• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AOSHIDA SMSL C200 Review (DAC & Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 9 2.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 58 17.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 260 78.8%

• Total voters

DarrylG

Addicted to Fun and Learning
SMSL C200 has auto on and off ?
How can you turn it on and off?
There's a power on/off button on the remote, and you can also turn it off by pushing and holding the volume/function knob on the unit.

sker

I snagged this on Amazon for $175, may be the best value going.
Same here, sweet deal on Amazon ! Brand new to the audiophile headphones world, but it does sound very good to my ears. Although I noticed there's some light buzzing sound coming from the area where the kettle plug goes in, when it's plugged in the mains but not switched on... Is that something you have on yours as well ?

Rayman30

Forum Donor
Same here, sweet deal on Amazon ! Brand new to the audiophile headphones world, but it does sound very good to my ears. Although I noticed there's some light buzzing sound coming from the area where the kettle plug goes in, when it's plugged in the mains but not switched on... Is that something you have on yours as well ?

Blasting Robokitty on high gain (HD-650 medium volume) whisper quiet.

Edit: Also whisper quiet when On and not in use.

Last edited:

sker

Thanks for the answer, when the C200 is powered on I don't hear it (and yes, I mean when I'm not listening to my headphones :p). It's only when I switch it off, while it's plugged in the mains, that I start hearing it buzzing. Was wondering if that's a normal behaviour or just my unit being odd.

Anybody else noticed this ?

sker

Edit: Also whisper quiet when On and not in use.
Thank you so much for double-checking. Alright, I guess I'm keeping it then :cool:

Lord_Balkan

Is this the go to for ~200? Ive seen people have some issues with this, has it been resolved? I'm looking for an upgrade to my internal sound card for around ~200

DarrylG

Is this the go to for ~200? Ive seen people have some issues with this, has it been resolved? I'm looking for an upgrade to my internal sound card for around ~200
I've had one for a week and a half, and I've had no problems so far. Regarding the clicking sounds some people mentioned, in my case, the unit itself clicks when you turn it off, and when you turn it on, the display shows "200", then the input being used, then the volume it's set at. After that, the unit initializes at 44.1, regardless of the sample rate you have it set at. When that happens, the display shows "44.1", and you hear a click. To be clear, the clicks aren't heard through the headphones.

Lord_Balkan

I've had one for a week and a half, and I've had no problems so far. Regarding the clicking sounds some people mentioned, in my case, the unit itself clicks when you turn it off, and when you turn it on, the display shows "200", then the input being used, then the volume it's set at. After that, the unit initializes at 44.1, regardless of the sample rate you have it set at. When that happens, the display shows "44.1", and you hear a click. To be clear, the clicks aren't heard through the headphones.

Those don't really seem like big issues. Thanks.

Can you keep it on? Does it sleep / auto turn on?

DarrylG

Those don't really seem like big issues. Thanks.

Can you keep it on? Does it sleep / auto turn on?
It stays on. If you press the function button on the remote until the display reads "off", the display stays blank unless you're changing the volume or making some other adjustment. I like that.

Thanks for the answer, when the C200 is powered on I don't hear it (and yes, I mean when I'm not listening to my headphones :p). It's only when I switch it off, while it's plugged in the mains, that I start hearing it buzzing. Was wondering if that's a normal behaviour or just my unit being odd.

Anybody else noticed this ?
I mentioned this earlier in the thread. I also experience it. Apparently its "coil whine" and nothing to worry about. Goes away when my unit is switched on.

sker

I mentioned this earlier in the thread. I also experience it. Apparently its "coil whine" and nothing to worry about. Goes away when my unit is switched on.
Thanks, I had read quite a share of the 23 pages, but not all of them. And the 30-day return policy was getting close to its end so I thought I'd ask anyway. Thanks again ! :)

Top Bottom