• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Asking for donations for my test/review website (using Klippel products)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Thanks to ya'lls help, I finally got enough scratch to order a DIY CNC kit and necessary parts for making baffle inserts for drive unit testing as well as miscellaneous other parts I'll need to build for loudspeaker testing. This will help immensely with getting the drivers properly flush-mounted and save me some time as well. So that’s one item checked off the list. Plan to order the high SPL mic Monday.

I'll update with pics once I get the stuff in.

Thanks again, everyone. I really appreciate it. You guys rock!

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Forgive me to be saying but Erin I just don't get it, zero.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
You're asking for donations here, plus your avatar is highly controversial, and your site looks Mickey mouse.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
I don't mind @ all your speaker's reviews here to share with us all.

Say your website is open to the public, has a forum section.
I come in and ask donations for my own website ...

Plus Michael Jackson I saw enough in the last number of years to have a clear view.
He's one of the last persons I would use for anything; and it's best to not discuss it in your thread. But I had to be honest because he is in your avatar...that's all and enough for me to have mentioned. I simply don't encourage this type of behavior from anyone. I don't care if he is the pope or the president or the king of pop.

No disrespect to you Erin, I'm just telling it like it is.

maty

Major Contributor
I usually bring a bottle of good Caribbean rum to the houses where they invite me to know their audio equipment. Given the great distance that separates us I have considered it opportune to pay you a tithe to sustain the new Erin's Church. :)

PS: You already know that I am very grateful for the article on the KEF Q100 5.25" Uni-Q coaxial driver, thanks to which I bought it almost seven years ago.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Okay, then. Just put me on ignore and don't read any of my future speaker reviews, I guess.

PS: I like Mickey Mouse. So thanks! :)

Leonardo-DiCaprio-Shrug.gif
Maybe you can use Mickey like Amirm uses his pink panthers.

Could you behead Mickey though? I mean you have a MJ avatar so I'm thinking you could ha ha

Bachemar

Forum Donor
I don't mind @ all your speaker's reviews here to share with us all.

Say your website is open to the public, has a forum section.
I come in and ask donations for my own website ...

Plus Michael Jackson I saw enough in the last number of years to have a clear view.
He's one of the last persons I would use for anything; and it's best to not discuss it in your thread. But I had to be honest because he is in your avatar...that's all and enough for me to have mentioned. I simply don't encourage this type of behavior from anyone. I don't care if he is the pope or the president or the king of pop.

No disrespect to you Erin, I'm just telling it like it is.

He says he ran this by the owners of “this” website before posting, so not sure why any one else would get their panties in a bunch.

Freedom of speech implies freedom to choose one’s avatar. You may not like it, and that’s OK. That’s the point of freedom. We are not restricted to only doing things that are 100% certified by every one of the other 5 billion people on the planet

Last edited:
OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Well, TBH, I didn't think anything of the MJ avatar until you asked. And you acted like you didn't think anything of it. It's MJ; I'm a fan. And it's at a spot in Disney World which I hold fond in my heart. So I didn't think anything of it after that. But now it bothers you.

I talked with Amir and Thomas before posting this thread. Thomas posted above. They don't have an issue with it. I'm asking donations to help fund things that I will wind up posting here. There is zero competition between what I'm doing and what Amir is doing. In fact, I hope that we are able to work together on future reviews (one member here has already volunteered a set of speakers he sent to Amir to me for further analysis). And I stated that I'm not whining about it. Just asking for those who see merit to donate. Lots have. Lots haven't. You don't. So don't donate. Pretty simple. I'm not going to get upset when other people have better things to do with their money.

Like I said previously, if you don't like me or what I represent that's fine. There's an ignore button so you won't have to see any future posts from me. But if we are being honest, like you say, then everything you're doing here just comes off like a personal attack, especially with the "mickey mouse website" comment you just had to throw in. I don't know you. You don't know me. Nothing you've contributed in this thread has been the least bit positive or helpful. Unfortunately, that's the way of the internet these days... say what you want anonymously without repercussion. Typically that's called "trolling". So I'm gonna move on from this whole distraction.

Again, if you don't like me, just put me on ignore and your problem is solved. No need to continue expressing your views on me and my site; we've got the point that you don't like me. I'll live. But I won't spend any more of my time needlessly defending myself here. As Mickey Mouse would say... "toodles".

Edit: This whole ordeal made me think of this scene. :D

Last edited:

Bachemar

Forum Donor
Erin - Donated via Pypal.

Amir has started a revolution to challenge the industry with science and measurements instead of snake oil and flowery poetry in reviews. We are all here because we respect that notion.

