• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apple's first high-end headphones

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In what world is a heavy, unwieldy phone costing $1000 with no expandable storage, no headphone jack, no USB-C port, no fingerprint reader (Face ID is useless in these current times of mask-wearing), no high (>60 Hz) refresh rate, no aptX or LDAC Bluetooth, no charger or headphones included, few meaningful upgrades on last year's models (yet again) and a huge, dated notch covering the top of the display 'a steal' in 2020 (almost 2021)?

I don’t care about any of these stuff (except the 60 Hz refresh rate, that’s indeed a bummer), I wouldn’t expect Apple to pay royalties for AptX or LDAC, not in a milion years.

they have the fastest performing processor on a phone (for 600$ with the Iphone 12 mini) and the best customer service and software support. Their devices are supported for nearly a decade. So yes that iPhone 12 mini is a steal if you use it for the next 5 - 10 years. (I’ve been using the iphone 8 for 5 years now)

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
In what world is a heavy, unwieldy phone costing $1000 with no expandable storage, no headphone jack, no USB-C port, no fingerprint reader (Face ID is useless in these current times of mask-wearing), no high (>60 Hz) refresh rate, no aptX or LDAC Bluetooth, no charger or headphones (or 3.5mm adapter to connect some) included, few meaningful upgrades on last year's models (yet again) and a huge, dated notch covering the top of the display 'a steal' in 2020 (almost 2021)?

Isn't this just a re-framing of the same arguments made about Mac computers being too expensive for the parts on offer vs PCs?

Tks

Major Contributor
Anyone know who they contracted for the driver, or is it literally their own design?

EDIT: Also nice to see Apple going somewhat back to what made them good (Music devices). For anyone that has tried Airpods Pro's will know these are going to be awesome. (I don't need to mention how good their $9 dongle is). Also nice to see a wired option.

Also nice to see a decent looking headband (not the idiotic sweat inducing leather products).

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Too bad the wired dongle doesn't support the microphone.

And there we go, I really hope your wrong. :facepalm:
But not going to bet on it. If it's true I will have $700 in my currency to get something else.

M00ndancer

Forum Donor

ElNino

a2lowvw

Looks like they are out to early March at this point... people aren't worried about the cost.

JohnBooty

Forum Donor
I agree with many of the people who are super curious about the adaptive EQ. That's really the only interesting thing here IMO.

Aside from the adaptive EQ, I am sure the headphones themselves will sound fine, if not groundbreaking relative to any high end audiophile headphones. We are talking active DSP'd drivers. That would be almost literally impossible to f--- up. Unless the drivers are physically broken, it's trivial for them to output any frequency response curve they like. Let's hope they pick a tasteful Harmon-esque one.

For the non-audiophiles that buy these, it will probably be the best sound they have ever heard in their life.
Looks like they are out to early March at this point... people aren't worried about the cost.
Always difficult to suss out how many people snapping up "hot" electronics products actually want to own them, and how many are buying to resell them. A lot of PS5/XBox sales have been to resellers. Whole organizations devoted to that.

I remember when people used to line up for new iPhone releases back in the day. The media always treated it like, "look at the Apple fanatics." Then they interview the people in line and like half of them were just buying them to sell overseas in countries where the iPhones weren't officially available yet.
The price is just too much for me, especially since the batteries won't be replaceable.
MD PHD MBA JD quadruple threat
I agree. I don't like to buy products with such built-in self destruct mechanisms. The potential good news is that they will probably sell a ton of these. That means that, like Bose QC35 headphones, perhaps a little cottage industry will spring up offering replacement parts.

Feelas

ASR members seem to be mostly immune to Veblen goods.

Either that, or ASR members are just more broke.
I wonder how many toppings the veblen cake is available in.

That would be almost literally impossible to f--- up. Unless the drivers are physically broken, it's trivial for them to output any frequency response curve they like. Let's hope they pick a tasteful Harmon-esque one.
I'd rather hope that it is both nicely tuned and at best it would be configurable.

Even for some of us , hobbyist photographers, we are forced
to accept that these smartphone cameras for the vast majority of cases are equivalent to ev n DSLR costing much more... the mind boggles.
The typical scenario might just not ask for the difference, but it'd be pretty, uuuuuh, hyperbolized? to say that it's equivalent. It's not that DSLR's are worse, it's just that we've pretty much hit the quality boundary many years ago, going into diminishing returns zone. It's just that most won't hit the places were nothing else will cut it.

Same with lotsa gear, honestly, especially since the "accurate" factor isn't actually there most of the times, replaced with the "wow" factor. And the rest? Only the massiveness of "mass production" in regards to IPS screens pushed them into the sub-$200 smartphone market. Or pretty much the cover has been blown - too many vendors have shown that this stuff IS cheap to make.

Last edited:

KeithPhantom

Forum Donor
to accept that these smartphone cameras for the vast majority of cases are equivalent to ev n DSLR costing much more
I was tempted to buy a DSLR to further develop my photography skills, but my Pixel 5 takes some astonishing pictures even in automatic mode, and Night Sight can pull some photos that let me speechless considering how small are these smartphone cameras and the low amount of light. They are seriously good for the hobbyist, but they still have a long time to catch up with professional-grade hardware.

KeithPhantom

Forum Donor
I agree. I don't like to buy products with such built-in self destruct mechanisms. The potential good news is that they will probably sell a ton of these. That means that, like Bose QC35 headphones, perhaps a little cottage industry will spring up offering replacement parts.
Also include their (in my opinion) almost-unethical business practices and their "engineering prowess" at the moment of designing their electronics. That's why I support companies like the (old?) Sennheiser, that let you buy new replacement parts and they are easily replaceable, even after 20+ years. They still make earpads for the HD 414!!!

dfuller

Major Contributor
Something stuck out to me about that 1% THD number: They tested it with a sweep at -3dBFS peak. We've seen plenty of devices that are much, much more distorted at full scale than even -1. So I will of course reserve judgement.

TimF

Forum Donor
the case looks like a girls swimsuit top. Not a man's case. Not a case I'd be seen carrying around the pool hall.

Top Bottom