• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AOSHIDA SMSL C200 Review (DAC & Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 9 2.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 58 17.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 260 78.8%

• Total voters

staticV3

Master Contributor
So my question is, in C200, TRS outputs --> adapter --> balanced cable would produce more power than its 4.4 headphone output (non-balanced)?
Absolutely not. The TRS is Line out, and so can output barely any current.
My understanding is in the same amp, balanced output should produce more power than headphone output
No. Balanced Headphone output can potentially produce more power than single-ended headphone output.
But this is not guaranteed. Always look at the actual output power of the Amps in question. There are lots of single ended Amps more powerful than balanced counterparts.

JeffJ

Absolutely not. The TRS is Line out, and so can output barely any current.

No. Balanced Headphone output can potentially produce more power than single-ended headphone output.
But this is not guaranteed. Always look at the actual output power of the Amps in question. There are lots of single ended Amps more powerful than balanced counterparts.
Oh I see now. So line out and headphone out are quite different format, balanced or not. Serve different purpose. I never thought about it. Greatly appreciate the education!

HDavidson

I can't find the info on the lines outputs. RCA and TRS are fixed or in PRE mode?

Mitusi

I am new to this forum. Great information here.

Seeing so many nice reviews of this SMSL C200 DAC, I got mine last week. If I use RCA cables connected the C200 to my Loxjie A30 amplifier for desktop speakers, rather loud hissing noise can be heard. The volume of the C200 up or down does not change the hiss. When I turn the Loxjie A30 volume up above 25~30, the hissing noise can be already be heard. The higher the volume, the louder is the hissing noise.

Input signal to C200 DAC is iPad Mini 6 through USB C cable. No similar problem with BT input. And I have no such problem when using the 2 years old Topping E30 (1st generation) with the same RCA connection.

Does anyone have similar problem? Is my C200 defect or what can I do to reduce the hiss? Thanks.

Mitusi

Probably this is the cause: cable (powered) vs bluetooth (no powered) from the source
|Agree. I originally think that the internal psu of the C200 will have better performance against noise but seems that it is worse than expected. I have no equipment to measure the power cable noise level, can only judge by my ear. The Loxjie A30 with external power supply is clean. Also Topping E30 using a mobile phone charger has no noise to my ear.

JktHifi

|Agree. I originally think that the internal psu of the C200 will have better performance against noise but seems that it is worse than expected. I have no equipment to measure the power cable noise level, can only judge by my ear. The Loxjie A30 with external power supply is clean. Also Topping E30 using a mobile phone charger has no noise to my ear.
Topping E30 is USB B. And others such as Ifi UNO usb C need to be converted to A first. Usb C to C is the better one.

Mitusi

Topping E30 is USB B. And others such as Ifi UNO usb C need to be converted to A first. Usb C to C is the better one.
Since I use my iPad as source connection, usb C to C is also one of the reasons I bought the C200. I tried with Apple Music 24bit/192kHz without any problem.

jonUK

I can't find the info on the lines outputs. RCA and TRS are fixed or in PRE mode?
They are variable output. In my case I mostly just leave it at max volume and control listening volume through my amp. I'm not aware of a fixed volume setting being on this.

JktHifi

Since I use my iPad as source connection, usb C to C is also one of the reasons I bought the C200. I tried with Apple Music 24bit/192kHz without any problem.
I also plan to buy C200 for LDAC headphone. Connect both Optical C200 and PO100 while coax/analog of PO100 still can play, not disturbed (stop playing music).

Last edited:

Liebkraft

perhaps op could edit his post to inform about the issue with static discharges causing issues with the device. i personally used this device a couple of days, loved it, but it would regularly turn off the sound output when i turned off my power amp that was connected via rca to the dac. also sometimes when i would just get up from my office chair. many people have reported similar issues and the official smsl costumer support responded here about the issue:

tldr, there's potentially a firmware update in the works which will hopefully fix this.

WondrousHippo

Forum Donor
My C200 has been especially acting up lately, sometimes just deciding it doesn't want to lock on to the SPDIF signal until I turn it off and on again. The sound quality is great, but like a lot of this equipment, the usability is annoying.

