• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are you a gamer/gamer's dad? - Share your favorite video games...

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is Half Life a violent game? Portal is quite benign except for those laser shooting sentries?
Half Life and it's improved revised graphics version called Half Life Source is about aliens that come to earth and they are siphoning off energy into a citadel they built that propagates the energy into orbit to some imaginary place. The aliens are abusive and they are killing people. There are people that are helping the aliens and they are the bad guys too. It not as bad as it sounds and the gore level is very tame if not lame compared to today's brutal gore standards. The voice acting and storyline is pretty general too. Half Life is the first version and then there is Half Life 2, Half-Life 2: Episode One and Sven Coop is used for multiple players to combine forces and play together in COOP mode. I use Steam Network for my Half Life games. Half Life is also available for Linux. The system requirements for Half Life or Half Life 2 are veryyy low compared to what people use for PCs today so you don't need a expensive PC. I can play Half Life on my Intel i5-8600K onboard graphics and don't even require a video card but a video card is nice to have.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Might be a bit too much for a 7 year old. (It’s not too gory but at the end it’s a shooter, with zombies and headcrabs. :) )
Yeah they where saying that I'm that guy that's like the bad uncle because I guided him though Half Life. :facepalm: You should have seen his eyes light up when he saw the eye candy in Far Cry. Kids learn sooper fast. He was executing simple command line stuff and changing settings and whatever within hours. Great memory for stuff even though he could not read he somehow memorized stuff in moments.

OP
Raindog123

Raindog123

Major Contributor
We are about done with this game? Test Chamber 19 now - is the cake really a lie?

Well, I can’t spoil it for you, can I? (All I can say is that my daughter requested one for her birthday a few years back… :p )

Have you tried Portal 2? It’s a delight of its own!

spacevector

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Well, I can’t spoil it for you, can I? (All I can say is that my daughter requested one for her birthday a few years back… :p )

Have you tried Portal 2? It’s a delight of its own!
No Portal 2 yet. I wonder if it has been ported to Android yet? We play on our nVIDIA Shield TV Pro using their gaming controller.

OP
Raindog123

Raindog123

Major Contributor
Do you know other good games I can buy for Shield? Quite interested in racing games if I can find them.

Sorry, we do not have a Shield, so I do not know. Looked at the specs upon nVidia’s announcement but never actually bought one.

Well, now as Steam Deck is coming it might be a viable alternative to a gaming PC. :)

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I could be blamed for having child-developmental problems...
Snag_5cef0bb0.png

...simply because I was never able to graduate from PacMan and play it to this day!
It is the most perfect game for retards like me because it only requires 4 arrow keys to play. Having to replace the broken arrow keys (and OFTEN) is the only cost of playing this game.
Some clever SW Engineer (Neave) had written this version in *.swf (shockwave file) format that was ONLY 59KB and back in dial-up modem days it could be played online.
Namco served him a cease and desist order to take it down. I was able to fetch it and turn it into and *.exe that has played fully in every stepping of WindowsOS.
Inquire within for a copy.

cookiefactory

Forum Donor
The last amazing game I played was Hades (on Switch). I've since acquired a bunch of other games but none have grabbed me in the same way. I just got an Oculus Quest 2 and am hoping Half-Life: Alyx rekindles some gaming magic.

mugbot

Forum Donor
I'm a pretty die hard fan of any of the 'Souls' style games (eg. Dark Souls, Demon's Souls, Bloodborne, Sekiro). Very much looking forward to Elden Ring.

Also a big metroidvania nut - working my way through Metroid Dread on the switch right now.

For shorter gaming sessions I also love Dead Cells, Noita and Slay the Spire.

Rayman30

Forum Donor
I spent about 5 years totally addicted to MSFS2004ACOF. Just endlessly downloading new scenery and planes and add-on utilities. What a bottomless pit that sim was! Flying around different locations is quite a "zen" experience. I'd love to get into the new version but I don't think I have what it takes anymore, lol...

The game has so many assistants now, I get frustrated with the game's built in Flight Planning, its terrible, and I have yet to figure out how to manage VNAV profiles, so I am stuck using FLC or Vertical Speed Mode for my ascends and descents. Not much has changed, if anything its a lot easier, but the graphics and physics are insane!

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
I'm currently addicted to Tetris Attack on the SNES. (well, on the Fire HD8 but originally on the SNES)

I find it ridiculously pleasing that I can carry the entire library of 8 and 16 bit console games as well as the Neo Geo and a ton of great arcade games around with me on the Fire tablet wherever I go. For a 55 year old gamer who grew up during that era where there was a lot of limitations on gaming (being tethered by power cords and huge crt screen weight for instance and of course for most of us being limited to whichever of a given gens systems you had access to) it's a sort of nirvana really. It's like my teenage self's ultimate video game dreams come true lol...

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow!
Being a corporate-weenie multi-disciplinary 'program/project/hardware design engineer' for 40+ years, I was blessed to only cross-wits w/HR just a few times (won all).
The old adage was that "HR is for keeping flim-flam out but not to keep talent in!"
Things and HR sure look like they have changed in the last 10 yrs.
I never had the time or the luxury to compare my performance, status, salary (etc.) with "co-workers" but I am sure that one bad apple (who takes advantage of the 'system') is all it takes to change such a nice un-structured work environment... STILL!
But the last thing I would EVER want to do is to go on my 'yearly vacation with the same folks that I worked year around with. Price no matter!
IMHO The only healthy-work environment is one that is balanced between the MEANS and the ENDs.

Longshan

My son pointed me at this rather fascinating stuff.

Will have to send it to our HR director tomorrow! :)

All businesses should be worker-run if we value democracy.

Also, I'm not really a video game guy, but years ago a friend had me try "Half-Life" by Steam.

It scared the living crap out of me. Couldn't play it without having my wife in the room.

I'm divorced now, so obviously I no longer play video games, lol.

escape2

I still play Quake II sometimes. I also got hooked on Forge of Empires recently.

Top Bottom