• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are there benefits of having a big ported sub in a small room over a smaller sealed one?

OP
G
Just output wise (where I don’t need that much power in my room) or rather the impact, especially on the low end?

D

Deleted member 48726

OP
G
Thank you!

I have seen that chart. The PB2000 will probably be around 10db higher spl at 20hz than the sb 2000pro. But would I even notice that difference in a small room at low listening levels?

D

Deleted member 48726

Thank you!

I have seen that chart. The PB2000 will probably be around 10db higher spl at 20hz than the sb 2000pro. But would I even notice that difference in a small room at low listening levels?
Christ man, you asked which has the best performance. That is the PB model.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you!

It depend on how small and how low.

OP
G
Room is 4x3x3m

this is the data for the pb2000

20 hz25 hz31.5 hz40 hz50 hz63 hz

this is for the sb2000 (i cant find data for the pro version, it should probably be slightly better)

listening position is around 1.5 meter

listening level is around 70db i would say

Apart from that what difference would the new architecture of the pro make?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Room is 4x3x3m

this is the data for the pb2000

this is for the sb2000 (i cant find data for the pro version, it should probably be slightly better)

listening position is around 1.5 meter

listening level is around 70db i would say

Apart from that what difference would the new architecture of the pro make?
Based of the info you just provided about you room and distance, the SB2000 will work fine, may even sound better. You can also send the same info to SVS and ask them. I am sure they will also recommend the SB. If you there is a good chance that you may move to a different room and distance in the not-too-distant future, then the PB may be more future proof.

OP
G
Do you think the new architecture on the pro makes a difference?

I just moved in so will be kn that room for a long time.

I get your points, I just really like good low end performance and primarily watch movies and play games, so I am a bit unsure if I would be missing out on something buying the sealed. However if I can’t tell the difference in my room/with my listening habits I would rather take the smaller one.

A guy in avs forums said this:

Hi,

I'm not sure which subwoofer you would like better in your small small room, but I'm going to take a little different position on this. I think that you would notice a definite difference! 70dB doesn't sound very loud, but that equates to an average volume level of -15 on the Relative scale. That's a pretty average listening level for AVS.

But, at an average volume level of 70dB, 5.1 movies can have peak volumes of 90dB in the regular channels, which the subwoofer plays via crossovers. And, the .1 LFE (low-frequency effects) channel, which is only played by the subwoofer, can have peak volume levels of 100dB. That is before you add any subwoofer boost or apply a setting such as Audyssey's DEQ.

The frequencies below about 35Hz is where you will notice the most difference, and that is where a lot of the bass special effects in movies are found. It's your call as to how much low-bass you are likely to enjoy, and as to how much low-bass tactile response (TR) you will want to feel. The ported sub will not only produce more low-bass SPL, it will also produce more low-bass TR, due to the action of the ports in moving air and in creating particle velocity. For a single subwoofer, I believe that the PB-2000 would be a safer bet for someone who likes the low-bass special effects in movies. :)

Regards,
Mike

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you think the new architecture on the pro makes a difference?
I haven't bought anything from them for a few years so you should contact SVS directly on this, they typically responding quickly.
I just moved in so will be kn that room for a long time.

I get your points, I just really like good low end performance and primarily watch movies and play games, so I am a bit unsure if I would be missing out on something buying the sealed. However if I can’t tell the difference in my room/with my listening habits I would rather take the smaller one.
According to SVS:
  • 19-220 Hz +/- 3 dB
  • Expect 2-3 Hz deeper extension in small to mid-size rooms.
I think depending on your room characteristics and whether you use RC/REQ, or take the time to tune it manually, it is reasonable to expect it can reach down to 15 Hz, may be down 3 to 6 dB, hard to say. Most people probably can't really hear below 20 Hz anyway but can feel it.

