• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are DBTs the defacto standard for Audio Science research?

Phelonious Ponk

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes of course speakers have a bigger impact. But just because 1 thing has a bigger impact, it doesn't mean other things don't. If everyone had the same taste, there would only be one type of everything out there. I designed an input buffer for the Hypex NC-500 amps where you can change the opamp to alter the tonal balance to subjective tastes. So far almost everyone has had a different opinion of which they like best in their system. Yet they all describe the same sonic signatures unique to each opamp exactly the same. This concept is such a big hit that a bunch of guys are copying the idea now.

Sounds like an awfully expensive, complex and ultimately ineffective tone control.

Tim

Mivera

Major Contributor
Sounds like an awfully expensive, complex and ultimately ineffective tone control.

Tim

Yes I know some of those op amps cost a whole $1.30 a piece. It would be a deal breaker for you for sure.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
A cheap op amp in Tim's signal path, how very dare you!
Keith

Phelonious Ponk

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Other than the low cost of the op amps how is this different from any other tone control through component change?

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
Yes I know some of those op amps cost a whole $1.30 a piece. It would be a deal breaker for you for sure.

If it is performance that counts, and if to you subjective preference counts even more, what is wrong, per se, about cheap? Does expensive automatically equal better? If so, we should all totally turn our noses up at the Hypex modules you love so much. They are too damn cheap. Give me those Soulution monoblocks instead.

Mivera

Major Contributor
If it is performance that counts, and if to you subjective preference counts even more, what is wrong, per se, about cheap? Does expensive automatically equal better? If so, we should all totally turn our noses up at the Hypex modules you love so much. They are too damn cheap. Give me those Soulution monoblocks instead.

If it's only 5 cents for the opamp it doesn't matter. That's the beauty of this design. The end user decides what's important to them.

Top Bottom