• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are you using a subwoofer/subwoofers?

Are you using a subwoofer in your system?

• Total voters

jcarys

I only added a sub to my system in 2006 for home theater use. Previous to that I always been satisfied with the bass response of PSB Gold towers. That sub lasted for about 10 years. When it died I did a substantial upgrade to a Power Sound S1500. It was basically the same price and dimension as what I had before, but goes much deeper and louder. It can shake the walls of my 100 year old house if that's really needed.

DanielT

Major Contributor
definitely. 2 sealed jbl 12".
works beautifully.
Aha :)

Me too. Soon. Got hold of two, actually car subwoffer drivers but sealed box 50 liters with EQ so maybe for home hifi. Decent x-max in any case. Im going to test with some casting tubes in cardboard. Extremely inexpensive DIY project. How it will sound really matters less. A little fun to do in the autumn darkness only.:)

Will see if there is a little push with them together with a t.amp E-800. It will be interesting to see if I can push them, maximize them to the bottom. Preferably with a little amp headroom left.:p

Seemingly ported, nop is not suitable for home Hifi though red curve sealed. Maybe it could be something.:)

Edit:
My friend has DIY a sub with tubes, visible on attached pic. Double 10 ", push-pull isobaric if I remember correctly. Sounds pretty good I must say.

More of his stuff and assorted bass boxes pictures here:

Attachments

• 20211124_210313228.jpeg
    20211124_210313228.jpeg
    142 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_20211124_210036.jpg
    IMG_20211124_210036.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_20211124_211419.jpg
    IMG_20211124_211419.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 105
  • JBL-GT512.jpg
    JBL-GT512.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_4268 (4).jpg
    IMG_4268 (4).jpg
    149 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I have two setups, one is mixed movies / music, the second is music only. I have dual subs in both setups, and wouldn't have it any other way.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Exciting.:)

We would have been disappointed if you had had less. :)

I'm curious.What is the design principle? What kind of drivers do you use, if I may ask?

This is probably the wrong thread for that. But we have development threads for both our subwoofers here on ASR, I'd be happy to discuss in any of those. (link in my signature)

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
DonH56 made a very clear rationale and I completely agree with him.
I was using subwoofer only for HC as I was naively thinking that my hifi setup large tower loudspeakers were going down enough and the range 20-40hz not that much present in music.

Then I started to play with rew.
It confirmed of course room modes but also that my tower speakers did not that great in the extreme low end (frequency response dropping quickly).

A year ago, I decided to get a minidsp with dirac live (originally for trying to deal with nasty room modes) and also at some point integrated the sub in my hifi setup.

I did the integration (only one closed sub currently - planning to get 2nd one for more homogeneous response across the room), found the best XO settings for my setup and applied dirac filtering.

And everything that DonH56 mentioned became so obvious: Less pressure on the loudspeakers woofers, better frequency response, exit boominess, solid frequency response from 20hz, very nice low tight bass that you feel more than you hear, more substance in the low end.
I really started to enjoy organ music!

Or course, Dirac plays a obvious role in the result, but the sub delivers this substance, real nice, clean, subtle, tight low end that is missing without it (at least with my loudspeakers despite their 2x8" woofers each).

I would not get back without sub !!

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes, Three.
I am a firm believer that 99% of all systems if set up and calibrated properly would benefit from the use of a subwoofer/subwoofers.
Most of the reason have already been laid out by the others posting. I use 3 for my two-channel music set-up because it greatly reduces if not completely eliminates any room nulls. One 18'' at the center front wall and then one 10'' in each front corner. I did this after listening to a system set-up this way in the past, it was one of the best i ever heard. It has worked out well for me. Everything is just so clean and tight; with all the slam you could ask for. Works great for imaging no matter where you are in the room. YMMV

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was surfing another website and came upon this. I think this person likes subwoofers:

bubD8Ku.jpg

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have two systems with subs:
  • 1 Genelec 7060b sub with a pair of K&H O300D in the main system (50 sqm room, listending distance 3,8 m):
    it delivers both more deep bass (the 8" woofer of the O300D goes flat down to 40 Hz but bottoms out early when driven to hard) and cleaner mids (despite being a 3-way speaker with a midrange dome).
  • 1 Kef PSW2000 series sub under my desk with a pair of Genelec 8020a as desktop speakers (small room, listening distance about one arm length): the Kef cannot deliver deep bass but certainly has more uumph than the small 4" woofer of the Genelec (flat down to 66 Hz).

izeek

Aha :)

Me too. Soon. Got hold of two, actually car subwoffer drivers but sealed box 50 liters with EQ so maybe for home hifi. Decent x-max in any case. Im going to test with some casting tubes in cardboard. Extremely inexpensive DIY project. How it will sound really matters less. A little fun to do in the autumn darkness only.:)

Will see if there is a little push with them together with a t.amp E-800. It will be interesting to see if I can push them, maximize them to the bottom. Preferably with a little amp headroom left.:p

Seemingly ported, nop is not suitable for home Hifi though red curve sealed. Maybe it could be something.:)

Edit:
My friend has DIY a sub with tubes, visible on attached pic. Double 10 ", push-pull isobaric if I remember correctly. Sounds pretty good I must say.

