• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are you a gamer/gamer's dad? - Share your favorite video games...

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Best game so far for me is Metro Exodus. I play using Steam.
metro-exodus-swamp.jpg

ss_f7d9823413127514fd0515f6082db3ef55f2cf07.1920x1080.jpg

Boris Badinov

Master Contributor
The Humorist
Favorite game: Company Of Heroes I and II. Been playing these for yrs. now. Checking CoH III in Alpha now

Edit: Forgot to add Half-Life I & II, Tomb Raider, Splinter Cell, and more (all X-box versions)

Last edited:

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I rarely make the time to play games, but I do admire the sheer inventiveness of the Legend of Zelda games, from Nintendo GBA to Switch.

And I was totally blown away the first time I saw the cutscene in WarioWare Inc (GBA) starting at 14:50 of this video, because it felt like an homage to countless postwar samurai flicks, distilled down to the tiny GBA screen.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I dusted off the Wii with my daughter and she loves playing all the Lego starwars and Lego Harry Potter games together. Great games, tons of fun to have with your kids. :)

GDK

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Over the last Christmas break, my 8 year old and I got into the Witness, which I had never heard of before. We loved it, and also got my brothers and their kids hooked on it so that we are all collectively working through it.

Maybe not to everyone’s taste, but it’s the best video game I have ever played. My brothers and I were all into all the Infocom games in the 80s, and this was the closest we had got to those since.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I dusted off an old 486sx Compaq from the bones pile in my storeroom, got the hard drive spinning again (it was siezed), repaired the RTC, aligned a 14" CRT and played (DOS under Win95 for Keen- the other two needed to resart in DOS for the sound cards to work) hours of Wolfenstein 3D, Doom II and Commander Keen 5 with my son. The old SB16 didn't sound too bad either when run through an amplifier and a few speakers.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
CIV (I to V), Edgar Scrolls: Oblivion, Comand and Conquer, Fallout (1, 2 & 3), Larry, Ghost and Goblins, Escape from Monkey Island, Syberia, Wing Commander, Baldors Gate, NFS Porshe Unlisted, Booble Bobble... and many, many more hard to remember it all now.
Been there from Zilog times and games where always a major part of it. Recently finished Mass Effect: Andromeda which whose good especially with Dolby Vision currently playing Witcher III. I hope I never stop until the day I die.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Always been a PC gamer. Also owned Xboxes until the One S. Which is now useless, since all Xbox games are now also on Windows Store. My daughter plays on Switch and PC.
Witcher 3
Still my "best game of all time"... to date.
Favorite game: Company Of Heroes I and II
I found the first one to be great, but was very disappointed by COH 2 at launch. I would say the best game from Relic is Dawn Of War II & Chaos Rising.

Over the last few years, I really enjoyed:

- Red Dead Redemption 1/2
- Total War Warhammer/II (And most Total War anyway)
- XCOM 2
- Mass Effect Trilogy (Andromeda just sucked)
- Anno (1800 is quite cool)
- Detroit Become Human
- Hadès
- Frostpunk (unfortunately, way too short campaign)
- Still waiting to enjoy Cyberpunk 2077, when it will be finished...

Multiplayer:

- War Thunder
- SoulCalibur
- Heroes of Might and Magic (hot seat)

And many more...

anphex

Forum Donor
Currently I am playing way too much Fall Guys. It's so colorful, doofy and wholesome that I honestly believe this game is a contribution to world peace.

KikoKentaurus

One of my favorite recent games - Risk of Rain 2. It's a TPS roguelite, freakin' crazy game. Also, it has wonderful music, by Chris Christodoulou - greek composer. Just check this out -

Last edited:

THW

Forum Donor
Dusk, Doom Eternal, Deep Rock Galactic.

That is all.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
For hardcore multiplayer FPS, Quake Live/Quake 3 CPMA (VQ3 ruleset) is the unequaled standard because of:
* Its extremely balanced and select arsenal (each weapon has a situation where it shines, which don't overlap much), especially in CPMA where the RL and RG damages were exchanged in order to favour predictive instead of hitscan weaponry.
* The very thoughtful level design that exploits the 3D dimension and special Quake movements while balancing very well the positional advantage/risk of powerup areas. The use of very distinctive and far reaching item pickup or terrain (e.g. jumper or water) sounds also helps tying this together.
* The movement speed of these specific variants hits peak balance, where it's not as boring and slow as vanilla while maximizing the importance of positioning; as opposed to CPM where you roleplay as a Trackmania player with guns.
* Like most older Id games, open sourced so you have very good source ports (ioquake3, quake3e, cnq3) that run on everything and with modern technology (e.g. Vulkan). That's also how you get an incredible amount and quality of user content like https://www.lvlworld.com/, https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/ or https://forum.zdoom.org/
* Minimalism is the norm. Weapons are color coded to help fast identification and a lot of people play with flat mipmaps and/or fluorescent green Keel/pm models.
* It's one of the best spectator sports: when you watch someone like Rapha play 1v1 at an important competition, it's like watching a shogi and boxing match all-in-one.
* While not as good as UT on the out-of-the-box availability of different gameplays, we now have some incredibly fun stuff such as FreezeTag (my favourite), Instagib, DeFRag or Rocket Arena.
* Arena FPSes prevents the use of long camping; can't control the map by staying static.
Here's a video that should make people want to know more about it:

Some other very good multiplayer FPS are Quake 4, UT2k4, Enemy Territory, Warsow (basically CPMA in gameplay) and supposedly Shootmania.

For other games, I'll just list some I consider classics that everybody who can appreciate quality should play:
* FPS: Doom 1, 2 and 3 (including the incredible community content, cf Cacowards), Blood, Duke Nukem 3D, Rise of the Triad, Shadow Warriow, Tribes: Ascend, Return to Castle Wolfenstein
* Platformer: Castlevania (in order of "bestness": Symphony of the Night, Aria of Sorrow, Rondo of Blood, Harmony of Dissonance )
* RPG: Golden Sun I & II, Diablo 2/most Disgaeas (caution: very grindy), Final Fantasy (especially the Tactics sub-serie), Etrian Odyssey, Pokémon up to the 3rd gen (2nd is best), Tales of Eternia, Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, most SNES Fire Emblem titles, Breath of Fire (up to IV), SaGa Frontier 2, Star Ocean serie, Suikoden II, Xenogears, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Sakura Wars I & II, System Shock serie
* Others: Dwarf Fortress, (Z)Angband/Nethack/Crawl for roguelikes

Sadly, I don't have a lot of experience in some styles like racing games (I've heard that pro racing sims like rFactor 2 are incredibly fun) or RTS (Warcraft III, Age of Empire 2, Starcraft 2 and Warzone 2100 are supposedly classics).

Last edited:

frogmeat69

Forum Donor
All time favorites of mine were Motor City Online, played that game non stop after work for a few years until EA shut down the servers.
After MCO, I got into Battlefield 1942, loved the HUGE maps and being able to use any of the vehicles, tanks, planes, battleships, etc...
Been a fan of the Battlefield series up to BF4, own the other games after it but can't get into them.

Top Bottom