• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are you a gamer/gamer's dad? - Share your favorite video games...

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
My all time favorite. Bare Knuckle III for the Sega Mega Drive (Sega Genesis in the US). Far superior to the western version (Streets of Rage 3):

Sor3_md_jp_cover.jpg

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I never really enjoyed the first Shinobi much. Too slow for my taste. Shinobi III (again Mega Drive/Genesis), on the other hand, is a badass game.

Darc

I play Minecraft with my 6-year-old daughter. If you have young children, I highly recommend the games:
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
The Pink Panther: Hokus Pokus

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just got the new version of Spacewar, system requirements are pretty steep though, requires a 300 baud modem to play, might have to upgrade the laptop :)

spacewar.jpg

Tks

Major Contributor
If folks here are still looking for something to play with their kids and whatnot, a game that harkens back to Super Nintendo's TMNT: Turtles in Time (a beat'em up game) is Streets of Rage 4.

Up to four people can play at the same time. Super super fun.

And speaking of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, the same developers I believe are collaborating with some developers working on a similar game

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
If folks here are still looking for something to play with their kids and whatnot, a game that harkens back to Super Nintendo's TMNT: Turtles in Time (a beat'em up game) is Streets of Rage 4.

You're breaking my Sega-fanboy heart :(;)

Reactions: Tks

Scot_Douglas

Hi!
n00b here, but videogames are something (at 53) I'm still in love with. I bought my first PS system as soon as I heard about Gran Turismo. I've kept buying and playing GT games (not so much the past two, I gave away my driving setup a few years ago).

All time favorites: (PC/Console)
Doom
Quake
Any Far Cry
All of the Crysis games (killed a computer trying to o/c back in the day)
Fallout 3 / new vegas / 4
All the Borderlands
Dirt 3
Portal

Currently, I'm addicted to Horizon Forbidden West on PS5. Enough so that I upgraded our TV this year to a 4K OLED. :p

D

Deleted member 23424

Some of the games today are simply incredible. The world building and immersion are way beyond anything I thought possible whilst spending days punching in pages of magazine code on a C64 only to find a) I can't copy type and b) the resultant game was beyond awful.

But even so, nothing has left my jaw as on the floor with such a quantum leap in quality, design and construct over its contemporaries as Another World did in 1991 (Amiga/ST).

xSyZFAM.gif

another-world-out-of-this-world.gif

another-world-out-of-this-world-2.gif

another-world-out-of-this-world-1.gif

I mean, we were only a few years past the point where Manic Miner, Horace Goes Skiing and Attic Attack seemed like we were living in the future.

AromaticGreedyChrysomelid-size_restricted.gif

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The last game I 'wrote' (or 'embraced and extended') was a version of 'Purple People Eaters' where all the bricks dropped to the ground like snow after a short, but random, amount of time - much to the annoyance of my classmates (as i'd switched the real version stored on a Winchester disk on the network for my own version)

Acornsoft Purple Purple People Eaters:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This emulator is NOT a FREEware but some old-timers may have an interest:
Amiga Forever v9 "R2"
202204_Amiga4everV9R2.jpg

More than three decades of uninterrupted ease of use, power, beauty and excellence: Amiga Forever 9 closes the circle between gaming, productivity and preservation of digital culture while adding new features and providing access to a universe of free and legal downloads.
The Amiga computer, launched by Commodore in 1985, combined superior multimedia technology with ease of use, inspiring millions of the most creative and enthusiastic computer users ever.

Amiga Forever is the official Amiga emulator, preservation and support suite brought to you by Cloanto, developers of Commodore/Amiga software since the 1980s.
From <https://www.amigaforever.com/>
1649379862400.png

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I wrote a simple version of Battleship for Sega Master System in 2011. Nothing fancy, but my first and only try at writing something resembling a real game in assembly. Whatever few skills I got form the experience have long since withered away though.

battle_013.png

Scot_Douglas

I wrote a simple version of Battleship for Sega Master System in 2011. Nothing fancy, but my first and only try at writing something resembling a real game in assembly. Whatever few skills I got form the experience have long since withered away though.

battle_013.png

I remember buying an assembly language book for my C64 thinking I was going to be a videogame designer. Seems a 14 y/o with ADD wasn't really cut out for teaching themselves how to code...

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've been into videogames since the late 'eighties. Mostly old DOS games that my 386 could run, but later I fondly remember upgrading to a 486DX and later 3DFX acceleration. Have been into PC hardware and building custom PC's ever since.

My first console was the Sega Game Gear, when it was just released. The color screen blew my mind as a kid. :) My friends all had a Nintendo but I prefered Sonic over Mario. Later came the Dreamcast, Playstation 1 & 2, the Xbox 1 (loved modding that one. XBMC was a god-sent back in the day) and the Xbox 360. The Playstation 3 and 4 Pro followed, but never really put me off of PC gaming. Currently using a custom watercooled rig with a modern RTX card.

My favourite games of all time are classic oldschool point 'n click adventures, like the 2D Monkey Island series, Sam & Max, Full Throttle, Day of the Tentacle, Grim Fandango etc. My first point 'n click adventure was Sierra's "Mixed Up Mother Goose", in 1988. I could get lost in its semi-open world for hours. Not that my parents ever let me play longer than 30 minutes, though. :p I played almost all the Sierra classics too; Police Quest, King's Quest, Hero's Quest etc. There's still a very active adventure gaming community, that gathers around the wonderful review site adventuregamers.com I am currently playing the new Syberia game. The return of a classic adventure series!

Later I got into RPGs like Fallout 2 and Planescape Torment. More recent RPGs that I loved are The Witcher series (especially 3), Mass Effect (especially 2 & 3) and Divinity: Original Sin 2. I prefer story-based games in general.

My son plays on his Nintendo Switch (started on a modded Nintendo DS I gave him). His favourite games are Rocket League and Super Mario Odyssey. I sometimes play Rocket League with him, but he's way too good. :p

One of the best games I finished just recently is Disco Elysium's Final Cut on PC, an isometric RPG where your only weapons are your choices. What a wonderful game. I was almost moved to tears by the melancholy in some of the dialogue.

589783_w926.jpg

Last edited:

artburda

In no particular order:
- Mortal Kombat II
- Street Fighter II turbo
- Goblins 1-3
- Falcon (Atari ST)
- Lemmings
- Broken Sword
- Blade Runner
- Max Payne 1/2