• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are there benefits of having a big ported sub in a small room over a smaller sealed one?

SlamTaz

the rp 1400sw is now on sale for $699, i just grabbed one for living room duties, since our 10+yr polk psw505 just passed. was initially thinking of the 1200sw for $649 but for $50 more, i think it's worth it.

i also think this will be a nice upgrade and that i can also put it closer to the wall since this the 1400sw is front ported. hopefully im right.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Although quite belated, I just came across with this thread.

If you would like to go down to around 16 Hz to 38 Hz, loud or not so loud gains, in good sound quality (I mean less/minimal distortions), I believe you need to have "your preferred" sampler/reference music track(s) containing "proved/measured" 16 Hz to 38 Hz tones.

In this context, my posts here (especially the final jazz trio track "Yoe"), as well as here and here, would be of your reference and interest, I assume.

Last edited:

Andysu

Major Contributor
yes when jaws bites with john willams at 40Hz felt like an earthquake coming from below me in THX sound system , JBL professional cinema

10246293_10153368071170149_379518153587519657_n.jpg

OP
G
the rp 1400sw is now on sale for $699, i just grabbed one for living room duties, since our 10+yr polk psw505 just passed. was initially thinking of the 1200sw for $649 but for $50 more, i think it's worth it.

i also think this will be a nice upgrade and that i can also put it closer to the wall since this the 1400sw is front ported. hopefully im right.
I got them on sale too. Form everything I have gathered klipsch has a bad reputation from past subwoofers but the new model line got positive feedback from all who reviewed them. here in Germany the svs alternative is the pb1000pro which is much, much worse spec wise costs the same. Besides that there aren’t many options.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The big thing you are going to find with a subwoofer in a real room, as opposed to an anechoic chamber, is that below around 200 hz, there will be HUGE PEAKS in response at certain frequencies caused by the room modes. Those peaks mean that the so called advantage of the ported subs is not nearly as great as it's cracked up to be, especially in a smaller room. I have two SB 2000's which supply absolutely all the bass volume I would ever need to pair with my LS 50 Metas. In point of fact, I have to use DLBC to bring down those peaks that the room nodes cause. In short, I have no problem with getting enough "performance" from the sealed subs, and neither, I suspect will you, even playing movies. If anything you will badly need DSP and/or EQ to flatten everything out.

OP
G
Thanks for your input!
Yes I know the sealed sub would be more than enough, but there is the argument that ported subs provide a stronger tactile response, even at same frequencies due to increased particle velocity. I don’t know if that’s true but I don’t mind the lather footprint and that way I have peace of mind.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am currently debating between getting a svs sb 1000 pro sealed sub or a ported svs 2000 sub. My room is a small 4.5x3meter, i will use it only for gaming at rather low/moderate listening levels because of neighbours. Both subs cost the same here. I do Care about low end extension/rumble, control and a general feeling of ,,might“ behind the sound.

Would there be a benefit in that regard of getting the bigger ported 2000 sub over the smaller sealed 1000pro or wouldn’t it matter anyway since my room is small and I listen at rather moderate levels?

I appreciate any insight!
Oh yes. I haven't read to see if you ordered anything yet, but I have gone through many subs over the years:

Velodyne VX-10
Rythmik F12 x2
Rythmik G22 x2
Rythmik FV15HP x2

After my experiences I am firmly in the camp of always going with vented if you can fit them into your space. Sealed has zero advantages other than its smaller packaging. I bet the return rates are higher, too...or at least, more of them will pop up on the used market as people end up wanting "more".

I currently have the FV15HP pair in a room that measures about 10x12 feet. No issues.

Top Bottom