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just received delivery of my C200 and pair of Sennheiser HD560s today, connected via coax to my Wiim Pro and via Bluetooth to my phone, tablet and AVR (for TV/movies)
This is my first experience of high fidelity headphones, having always used budget Bluetooth headphones in the past.
First impressions are that the combo is neutral and transparent, and go very loud, which is exactly what I was looking for. No exaggerated or boomy bass and lots and lots of detail.
Very happy so far :)

JktHifi

Just received delivery of my C200 and pair of Sennheiser HD560s today, connected via coax to my Wiim Pro and via Bluetooth to my phone, tablet and AVR (for TV/movies)
This is my first experience of high fidelity headphones, having always used budget Bluetooth headphones in the past.
First impressions are that the combo is neutral and transparent, and go very loud, which is exactly what I was looking for. No exaggerated or boomy bass and lots and lots of detail.
Very happy so far :)
How is the experience of USB C input?

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How is the experience of USB C input?
I haven't used the usb input and I'm not planning to do so in normal usage, but I can test it out later and report back.
Is there anything in particular you want me to test or look out for?

JktHifi

I haven't used the usb input and I'm not planning to do so in normal usage, but I can test it out later and report back.
Is there anything in particular you want me to test or look out for?
How about the RCA imbalance between Left or Right?

dr.raul

Hi all, I am new here and I just bought a C200 and I would like some advice from the more experts, please bear with me.
I use it connected throught USB to my PC and I use mainly with VLC or Foobar. I installed the Xmos driver from SMSL support page and the USB mode is set to U2.0.
- I set PCM Filter to 3 as it seems it is the best from what I read in this thread, is it correct?
- My IEMs get a sufficient volume with low gain (it's much higher with GH) is there any advantage using GH instead?
- What about the DPLL setting? I have it default at 4, is it OK or should I change it?
- The display shows always 44.1, even if I am playing a Hi-Res 24-96 flac file, shouldn't it show the correct sample rate? Or should I set (from windows audio settings) another sample rate? I have windows 11, in the audio settings it correctly shows SMSL USB DAC, in the output section I can choose several sample rates, from 16bit 44.1 to 32bit 384.0 Hz, should I choose a particular one here?
- When I turn off the unit by long-pressing the knob, is it really completely off or it is still in stand-by mode? I would like to be able to put it off completely when not in use.
- The USB cable coming with the unit is too short for me, so I bought another USB-C to USB-A cable on Amazon but it introduces noise (scratching, cracks) when the original cable and also a cable for my samsung note work correctly. Maybe the cable is defective or is there a particular type of USB cable that should be used? It seems that on Amazon the USB-C to A cables are all charging cables (supporting fast charge) maybe is this the reason of the noise?
Sorry for the many questions
Thank you very much

jonUK

Hi all, I am new here and I just bought a C200 and I would like some advice from the more experts, please bear with me.
I use it connected throught USB to my PC and I use mainly with VLC or Foobar. I installed the Xmos driver from SMSL support page and the USB mode is set to U2.0.
- I set PCM Filter to 3 as it seems it is the best from what I read in this thread, is it correct?
- My IEMs get a sufficient volume with low gain (it's much higher with GH) is there any advantage using GH instead?
- What about the DPLL setting? I have it default at 4, is it OK or should I change it?
- The display shows always 44.1, even if I am playing a Hi-Res 24-96 flac file, shouldn't it show the correct sample rate? Or should I set (from windows audio settings) another sample rate? I have windows 11, in the audio settings it correctly shows SMSL USB DAC, in the output section I can choose several sample rates, from 16bit 44.1 to 32bit 384.0 Hz, should I choose a particular one here?
- When I turn off the unit by long-pressing the knob, is it really completely off or it is still in stand-by mode? I would like to be able to put it off completely when not in use.
- The USB cable coming with the unit is too short for me, so I bought another USB-C to USB-A cable on Amazon but it introduces noise (scratching, cracks) when the original cable and also a cable for my samsung note work correctly. Maybe the cable is defective or is there a particular type of USB cable that should be used? It seems that on Amazon the USB-C to A cables are all charging cables (supporting fast charge) maybe is this the reason of the noise?
Sorry for the many questions
Thank you very much

Hi there. Not an expert but I'll give it a go.

- If you like the sound of it then it's fine. Honestly I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between any of the filters - the difference is very subtle. I think I've set mine to filter 4.