Willem

Major Contributor
Ported subs usually have a higher output in the 20-40 Hz range, but drop off quite steeply where sealed ones continue to have at least some output. In a small room you will have more room gain, so in the end I would guess the sealed version may give a smoother response with enough output to about 20 Hz and still quite a bit below that. And even in a large room such as my main listening room (70 sq m) a tiny KEF Kube 8b was effectively flat down to 25 Hz.
I think the classic SB1000 and SB2000 are a better deal than the new Pro versions. Of course the filters are nice, but can also be implemented externally, with more flexibility and larger numbers of filters, particularly if your Denon can do the equalization. All this even more so when you move to two or more subs.
Since you are in Europe, you may also consider the KEF Kube series of sealed subs. They are similarly priced to the SVS offerings, tend to be a bit larger and hence have a somewhat flatter response. I happen to think they also look more elegant.

Last edited:
OP
G
Thanks a lot, I will check out the kef!

I will also call svs tomorrow, thanks for the tip.

Wouldn’t the in increased room gain on low frequencies be canceled out by the avr eq? Or is it somehow possible to keep the low end gains only?

Is it true that the ported 2000 sub would have a stronger tactile response? Would I feel more rumble with it?

Willem

Major Contributor
The room gain usually serves to extend the low frequency response. Of course, it is not a precisely planned/designed gain, so it may not be enough for what you need, or too much, but it is mostly very useful. If it is too much the equalization will take care of that. DSpeaker, for example, suggest to put the sub in the corner, and use their dsp room eq to reduce the peaks.

OP
G
Thanks a lot for the replies. I ordered a used Sb2000PRo for 860, immediately got fear of missing out low end power, selled it for 1000 and got, after some research, a klipsch RP 1400SW Ported sub on sale for 1000 (which usually goes for 1300 here). It will arrive tomorow and i couldnt be happier!

Thanks for your time!

Godataloss

Thanks a lot for the replies. I ordered a used Sb2000PRo for 860, immediately got fear of missing out low end power, selled it for 1000 and got, after some research, a klipsch RP 1400SW Ported sub on sale for 1000 (which usually goes for 1300 here). It will arrive tomorow and i couldnt be happier!

Thanks for your time!
Klipsch Subs have a well-deserved reputation for horrific reliability. Perhaps their newer offerings are better, but have yet to face the test of time.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Thanks for your time

I think the SB2000 Pro is a much better sub than the Klipsch, but you must have a good reason, I guess..

OP
G
from everything i have gathered the new models are way better than the old ones from klipsch, also in terms of reliability. the rp 1400 definetely has more output at low
frequencies than the sb2000.

audioholics reviewed the 1600sw and are quite impressed with it. i think perfomance wise the pb2000pro would be equivalent but that one cost 1300 here.

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
from everything i have gathered the new models are way better than the old ones from klipsch, also in terms of reliability. the rp 1400 definetely has more output at low
frequencies than the sb2000.

audioholics reviewed the 1600sw and are quite impressed with it. i think perfomance wise the pb2000pro would be equivalent but that one cost 1300 here.
You seem fixated on output, I thought you understood depending on your room size and distance, the extra output won't do anything for you. I trust Shady, but he seems to be very generous in his reviews. Anyway, I hope you made a great choice.

OP
G
couple of reasons:

A seemingly very knowledgeable helpful person at audioholics explained peaks in movie effects (which I mainly care about along gaming effects) especially on the low end, are Reaching over 100db if your average listening levels is 70db. The sb2000pro might struggle there. He also explained how ported subs tend to provide a stronger tactile response, what is also important to me. I realized I really want to have the peace of mind i get all the performance within my room even if the sub is way bigger.

The RP 1400SW Is design wise a scaled down version of the somewhat more potent but architectural similar RP 1600SW which has comparable specs to the SVS PB 3000 but measures even better at very low frequencies.

this gives me hope that the RP 1400SW which has similar specs to the SVS PB 2000Pro will perform at least at that level. The SVS PB2000PRO however costs 1300 here, whereas I could get the RP 1400 on sale for 1000. which is the same price as the PB1000PRO which should be significant weaker.
The normal pb2000 would have been an option but I like the klipsch better design wise and the pb2000 is a nine year old design.

besides That the more subjective review on the new klipsch line are very positive.

I can also sell the SB2000Pro for roughly 150 bucks more than buying price.

I know there are a lot of assumptions but from everything I have gathered it is very likely that the RP 1400SW performs better than the SB2000PRO for the same price.

Last edited:
Top Bottom