• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apollon NCx500ST Stereo Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 30 7.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 365 90.8%

• Total voters

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
They're different voltage supplies, and they correspond to the voltages the amplifiers need. Purifi 1ET400A wants 65V, and the NCx500 wants 84V.

The Purifi could maybe do with a slightly higher voltage (the A400 is 63V), but it can't use the A700 supply, it's too high.

Ok, thanks.

Apollon Audio

Audio Company
What are the power ratings in 8, / 4, and 2 ohms All-Channels-Driven for this multichannel amplifier for 120V or 240V mains.?
In a 9-channel configuration, when all channels are driven simultaneously to their maximum capacity, the peak power ratings per channel are as follows:
  • 660W at 4 Ohms
  • 380W at 8 Ohms
  • 660W at 2 Ohms

David_M

In a 9-channel configuration, when all channels are driven simultaneously to their maximum capacity, the peak power ratings per channel are as follows:
  • 660W at 4 Ohms
  • 380W at 8 Ohms
  • 660W at 2 Ohms
Really? So, multiply any of those ratings by 9 and we get total power that exceeds what the mains can deliver 1800W/3600W (15A) or 2400W/4800W for 1 or 2 AC outlets respectively (USA) for 4- and 2-ohm loads. Something's off here?

Apollon Audio

Audio Company
Really? So, multiply any of those ratings by 9 and we get total power that exceeds what the mains can deliver 1800W/3600W (15A) or 2400W/4800W for 1 or 2 AC outlets respectively (USA) for 4- and 2-ohm loads. Something's off here?
In Europe for instance, our standard electrical outlets are rated at either 16A, equating to 3,840W, or 20A, amounting to 4,800W.

This amplifier is equipped with dual 3600W main inlets.

It's important to clarify that the figures mentioned represent peak power ratings. For continuous operation, the NCx500 amplifier module is capable of delivering around 500 watts at 4 Ohms per channel or slightly more in this enclosure.

In this review Amir measured 2.2kW peak from one of our NC2K based mono blocks from a shared 20A outlet without any problems. The same power supply was installed as in our multichannel amplifier.

Last edited:

David_M

In Europe for instance, our standard electrical outlets are rated at either 16A, equating to 3,840W, or 20A, amounting to 4,800W.

This amplifier is equipped with dual 3600W main inlets.

It's important to clarify that the figures mentioned represent peak power ratings. For continuous operation, the NCx500 amplifier module is capable of delivering around 500 watts at 4 Ohms per channel or slightly more in this enclosure.

In this review Amir measured 2.2kW peak from one of our NC2K based mono blocks from a shared 20A outlet without any problems. The same power supply was installed as in our multichannel amplifier.

Dual 3600W@ outlets make sense to reach those peak specs in Europe. For the US, it'll be much lower as dual 2400W outlets are the best we can do, so the peak ratings, limited by available mains supply current, will be much lower.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Dual 3600W@ outlets make sense to reach those peak specs in Europe. For the US, it'll be much lower as dual 2400W outlets are the best we can do, so the peak ratings, limited by available mains supply current, will be much lower.
Or install 240V outlets in your system. Easy.

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Remember that a normal breaker will allow well above its rated amperage for peaks (typically a minimum of 3-5 seconds). And the peaks of these amplifiers, even if reached in a theater setup, will be very quick and not on every channel at once.
Now if you bought say the 9ch amp and played max continuous sine wave material to every channel, sure it might then be limited by the wall outlets/fuse box.

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I always go back to my real world use case:
Funk 4400w sub (2000w sustained), (2) 6ch NC502MP amps, a single 3ch Purifi amp, an 85” QLED tv, and all of my components on a single 15A breaker. Never had an issue watching movies at reference levels.

People underestimate how well a household circuit can handle peak power draws. And also how much power is actually drawn during peak use of a normal audio setup (even at reference levels).

SorenTyson

I always go back to my real world use case:
Funk 4400w sub (2000w sustained), (2) 6ch NC502MP amps, a single 3ch Purifi amp, an 85” QLED tv, and all of my components on a single 15A breaker. Never had an issue watching movies at reference levels.

People underestimate how well a household circuit can handle peak power draws. And also how much power is actually drawn during peak use of a normal audio setup (even at reference levels).
This.

Finding audio science review was a gift and thanks for sharing knowledge here.

Twist is that with all the data available somehow the discussion often goes to topics with no real life usage.

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor
Twist is that with all the data available somehow the discussion often goes to topics with no real life usage.
Some people go out of their way to be a pain in the ass. What point is made by enumerating the limitations of US electrical grids?

Is it the products fault if you're unable to provide it with the power it needs to reach max rated specs? If that's a concern, order it configured for 240v and upgrade the subsystem in your space accordingly.

bmwr75

I tried to place an order with Apollon Audio today. Payment via credit card keeps failing. Have contacted Apollon and the credit card company. Still unable to complete an order. Oh well.......will try again tomorrow.
Was able to get order to go through today. Tibor at Apollon was very responsive and helpful in getting the web site issue fixed so payment could be processed.

David_M

Some people go out of their way to be a pain in the ass. What point is made by enumerating the limitations of US electrical grids?

Is it the products fault if you're unable to provide it with the power it needs to reach max rated specs? If that's a concern, order it configured for 240v and upgrade the subsystem in your space accordingly.
I was NOT being a PITA or pointing out limitations of the US electrical grid. I was genuinely trying to solve a basic math problem for the power specs of a 9 channel amplifier.

Apollon Audio

Audio Company
Great review and product…
1st question….what happens if one of the balanced / rca switches is set opposite of the other one?
2nd question…same thing on the gain switches, what if they are set different.
Thank you.

The balanced/rca and gain switches work independent for each channel. You can set these switches independently however you want.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
FYI the owner got the amp, took it apart, and realized that it had Sonic Imagery opamps even though he ordered the regular ones. I updated the review to reflect this.

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor
FYI the owner got the amp, took it apart, and realized that it had Sonic Imagery opamps even though he ordered the regular ones. I updated the review to reflect this.
It's nice to know (for those interested in OpAmp rolling) that the Sonic Imagery OpAmps don't seem to come with a SINAD penalty vs OPA1656 or the reference design.

Not an audible one anyway.

bmwr75

Years ago I bought some Audio-GD discrete opamps for a Matrix M-stage headphone amplifier (see link below). Can these be used in this Apollon amplifier?

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor
Years ago I bought some Audio-GD discrete opamps for a Matrix M-stage headphone amplifier (see link below). Can these be used in this Apollon amplifier?

The pin out looks the same, but I’d let Apollon confirm.

Top Bottom