• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are SVS subs over-rated?

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That's where I started... BMRs and two good Subs. X-13s on Black Friday sale, $1K, each, shipped.

I've added since starting with BMRs at mains. And I'm working on building some new Subs with SI SQL15s.
Someday I'm gonna figure out a way to grab either bmr's ( if Dennis is still selling them), or sierra 2ex or lx or whatever Dave has going..and then I'm done.. I know *everybody* says that ..lol.. But I'm gonna make it so..

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Someday I'm gonna figure out a way to grab either bmr's ( if Dennis is still selling them), or sierra 2ex or lx or whatever Dave has going..and then i done.. I know *everybody* says that ..lol.. But I'm gonna make it so..
Uh huh :)

Dennis does have BMRs again...but you gotta get in line most likely. Dave's got a few things going. There are others, tho.... :)

DamianW

LOL that would take me almost forever to decode! You guys down under seem to be particularly strapped audio wise. You need to start a good one!

Sorry. We have heaps the budget gear is often quite a lot more expensive than other places in the world.

I should also add based on NAE user name I assumed music rather than home cinema.

tw 2022

Uh huh :)

Dennis does have BMRs again...but you gotta get in line most likely. Dave's got a few things going. There are others, tho.... :)
I'm not sweating it.. If i decide to grab bmr's I'll pre order on a run. I keep up with his stuff & occasionally e mail with him...Dave's stuff is solid too ( i have his entry level books)...

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not sweating it.. If i decide to grab bmr's I'll pre order on a run. I keep up with his stuff & occasionally e mail with him...Dave's stuff is solid too ( i have his entry level books)...
I have a few of Dave's too. But would go for the BMRs next if I was to buy something new....or maybe some Salks.....choices, choices

OP
N

NewbieAudiophileExpert

Group Delay and DSP delay are two entirely different things.

You have a hard situation... Australia is a rough place for good Bass, it seems. ;)

I would have a very difficult time looking at any sub under $1000 as capable of delivering clean and linear Bass output, and that's here in the US. Again, Infrasonic output is an absolute must in my book. :cool:
Mate a solid 12 inch driver costs close to $500 (https://www.wagneronline.com.au/12-...s/audio-speakers-pa/um12-22-72422/1001092/pd/).

I've done the calculations my self and realised that DIY is only worth is if you're going to go 'all out' anyway - build two 15 inch subs with external amps, etc.

I'd paid $500 for a pair of wharfedale Crystal 4.3s (normal RRP for $1100) and these are their most budget speakers and the amount of money it would cost to purchase the materials for these was something stupid like 230-240 per speaker and that's on a good day.

Sorry. We have heaps the budget gear is often quite a lot more expensive than other places in the world.

I should also add based on NAE user name I assumed music rather than home cinema.

Yeah 'budget speakers' down under are like $700 bucks.. and those are book shelves.

The cheapest 'budget' speakers i've ever purchased are a pair of edifier p17s on sale for $65...

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Music or home cinema good speakers/subs are a good thing. Just need to do it right either way for best results. I just seem to see always complaints from down under how limited offerings in particularly subs are for the price....

tw 2022

I have a few of Dave's too. But would go for the BMRs next if I was to buy something new....or maybe some Salks.....choices, choices
I hadn't thought about salks, but that's another great option...

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I hadn't thought about salks, but that's another great option...
Considering that Dennis has pared back his own offerings but still has a hand in Salk....a no brainer I think.

tw 2022

Considering that Dennis has pared back his own offerings but still has a hand in Salk....a no brainer I think.
Yeah, i think he said somewhere that he's built xovers for most of Jim's current line.. He reworked a crossover for Jim on an emergency job for an audio show at the same time he was modding my current speakers..

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, i think he said somewhere that he's built xovers for most of Jim's current line.. He reworked a crossover for Jim on an emergency job for an audio show at the same time he was modding my current speakers..
Yes he's done the xovers for Salk for a while now IIRC. He's also modded xovers for some commercial lines (like the Pioneer and Parts Express/Dayton kits). Can't say I've ever seen negative comments about the results.....which says a lot.

tw 2022

Yes he's done the xovers for Salk for a while now IIRC. He's also modded xovers for some commercial lines (like the Pioneer and Parts Express/Dayton kits). Can't say I've ever seen negative comments about the results.....which says a lot.
The thing about Dennis is : from everybody i talk to , his work is consistent and good , the speakers he modded for me came out very well...it's almost a waste to upgrade, but who wouldn't want bmr's?....

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The thing about Dennis is : from everybody i talk to , his work is consistent and good , the speakers he modded for me came out very well...it's almost a waste to upgrade, but who wouldn't want bmr's?....
Which ones do you have? (too lazy to look back in the thread fwiw)

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I know... that's why I said what I did about Australia. You guys have it hard when it comes to getting gear. No joke. That 12" Ultimax is $240US. But shipping a finished Cabinet is probably making a $1000US Sub cost about double to you as well.
Beyond that, you have to play with what is made available to you by the dealers and importers, which is much more limited.

tw 2022

I know... that's why I said what I did about Australia. You guys have it hard when it comes to getting gear. No joke. That 12" Ultimax is $240US. But shipping a finished Cabinet is probably making a $1000US Sub cost about double to you as well.
Beyond that, you have to play with what is made available to you by the dealers and importers, which is much more limited.
Yes, seems like they get some decent choices, but at a premium price...

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
They say not the greatest value in the world, but I do give them credit for their cylinder subs, great on paper and not taking up too much floor space you can easily hide them behind a TV or something.

Matt0305

I've had subs from Yamaha, Klipsch, REL, and now currently SVS. There is really no comparison. The Yamaha sounded great but lacked output below 30hz. The Klipsch had had adequate output but also fell off quickly below 30 hz. The REL was extremely peaky and distorted ugly when pushed too hard. My SVS PC2000 Pro is flat down to 20hz (ignoring room modes) and never complains at high SPL.

Top Bottom