• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AOSHIDA SMSL C200 Review (DAC & Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 9 2.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 58 17.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 260 78.8%

• Total voters

Boltman92124

this is the best all in one dac+amp in the price range; better than topping dx3 pro+ or fiio k7
Despite no bluetooth, the K7 has true balanced operation and analog line inputs (making the headphone section usable with analog sources). Also not sure the C200 can be used as a DAC only with fixed line out? The K7 can with a simple toggle switch.

jsz

i think internal is a plus for this price range - for example the Topping external PSU feels so cheap i think they get any phone charger they have available and send it
at least the c200 has a proper audio power supply
and it's not "chinese driver", the device uses a XMOS driver which is standard for all usb audio devices

I don't know any phone chargers with 15v plugs unless it's some universal aftermarket spec. They're mostly 5v or 9V depending on Quick charge/PD capability.

There is also no "XMOS" driver.. its a windows default driver if anything. I'm just curious if it defaults in 1.1 or 2.0 for link speed. You can find this out by looking at audio properties per device.

Please post confirmation.

Edit:

USB transmission: USB1.1; USB2.0(Asynchronization)
USB compatibility: Windows 7/8/8.1/10/11(Needs Driver)

It's unclear what type of driver is needed... SMSL's dedicated driver or the basic Microsoft driver that 99% of USB audios products adapt.

USB 1.1 would suck.

Last edited:

SiW

Anyone directly compared this with the Topping EX5?

I cannot tell from the measurements if one is better than the other as the SMSL is better for SINAD but the amp doesn’t seem to measure as well as the Topping.

Ariamella

Despite no bluetooth, the K7 has true balanced operation and analog line inputs (making the headphone section usable with analog sources). Also not sure the C200 can be used as a DAC only with fixed line out? The K7 can with a simple toggle switch.
With dac/amps like this, typically to get true line out you just need to max out the volume, as the volume adjustment is done digitally within the dac.

Boltman92124

With dac/amps like this, typically to get true line out you just need to max out the volume, as the volume adjustment is done digitally within the dac.
Yeah same with most headphone amps. Trying to avoid that second volume control in the loop deal. Pass through is a good feature as well. On the Topping HA's L50 and A30Pro, you turn off the unit to use them. Line-out is fine too for a tape loop. I opted for the FiiO K7 Pro yesterday. I'll see how I like it. Thanks for the feedback!

DarrylG

Addicted to Fun and Learning

SiW

Got mine and tried it out today.

Smaller than the EX5 and easy to use. Prefer the USB C connection for use with my iPhone.

First listen sounds good but will try to do side by side tests.

Mickael

I have had the C200 since Christmas. The sound is amazing but I have one small issue that I fixed and one major issue that I need some suggestions for. The small issue was the clicking when starting and stopping audio. The fix for this was installing the driver software and modifying a cxl file to allow always on streaming to be turned on instead of on demand.
Could you provide an explaination on how one could get these fixes?
I have been having random optical audio dropouts, have it set to dp9 and even bypassed my TV's audio optical out with an HDMI ARC audio extractor hooked up to my one and only valuable hdmi arc input, and then optical out from J Digital extractor to the C200 optical In.
Maybe having the 'always on streaming" would help?
I'm desperate. Not sure why I still experience audio drop outs.
My major issue is only when uskng headphones. Often when I'm wearing headphones for no matter how long, I will take them off to do something and walk away and when I come back I have no audio? The only way to fix it is to power the DAC off and on again. Anyone have any ideas what might cause this?

Mickael

Same here, sweet deal on Amazon ! Brand new to the audiophile headphones world, but it does sound very good to my ears. Although I noticed there's some light buzzing sound coming from the area where the kettle plug goes in, when it's plugged in the mains but not switched on... Is that something you have on yours as well ?
I'm only having occasional random audio drop outs via optical.. Can't figure out how to get rid of. (replaced topping dx3pro+ for c200. both had the issue)

pallatin

Please help: how can I connect my C200 to my iPhone?. I’ve tried regular Lightning to USB-C cables and I’ve had no luck. Why is that?

