• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apollon NCx500ST Stereo Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 30 7.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 365 90.8%

• Total voters

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In addition to premium casework, I think the more expensive models are mostly dual (or multi) mono configurations and slightly different chipsets (NCx500 vs NCx500ST).
What is the NCx500ST? Have not heard of it before.

Apollon Audio

Audio Company
What is the NCx500ST? Have not heard of it before.
The NCx500ST denotes the stereo version of the NCx500, equipped with a single Hypex SMPS 1200 power supply and two NCx500 modules. Alternatively, there's the NCx500DM, a dual mono variant, which features two Hypex SMPS 1200 power supplies. We also offer two enclosure options: a basic design, as seen in the reviewed amplifier, and a luxurious version constructed from 10mm-thick aluminum all around.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
.We also offer two enclosure options: a basic design, as seen in the reviewed amplifier, and a luxurious version constructed from 10mm-thick aluminum all around

And for this who are curious, the "basic" design is pretty damn luxurious in itself. One of the best looking case work for "basic."

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The NCx500ST denotes the stereo version of the NCx500, equipped with a single Hypex SMPS 1200 power supply and two NCx500 modules. Alternatively, there's the NCx500DM, a dual mono variant, which features two Hypex SMPS 1200 power supplies. We also offer two enclosure options: a basic design, as seen in the reviewed amplifier, and a luxurious version constructed from 10mm-thick aluminum all around.

Thanks. So the forum member I was responding to misunderstood the nomenclature and thought that NCx500ST was a different module that the NCx500. That in turn led to my confusion.

David_M

1. At what THD+N distortion levels do you rate your power specs for 8, 4, and 2 ohms?

2. What is the advantage of using Purifi modules instead of these Hypex ones? Are the two modules audibly distinguishable? if so, which one sounds better?

Apollon Audio

Audio Company
1. At what THD+N distortion levels do you rate your power specs for 8, 4, and 2 ohms?

2. What is the advantage of using Purifi modules instead of these Hypex ones? Are the two modules audibly distinguishable? if so, which one sounds better?
Our power specifications are rated at 1% THD+N.

Comparatively, the NCx500 exhibits superior performance metrics relative to the Purifi 1ET400A in power and measurements. However, their performance profiles are so closely matched that distinguishing between them becomes quite nuanced. While some individuals characterize the Purifi as having a more musical tonality, others prefer the sound of the NCx500, finding it more punchy and revealing, though such assessments are inherently subjective. Both options offer exemplary sonic performance. From an objective standpoint, either choice is commendable. My preference leans towards the NCx500 due to its greater power availability.

David_M

Our power specifications are rated at 1% THD+N.

Comparatively, the NCx500 exhibits superior performance metrics relative to the Purifi 1ET400A in power and measurements. However, their performance profiles are so closely matched that distinguishing between them becomes quite nuanced. While some individuals characterize the Purifi as having a more musical tonality, others prefer the sound of the NCx500, finding it more punchy and revealing, though such assessments are inherently subjective. Both options offer exemplary sonic performance. From an objective standpoint, either choice is commendable. My preference leans towards the NCx500 due to its greater power availability.
Thank you for this ... Listening to Bruno, it seemed to him that something was wrong with present-day Class D amps which inspired him to create the 1ET400 amplifier. From what you are saying, there seem to be no inherent advantages the Purifi amps have over the Hypex amps.

Apollon Audio

Audio Company
Thank you for this ... Listening to Bruno, it seemed to him that something was wrong with present-day Class D amps which inspired him to create the 1ET400 amplifier. From what you are saying, there seem to be no inherent advantages the Purifi amps have over the Hypex amps.
Please note that while Purifi surpasses earlier Hypex models, the recent NCx500 and Nilai modules from Hypex are on par with Purifi.

DualTriode

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't like the curved side corners. Not a major flaw, just not good industrial design IMHO.

The more I see class-D amps filling the top ranks of the amplifier ratings, the more respect I have for Benchmark in designing a class AB amp that is right up there with them. I think class AB design and manufacturing to that exalted standard is very difficult. Seems to me that once the methods for top-quality class D amps have been worked out, it's somewhat easier to achieve this level of performance - especially if you are going to use a Hypex or Purifi module.

Good amps all sound good. I don't think there's an inherent sonic advantage in choosing class-D or class-AB; but class-D does have power consumption, weight and heat advantages over traditional class-AB designs.

If this DUT had Neutrik SpeakON Connectors I would consider the purchase.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What you are saying has nothing to do with class D, and everything to do with the way these amps are mounted in their cases.
It has everything to do with class D because this is the way they are constructed for home audio use.

Top Bottom