More of his stuff and assorted bass boxes pictures here:

daaang, your boy is good!

AudioSQ

Yes, quite a few of them. Mainly to get the response flat. Most of them were rather cheap. I like to think due to the number that I get less distortion since they and the amp don't have to work hard, but maybe that's what I just tell myself to feel better.

My mains are very capable of solid bass, but due to room issues I don't run them alone. Their bass is bananas at 40hz & 80hz but lacking a bit around 55hz in my room.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can't imagine not now that I've been introduced to the possibilities they bring. I prefer multisub setups generally, have several (and more than 3 in the main one). Never really had actual capable full range speakers that would compete on the other hand....but would love to play with room full of those (including surrounds), some toys from JTR/RTJ or Legacy or Seaton or RBH or JBL come to mind.....

Last edited:

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
2 JBL subs in the listening room w Technics c700

2 Infinity subs in the TV room with Infinity R263

1 JBL sub in the bedroom with JBL 530.

All high passed and Anthem room correction applied.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I did not vote in the poll...

I do not use a subwoofer in my stereo system. I have a pair of Reaction Audio Echo 15 subs in my home theater system.

Martin

DanielT

Major Contributor
I was surfing another website and came upon this. I think this person likes subwoofers:

bubD8Ku.jpg
He he, it's about loving bass. Here is a picture from Sweden's craziest DIY. The evil DIY genius Professor DIY Moriarty.:)

I'm kidding, of course. Solhaga is sensible. DIY genius, though, he is. That he likes bass, and a lot of effect, there is no question. His comment about the rig he showed at the DIY Vintage fair: I miss a little bass. It's better at that point at home. Hell how good it sounded. Systems where the amplifiers are not driven into clipping, which does not show distortion (amplifier / speakers). Where you can turn on a lot of volume without getting "pain" in the ears. After that when you (I come) come home you realize what your own system is capable (not capable) of. Of course, I could not pull on as high a volume without it starting to distort, that the amplifier was driven in clipping.Okay it was not that difficult because I tested with my second system with amplifier of 2x30 W, speakers 89 dB, 2.83 V / 1M, ie a fart in space compared to Solhaga's rig.

I am posting a video that Solhaga / Claes himself recorded. Provides only an indication of what that system is capable of. Should of course be heard IRL. But ok that video is always something.

By the way, anyone who wonders what it sounds like when an amplifier sounds when it start to clipp, test that video and really pull it on and listen with your mobile or tablet. When it starts to crack, hell how bad it sounds when an amplifier starts clipping.

IMG_4332 (3).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20211106_140002 (1) (3).jpg
    IMG_20211106_140002 (1) (3).jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20211106_140009 (1) (2).jpg
    IMG_20211106_140009 (1) (2).jpg
    394.6 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Sweden got nothing on Norway. ;) Here's just a sample, there are several other DIYers with as wild or even wilder setups.

(8 24" woofers)

(32 10" woofers)

DanielT

Major Contributor
Sweden got nothing on Norway. ;) Here's just a sample, there are several other DIYers with as wild or even wilder setups.

(8 24" woofers)

(32 10" woofers)
Ha ha, now it's starting to look like something. He he. :p:cool:
Talk about loving bass and not living in an apartment. Damn what the neighbors had become insane then.

I'll see if I can find pictures of an equally large bass fool in Sweden who filled the entire listening room with 18 "bass modules.

Subwoffer, bass modules. Hm this is the question:
(apart from neighbors, WAF, the wallet, perhaps even the bill to the ear doctor)

Last edited:

alex-z

Using a single subwoofer, room is small so doubt i'll need another for now!

Small rooms actually create a greater need for multiple subwoofers, because you have more room mode interference. If you place 1 modest subwoofer in each corner it should noticeably improve the sound quality.

That is my approach, having sealed 12" subs in each corner, with the rears low-passed at 40Hz. Gives a lower -3dB point, less distortion, and virtually eliminates my length and width axial room modes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom