• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AOSHIDA SMSL C200 Review (DAC & Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 9 2.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 58 17.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 260 78.8%

• Total voters

Tenfilip

Can I have the balanced output to my speakers and the unbalanced to the subwoofer? This shouldnt break anything, right?
Ok, I will reply myself - yes, you can, since I did it and it works fine. Not sure if it impacts levels/dynamics, though.

profesy

Got my C200, it sometimes randomly stops outputting sound until I power cycle it, any idea what's wrong with it?
I too have the same problem, i tried reinstalling the driver, changing the usb cable and also formatting the pc but it didn't solve it. Anyone who solved the problem?
Is there a firmware update?

Last edited:

DarrylG

Addicted to Fun and Learning
do you know good replacement cord ?? the one included seems too short for my setup
I think it's a generic 3-prong power cord of the kind used with desktop computer power supplies, among other things. It says "10A 125V" on the plug. Here's one:

I too have the same problem, i tried reinstalling the driver, changing the usb cable and also formatting the pc but it didn't solve it. Anyone who solved the problem?
Is there a firmware update?
For me it's not random. It happens when I move from my desk chair, probably a static discharge. It's repeatable. I'm sending it back.

Too bad, because in every other respect it was a great little unit.

Last edited:

profesy

Fo me it's not random. It happens when I move from my desk chair, probably a static discharge. It's repeatable. I'm sending it back.

Too bad, because in every other respect it was a great little unit.
Same for me, every time i take off my headphones and move from my chair it stops working .

Static electricity (from my desk chair, apparently) seems to cause abrupt shut down of audio function. It can only recover with a power cycle. I guess that it's not properly shielded. As much as I liked the features and overall quality, I give it a headless panther rating. I'm sending it back to the merchant. If this can be fixed with firmware, then fine. In any case, caveat emptor. All of this, IMHO, YMMV.

Last edited:

Egglestron

I'm sending it back today, for this exact reason. I usually grab a quick coffee and I often have no sound output when I come back. I was at a complete loss until today, reading this post and another one mentioning the issue (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ps-working-when-i-remove-my-headphones.41831/): my slippers usually build up some static electricity, and when I touch the metal frame of my DT 770 PRO, the output stops instantly...

Such a shame...

jsz

Ouch. That's a very annoying issue.

Did anyone ever confirm if the device runs at 1.1 or 2.0 native with windows default driver? I think it's an important factor considering marketing list 1.1 w/o driver.. It just doesn't explain which driver... SMSL or default MS one.

Ariamella

Ok, double post, the disconnect happened again a few times since then so I've returned it and I'm getting a Sabaj A10d instead.

porotikos

Hi there.
i currently have a soncoz la-qxd1. Actually i quite like it. it is the revised version that fixed the static problem.
But i saw this dac+amp combo and i am thinking of changing to it.
Buuuuut.
I read about problems that audio drops out.
So, is it a design flaw? seems quite annoying. and while the price is right, i cant get to such hassle to have to powercycle the amp every time.

Is there right now perhaps a dac+amp combo at that price range that is worth it?
or perhaps i should wait?
Perhaps sooner comes again such a bargain combo. that has no design problems (?). and perhaps has more advantages. cheers

Joffy1780

Hi there.
i currently have a soncoz la-qxd1. Actually i quite like it. it is the revised version that fixed the static problem.
But i saw this dac+amp combo and i am thinking of changing to it.
Buuuuut.
I read about problems that audio drops out.
So, is it a design flaw? seems quite annoying. and while the price is right, i cant get to such hassle to have to powercycle the amp every time.

Is there right now perhaps a dac+amp combo at that price range that is worth it?
or perhaps i should wait?
Perhaps sooner comes again such a bargain combo. that has no design problems (?). and perhaps has more advantages. cheers
The Topping DX3+ is a similar price and is very highly regarded.

porotikos

thank you. it performs a bit less i guess, and it doesnt have balanced out. But seems quite promising. ill dig more into it.
perhaps i should wait more.
seems like the market is starting to release combos. oh i love combos.
Thank you again

Joffy1780

thank you. it performs a bit less i guess, and it doesnt have balanced out. But seems quite promising. ill dig more into it.
perhaps i should wait more.
seems like the market is starting to release combos. oh i love combos.
Thank you again
Yes it doesn't have quite the same performance (SINAD), but is slightly cheaper, plus the difference is minimal and will be inaudible.
Plus it doesn't actually have balanced headphone output, just the line out is balanced. Obviously if you were connecting to a power amp as well, this might be useful, but just as DAC+HP amp the differences are negligible, performance + features wise.

JeffJ

Yes it doesn't have quite the same performance (SINAD), but is slightly cheaper, plus the difference is minimal and will be inaudible.
Plus it doesn't actually have balanced headphone output, just the line out is balanced. Obviously if you were connecting to a power amp as well, this might be useful, but just as DAC+HP amp the differences are negligible, performance + features wise.
If I use an adapter to connect TRS out to 2.5/4.4 balanced cable, would that work the same way as a balanced out? I'm quite new to this and curious.

Attachments

• IMG_0594 2.JPG
    IMG_0594 2.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 73

Joffy1780

If I use an adapter to connect TRS out to 2.5/4.4 balanced cable, would that work the same way as a balanced out? I'm quite new to this and curious.
No sorry, the TRS outputs are to connect to a separate amp, not for headphones.

JeffJ

No sorry, the TRS outputs are to connect to a separate amp, not for headphones.
Thanks for reply! I'm curious about this because I'm shopping for a dac/amp AIO for my sundara and future purchase of DCA aeon x. These might need some extra power, so I'm looking for a dac/amp AIO with balanced output. My understanding is in the same amp, balanced output should produce more power than headphone output. So my question is, in C200, TRS outputs --> adapter --> balanced cable would produce more power than its 4.4 headphone output (non-balanced)?

C200 is very reasonably priced and has all the features I need, except for the balanced headphone output.

Again thanks for the advice!

Top Bottom