- I think the high gain mode is for less sensitive headphones - some require a great deal more power than others. For sensitive IEM's I'd suggest low gain is fine.

- I've had to increase it to 7 to work with the optical input from my TV. The lower values result in dropouts. 7 is the lowest number that doesn't have any dropouts on that input. My understanding is it only makes a difference on the optical and co-ax inputs - it has no function on USB. The higher the number the more compatible it is with other devices, but I think theoretically jitter can increase the higher the setting too. If you have no audio dropouts, or don't use inputs other than USB, there's no need to change this.

- Yes it should show the actual sample rate of your file if set up correctly. It sounds like your output is using shared WASAPI mode rather than exclusive resulting in resampling happening. Try this - in Foobar2000 preferences in the Output section, change the output device to (what should be something like) Default : Speakers [2 - SMSL USB DAC] [Exclusive] (this is what it looks like to me in the latest version of Foobar2000). Also change the Output Data Format to 32 bit while you're there. You may also see options like WASAPI (event) : Speakers [2 - SMSL USB DAC] which you can try alternatively. Test. If none of that works as intended then we can set it up to use the ASIO driver, but these should work fine..

- It's in standby. It can be turned on again using the remote or pressing the volume knob so a section of the electronics have to be powered to "listen" for input on these controls. It uses a tiny amount of power in this mode. There's no hard power off switch on this device.

- Possible you've got a bad one? I'm just using an Amazon Basics USB-C to USB-A 3 Amp cable without a problem. Amazon seem to be phasing them out for higher power (100w) capable cables, which I haven't tried. You don't need to pay extra for a USB 3.x capable cable, because this DAC does not use USB 3.2. USB-C is hugely confusing.

Last edited:

dr.raul

Thank you Jon for the quick and detailed answers,
I changed the output device in Foobar as per your directions to Default : Speakers [4 - SMSL USB DAC] [Exclusive] and now it displays the actual sample rate.
So anytime I change from SMSL (headphone) to normal speakers connected to PC do I need to manually change the output device in Foobar?
Is there a similar option to set in VLC player to display the correct rate? I choose "smsl" in output audio but it still shows 44.1.
In windows 11 (maybe it's the same in 10), is it indifferent which output rate is set in the audio output settings page? I see you can choose from 16bit 44.1 to 32bit 384.0 Hz.
Yes, probably my cable is bad as the others two I have, as I wrote, work correctly. So any USB-C to A charger cable (even USB-2) is OK for this use?
Thanks again

Hi there. Not an expert but I'll give it a go.

- If you like the sound of it then it's fine. Honestly I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between any of the filters - the difference is very subtle. I think I've set mine to filter 4.

- I think the high gain mode is for less sensitive headphones - some require a great deal more power than others. For sensitive IEM's I'd suggest low gain is fine.

- I've had to increase it to 7 to work with the optical input from my TV. The lower values result in dropouts. 7 is the lowest number that doesn't have any dropouts on that input. My understanding is it only makes a difference on the optical and co-ax inputs - it has no function on USB. The higher the number the more compatible it is with other devices, but I think theoretically jitter can increase the higher the setting too. If you have no audio dropouts, or don't use inputs other than USB, there's no need to change this.

- Yes it should show the actual sample rate of your file if set up correctly. It sounds like your output is using shared WASAPI mode rather than exclusive resulting in resampling happening. Try this - in Foobar2000 preferences in the Output section, change the output device to (what should be something like) Default : Speakers [2 - SMSL USB DAC] [Exclusive] (this is what it looks like to me in the latest version of Foobar2000). Also change the Output Data Format to 32 bit while you're there. You may also see options like WASAPI (event) : Speakers [2 - SMSL USB DAC] which you can try alternatively. Test. If none of that works as intended then we can set it up to use the ASIO driver, but these should work fine..

- It's in standby. It can be turned on again using the remote or pressing the volume knob so a section of the electronics have to be powered to "listen" for input on these controls. It uses a tiny amount of power in this mode. There's no hard power off switch on this device.

- Possible you've got a bad one? I'm just using an Amazon Basics USB-C to USB-A 3 Amp cable without a problem. Amazon seem to be phasing them out for higher power (100w) capable cables, which I haven't tried. You don't need to pay extra for a USB 3.x capable cable, because this DAC does not use USB 3.2. USB-C is hugely confusing.

Top Bottom