For a revolution to be successful, “more” people have to follow along, in turn inspiring others to join in. A one man show can only go so far.

People who see this as competition are small minded and short sighted. “More Data” is good.

To that end, I’ve done my bit to support you - and by extension the revolution that Amir has started.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Erin - Donated via Pypal.

Amir has started a revolution to challenge the industry with science and measurements instead of snake oil and flowery poetry in reviews. We are all here because we respect that notion.

For a revolution to be successful, “more” people have to follow along, in turn inspiring others to join in. A one man show can only go so far.

People who see this as competition are small minded and short sighted. “More Data” is good.

To that end, I’ve done my bit to support you - and by extension the revolution that Amir has started.

Thank you very much.

Yes, when I started my own site around 2011 there was a lot of support from the car audio community because there was no 3rd party investment. It wasn't until recently that I realized just how similar the home audio market was in regards to the lack of data. There were a few trustworthy manufacturers but unfortunately many were/are not providing the basic data that is useful not necessarily to help us choose which is "best", and not necessarily to identify the over-priced items, either. Those are certainly key points to be gleaned from objective data. But also: which item is "best for our situation". That's the one facet of audio component selection we often overlook when we evaluate performance. I can point to various items I've tested over the years that perform excellently but if the use-case is in a more limited capacity then there may be better options with a lower cost.

It's been on my mind for some time to start testing loudspeakers and branch out in to a different format so I reached out to Klippel again. I saw the overwhelming support here for what's going on and thought "hey, maybe these guys would be willing to help me, too" and thus, I contacted Thomas and Amir to get the all clear which they provided. More data is my goal. Different data is what I can provide. There may be some overlap in our efforts. But I think what we each bring is what few (if any, in some cases) are providing via other sites.

I look forward to getting started soon. It just takes an initial investment of not just money but also time. The time I'll spend building the various things I need in order to conduct the various tests I will conduct. But certainly contributions from those like yourself who see merit in what I'm doing is especially appreciated and goes a long way toward helping ease my burden and helps un-complicate things; for example, the money donated thus far that was spent on the DIY CNC yesterday will save me countless hours of cutting baffles for driver testing and will be a huge help when/if I decide to start publishing DIY loudspeaker designs. So, again, thank you and thanks to everyone else for the support!

Last edited:
OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Baffle wall construction for drive unit testing has begun. In lieu of using a portable test rig like before, I decided to do something different. I made a 14.5”x13” cutout between my garage partition. Like others do, I’ll use swappable inserts for each new driver tested. Driver hole cut out on insert, attach insert to wall, test, remove insert. Done. And when not in use a painted blank will be placed back over the wall so I don’t have to have a window between sides. :D

The wall itself is about 17ft x 10ft. The center of the DUTs (devices under test) will be placed about 5 ft off the floor and about midway on the wall. With the garage door down, this puts the first path length of reflection at about 5 ft. Which is good enough to keep the first bull above about 225hz. For testing this is actually quite good. Most people’s test setups are closer to 3 ft; 330hz. The higher the number the better. And thanks to the very large baffle there will be no diffraction effects to remedy once I’ve merged nearfield and farfield responses.

Blah, blah, blah... what this all means is I’ll have highly repeatable and accurate testing on as good a setup a dude testing drive units at his house could hope for.

PS: If you don’t hear from me again after this post, tell the cops my wife is responsible.

0FE3750D-6344-4719-AB73-0FD47960D92F.jpeg

79FC0A38-01D8-4362-AE3F-50A8FEB0BC0D.jpeg

834EAA3E-4D69-4ABF-9C12-80DC0427250F.jpeg

33798155-39B7-4D97-97EC-5184718E0BBD.jpeg

8D286545-E64D-4079-82AF-3BA373D1B2A3.jpeg

D94635BF-4098-4E03-A525-4A143A88C35D.jpeg

6718D49E-7D40-42C9-B06B-A5C44E545EE6.jpeg

Vince2

I was just wondering about a meaningful service you could offer. Could you recommend a replacement mid range driver that is no longer in production ( Scanspeak 13M-8521 ) . It was custom made for a 30 year old 3 way loudspeaker (Thiel CS 3.5)

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I was just wondering about a meaningful service you could offer. Could you recommend a replacement mid range driver that is no longer in production ( Scanspeak 13M-8521 ) . It was custom made for a 30 year old 3 way loudspeaker (Thiel CS 3.5)

To recommend a real replacement drive unit in a passive speaker I would have to have at the very least the T/S parameters for the old one and with that being a custom driver someone would either have to measure and tell me or provide me the drivers to measure myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom