• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are Mogami cables worth it?

ribonucleic

Mogami are good quality, industry standard cables. Obviously they are worth it.
Final Draft is the industry standard screenwriting software and it is not good quality.

Just saying one doesn’t guarantee the other.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I buy Neglex Quad Microphone Cable W2534 by the tenths of meters for the last 10-15 years,it simply works everywhere,RCA,XLR's.small 30 cm measurement cables,long 6 meters mic and measurement and instrument cables,etc.

They never left me down,never had a hum or noise,they look nice and if you get the hung of them are easy to solder and handle.
I never saw them go bad,their copper looks like new even after a decade.

They worth every cent.

earlevel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Assuming reasonable quality, there aren't much differences in cables that rise to the level of audibility. Even going with something like star-quad, yes it has the upside of better noise immunity, and the downside of loss of high frequencies, but unless the run is extremely long, neither comes into play.

What you do get with Mogami is a a cable that's among the tops in quality, but also is really pleasant to route and handle, while being reasonably durable. If rough treatment is a priority, maybe Canare is a slightly better bet, for instance, but when you're buying these brands it's never going to be a mistake. For the premium pre-made cables, of course you're paying a sizable premium for perceived robustness and detail. And if you're making them yourself, you're paying only a pretty slight premium of much lesser cables, but paying with your time (I'm assuming someone at that level has already paid for the soldering station and tools, for that and other reasons). And gaining customization.

Pretty much the same story with the connectors. Sure, you're paying a premium for Neutrik, but it's small per cable and you not only get a connector with good ergonomics, but it's easy to put it on the cable and has excellent strain relief. For those who buy a spool of cable and connectors and make their own, it's really a no-brainer to get something good (Mogami/Canare, Neutrik/Switchcraft), the premium over medicro is just not that much in total dollars, even when it it in percentage.

But the original question...the fancy versions of these cables boils down to convenience, interest, and price tolerance. I don't fault someone who's just paid $5k for some new audio gear, and there are a pair of sturdy and nice looking cables for $150 that the can grab off the rack and hook up when they get home, for overpaying. Well-made cables are comforting, and if you need to pay a little more to feel comfortable, there's no shame in that. Unless it's ludicrous, then you deserve a little shame. :p

Last edited:

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I had a bunch of new cabling I had to do, and some of that included getting rid of some VERY expensive audiophile cables that I'd been loaned (just because I needed some cables, not because I needed expensive cables).

I ended up choosing Audioblast XLRs. Admittedly I found their video test pretty impressive:

And I saw an independent guy test them as well with good results. I had a nest behind my equipment and didn't want to pick up any noise.

But aside from the performance and cheap price, what I really liked is the feel and flexibility. Much more flexible than almost any other cable I've used, which made snaking them around things and the awkward positions I have to achieve to get my hands behind my gear easier.

BobbyTimmons

there are a pair of sturdy and nice looking cables for $150 that the can grab off the rack and hook up when they get home, for overpaying. Well-made cables are comforting, and if you need to pay a little more to feel comfortable, there's no shame in that. Unless it's ludicrous, then you deserve a little shame. :p
Cables have no moving parts. Unlike most consumer products good quality cables potentially last the lifetime of the buyer if they don't need different lengths, can avoid house fires and protect their property from audio thieves. Their cost depends on how long you live if you don't resell them. What would be the cost of $200 Mogami cables if they would last you 60 years? $3 per year.

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
If anyone wants to know about abuse,I even have replaced my ancient's orthodynamic headphone's cable (which failed after 30 years ) with the W2534 and we all know what a headphone cable suffers.
10 years now and it still goes strong,so...

gordinho

Mogami and neutrik are pro tools tested to be abused in the studio and on the road. For a home user that changes things a handful of times a year it is unwarranted. But if you like nice things they will feel nice, sure

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I had a bunch of new cabling I had to do, and some of that included getting rid of some VERY expensive audiophile cables that I'd been loaned (just because I needed some cables, not because I needed expensive cables).

I ended up choosing Audioblast XLRs. Admittedly I found their video test pretty impressive:

And I saw an independent guy test them as well with good results. I had a nest behind my equipment and didn't want to pick up any noise.

But aside from the performance and cheap price, what I really liked is the feel and flexibility. Much more flexible than almost any other cable I've used, which made snaking them around things and the awkward positions I have to achieve to get my hands behind my gear easier.
Yes, I have two sets of Audioblast and they are plenty good. I don't know if the connectors and stuff would hold up as well in a pro setting, but for home use they a pretty good bargain for high quality cable.

Top Bottom