JRS

Major Contributor
If rumour is true USD129, this is insane value

Better value than Topping

I also trust SMSL QA/QC more
I've got the Dx 3+ pro. Great sounding but SW is a PITA with my version. Every time I migrate to another computer takes several tries downloading and installing drivers. BT doesn't work in some cases. And no balanced out makes me think this is worth a look and move the Topping to a dedicated source. Oh and EE friend couldn't even get it to work when I loaned him mine. No excuse for that crap these days.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Please help: how can I connect my C200 to my iPhone?. I’ve tried regular Lightning to USB-C cables and I’ve had no luck. Why is that?
Because the regular Lightning to USB-C cable is not an "OTG" cable and is not designed for plugging USB accessories into an iPhone.
Here's one such OTG cable: https://aliexpress.com/item/33009721024.html
Hca77c0ea6f2742628bc3b1bafbc1a01c7.jpg_640x640q90.jpg

Alternatively you could try the Apple A1440 or A1619 along with a regular Type-A to Type-C cable.

Edit: Here's another OTG cable: https://www.amazon.com/AGVEE-Lightning-Converter-Microphone-Headphone/dp/B0B65LJP5L

FiiO LT-LT3 is another one.

Last edited:

SiW

Because the regular Lightning to USB-C cable is not an "OTG" cable and is not designed for plugging USB accessories into an iPhone.
Here's one such OTG cable: https://aliexpress.com/item/33009721024.html
View attachment 267735

Alternatively you could try the Apple A1440 or A1619 along with a regular Type-A to Type-C cable.

Edit: Here's another OTG cable: https://www.amazon.com/AGVEE-Lightning-Converter-Microphone-Headphone/dp/B0B65LJP5L

FiiO LT-LT3 is another one.
I used the Fiio LT-LT3 along with a usb c extender and it worked perfectly.

SiW

The Fiio lead has worked with all usb c DACs and dongles with my iPhone.

Tenfilip

Can I have the balanced output to my speakers and the unbalanced to the subwoofer? This shouldnt break anything, right?

Abdul2

Can someone help me and tell me how long is the power cord included , and can c200 drive 600ohms hp like dt770

NaglfarrCZ

Hi guys, I am new here and I am quite interested in this DAC. I am used to listen on big set - Marantz SR6015 + Emotiva BasX A3 + Quadral Platinum+ Nine. I am now forced to move my working place to smaller room (aprox 10m2) and thus I am trying to solve technical solution even there. I don't have any experience with nearfield solution, so I am trying to choose well DAC + active pair of speakers / monitors.

This DAC looks great to me, but I am a bit scared of reliability. I am thinking even about DX3PRO+, but lack of balanced could be problem for monitors, thus I am thinking even about Topping EX5. Considered KRK 7G4 have only balanced input. Kali LP-6 and Adam T7V have even unbalanced, but I haven't heard and tested any of them so far. What combination could you guys recommend me, when I am used to relatively big and a bit warmer sound with deep bass, but enough details?

Second question may be dumb, but is there any real effect in proper support of MQA? Does it affect quality? This is honestly main reason why I started to consider even EX5.
I am using both Spotify (PC and car only) and Tidal in Master quality (big set + PC).

My hi-fi guru is suggesting Cambridge Audio DacMagic 200M, but it's a quite expensive solution...

spartoi

I'm looking looking for combo headphone amp/dac with a built-in power supply to drive my Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Noire. I have a Schiit Jotunehim 2 for home use but want something a bit smaller for office use. Is this the most powerful combo dac/amp that's smaller than my Jotunheim? So more powerful than the Topping and other chifi alternatives or am I overlooking something?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Can someone help me and tell me how long is the power cord included , and can c200 drive 600ohms hp like dt770
The C200 can drive the DT 770 Edition 600Ω to 118dB SPL Peak. That's extremely loud.

Top Bottom