• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apple's first high-end headphones

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Hi-end here refers to the price, not the sound quality.

edit: We can get lost in our clouds of $10k speakers and $5k amps, but the general public does not typically spend $500 on headphones. However, like I said, I expect this one to sell in the millions because its a very visually distinct Apple product. And I am not saying the sound quality will be bad. A comparison here of this against it's closes competitors like the Sony WH1000XM4, Bose NC700 and B&X PX will be great.

Right, the general public doesn't buy high end.

So not high end.

"Mass luxury", perhaps.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

It looks like a vintage bikini top

50s-bikini-jaynemansfield-s.jpg

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Another interesting thing about these is they're claiming less than 1% THD at 20Hz at max volume.
Is that special, I thought lots of headphones could do that up to a loud volume. And how loud is max, I don't see it mentioned anywhere, but they do give details of how the distortion was measured.
  1. Testing conducted by Apple in December 2020 using preproduction AirPods Max and software paired with iPhone 12 Pro units and prerelease software. AirPods Max placed on B&K Type 5128-C High-frequency Head and Torso Simulator (HATS). Volume was set to 100 percent with Active Noise Cancellation on. After playing pink noise to initialize the adaptive system, a 20Hz to 20kHz, -3dBFS peak, 1/12th octave stepped sine tone sweep was played and recorded on HATS. Total harmonic distortion was calculated using industry-standard IEC methods. Distortion is dependent on test signal, fixture type, headphone placement, and other factors.

bobbooo

Major Contributor
Is that special, I thought lots of headphones could do that up to a loud volume. And how loud is max, I don't see it mentioned anywhere, but they do give details of how the distortion was measured.

No it's not that special, most planars will achieve around that e.g. the HifiMan HE4XX which can be had for just $160.

ElNino

Addicted to Fun and Learning

It's hard to know whether this is special given that we don't know how loud maximum loudness is. However, as a point of comparison, max volume for the Airpods Pro is 110dB SPL(A). I doubt these are any quieter. <1% THD at 1kHz at 110dB would not be that eye-opening, but at the 20Hz they're quoting at the same volume I'd be impressed from a dynamic driver.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
The price is just too much for me, especially since the batteries won't be replaceable.

MD PHD MBA JD quadruple threat

Pretty close, minus the medical background.

And add in enough budget to run marketing for a several billion dollar business for my day job at a giant megacorp.

It's like letting your kids run with scissors.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
The aesthetics look too flashy and hip for someone like me. Although if I were to stick with the Apple eco-system in the foreseeable future, and if the batteries were easily user replaceable -- wishful thinking! -- I might just get it. I'm still using electronics that have well passed the end of their life cycle -- e.g. ereaders and smart phone. I change the batteries or other replaceable/upgradeable parts myself whenever possible. I simply hate e-waste.

LearningToSmile

That's great news for other headphone manufacturers if nothing else - it will normalize paying $549 for a pair of headphones for a lot of people who would never otherwise consider the idea.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
HI

Have not read all the posts. I do not take companies like Apple lightly. They believe in applied Science. The Apple Homepod speaker measures rather well and sounds good too, I am at at a point where my Headphones needs are fulfilled (HE6, Stax 007 and HE560, Sony WH-1000XM2) ... I don't need another set of headphones but it was love at first sight .... I will order one ... :(...
I hate you guys ...

Last edited:

bobbooo

Major Contributor
That's great news for other headphone manufacturers if nothing else - it will normalize paying $549 for a pair of headphones for a lot of people who would never otherwise consider the idea.

And terrible for consumers, just as the iPhone normalized paying extortionate amounts like $1000 for a smartphone.

OP
mi-fu

mi-fu

Forum Donor
Is it?

$549 is mid tier pricing in headphone land now that we have >$1k headphones.

depends on who you are talking to :)

It is in the price range of HD600 / 650 / 660S. At least Sennheiser call them "audiophile headphones." :p

OP
mi-fu

mi-fu

Forum Donor

Or it can be a terrible news for other headphone manufacturers, IF Apple can really make exceptionally great sound with its design / technology.

Bob-23

What makes them "high end"?
The believers who buy that usually completely overpriced and not rarely poorly crafted stuff made buy Foxcon-workers who, occasionally, jump to their death from the roof-top of their factory. In addition, mostly irreparable devices with irreplacable parts, glued together, and screws that nobody should open. I recommend a jail-break, a fully one.
Look: Louis Rossmann

Top Bottom