthworks M23 mic arrived yesterday morning. I've owned many mics over the years but the build quality of this one is definitely superior. I decided to go with this due to it's superbly flat organic response (even without mic cal file) compared to other electet mics as well as its wide operating range of temperature and humidity.

Thanks to all who helped donate a little bit to the cause. Without you I wouldn't have been able to purchase the mic. I truly appreciate the help and support.

https://earthworksaudio.com/products/microphones/measurement-series/m23/

DSC05693.png
DSC05694.png
DSC05696.png
DSC05698.png

Vince2

To recommend a real replacement drive unit in a passive speaker I would have to have at the very least the T/S parameters for the old one and with that being a custom driver someone would either have to measure and tell me or provide me the drivers to measure myself.
Anything else? I still have a good driver and can take those measurements.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Just wanted to give a final update on this thread and then I'm gonna stop bumping it because ...

THE KLIPPEL STUFF HAS ARRIVED!

klippel.jpg

I'll ask the mods to close the thread but just wanted to share the news and, mostly, say Thanks again for everyone's help!

Also, be on the look out for an 'unboxing' video soon which I'll link in my other thread here.

- Erin

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom