• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone want to have their Marantz SR8015 Tested?

Katji

Major Contributor
Science has still not figured out everything that is important to measure.
ho-hum :rolleyes: So what? That is irrelevant. Amplifiers are built on electricity physics knowledge understood since approx. 200 years ago. There is nothing happening there that is not understood, no magic, no divine intervention or something happening that science has not noticed. Amplifiers are built on principles that are known.
At the end of the day listening is the true and accurate experience.
Audio /human hearing research proved that notion false long ago. - proved. false. long ago.

Also, people have the science to land on Mars now, so
But audiophiles know better. Like "prophets" and shamans. Foolish and disrespectful.

Itisawesome

Do you really think an outfit like Marantz has people sitting around and listening for design decisions? Take a look at their history especially with HDAM. They've had the same mediocre specs for like 15 years while peddling different versions of the expert Japanese sensei listeners. It is marketing spiel.

Meanwhile, if measurements pass certain thresholds we know the results are fully transparent. End of story.
Lol. Yes I know Marantz sound engineers sit around and listen to give input into design decisions. Yes I agree measurements have some importance but they are not the be all and end all. Enjoy your specs whilst I enjoy the listening experience

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Science has still not figured out everything that is important to measure.

What is science missing, regarding amps?

So the measurements that are typically done only tell a portion of what affects how one amp sounds vs another. At the end of the day listening is the true and accurate experience. It is why the final decision by manufacturers such as Marantz is done based on listening and not merely empirical measurements...sound engineers.

At the end of the day, *sighted* comparison is all but worthless as a guide to reality of amp difference. Science figured that out long ago. It's time you did too, so stick around.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Lol. Yes I know Marantz sound engineers sit around and listen to give input into design decisions. Yes I agree measurements have some importance but they are not the be all and end all. Enjoy your specs whilst I enjoy the listening experience
So did they retire 15 years ago? Specs and basic design for the most part in Marantz gear has been static for that long. They surely don't represent state of the art sound or specs.

Thanks too for the cliche false dichotomy between specs and enjoying the listening experience.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don’t fall into the trap that measurements are going to tell you whether one amp is better than another. At the end of the day what do you buy the amp for? Listening! Do your ears and brain’s interpretation of sound have the same listening meaning as mine and someone else’s? No. Only way to know if you admire the sound of one amp over another is to listen to them. I recently auditioned my old marantz sr-8300 which is about 2002 vintage against a brand new Hegel h190 driving a pair of magnepan 1.7i speakers. For me marantz won hands down because I enjoyed the detail and clarity and greater presence of the higher frequencies that the Hegel couldn’t offer. The sales person was surprised and my marantz amp could almost drive the magnepans as well as the more powerful Hegel. Vocals were more forward and pronounced in the Hegel but overall I preferred the marantz sound. I hope one day not too far away I buy the pm-10s1.
Welcome

How did you conduct the test/audition? A bit of details about how you went about the comparison?
Then we discuss...

Peace.

orangejello

I would still suggest that you stick around.

At some point you might come to the same conclusion that I have - if a piece of equipment has stellar measurement it WILL sound very, very good. That is, measurement are not of "some" importance - they are of essential importance. You may prefer the sound of that class A 845 tube amp with the mercury vapor rectifier tubes in its power supply, and the low amounts of negative feedback and high harmonic distortion. But if you spend a lot of time going back and forth between that type of thing and an extremely well measuring system, I would not be surprised that you finally decide that the system with more measurable coloration is robbing you of a lot of the music. That is an extreme example, but you get the point.

People around here will scoff at you if you report differences without doing a proper blinded test. That is annoying, but the key point is that we all need to understand how much bias we bring to the table and how capable of self-deception we are. It takes some humility to accept this, but it is worth internalizing this truth. It certainly helps when it comes to understanding the decisions we make about audio, if not in the larger world as well.

I have had some really nice pieces of equipment, both tube and solid state. I used to play "sound engineer" myself with tube amps and very little knowledge - change feedback, caps, tube substitutions, etc... Had a lot of fun and suffered a lot of self-deception. Some things you can really hear, like significant changes in feedback. Some things you kid yourself about - like boutique caps and resistors. The arbiter of quality - absent legitimate testing equipment - was simply whether I "thought" it sounded better or not.

After reading this site for quite awhile I decided to buy some equipment solely based on stellar measurements and compare it to the gear that I already had and very much enjoyed. In the end, after extensive A/B'ing, the best measuring stuff became my main system. It just got out of the way, and much to my surprise, that is how I now prefer things. I no longer think about the audio system. I am far more tuned in to the music, because I am not listening to colorations and wishing they were perhaps a little different. I know that my electronics cannot be improved upon in a meaningfully audible way. Knowing that, I just hear the music and the recording.

This kind of thinking is anathema to the audiophile industry, and at this point, I am glad of that. Amir's measurements are the great leveler. It is nauseating to consider how much nonsense and snake oil has been sold. It doesn't bother me that rich folks are parted from their money. It is all just play for them anyway. It is the poor guy who, in innocent ignorance and believing it to sound better, springs for a $200 power chord, or spends an extra $1000 on an amp or DAC when there are much cheaper alternative that are either as good or better.

This site changed my value system when it comes to audio, both financially and aesthetically. So, back to my suggestion, stick around awhile and enjoy the exchange of ideas and information by the very many well-informed and generous contributors.

Last edited:

Vacceo

Major Contributor
The way I see it is that I love distortion. I love it because most of the music I listen to is extremely distorted, compressed and fit for an audiophobe that would rather get some old Benediction records than any pristine quartet of chamber music.

But the distortion I listen to is the one in the source material, the one that musicians and producers wanted to be there, not the one the gear adds.

My current issue on gear is that it seems that I cannot find a processor with reduced distortion that also has the convenience of multiple inputs, sound codecs and room correction all at once. Amps are easy for multichannel: there´s a nice amount of hypex and purifi based manufacturers that deliver great perfomance. AVR´s however, not so much. I don´t mind paying. In fact, it is quite possible that I end up getting some perlistens (or upper echelon KEFs,) because their subwoofers are demolition hammers, what I need is a processor in line with a quality of an Apollon (among others) multichannel amp.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
It's got four fans, tiny heatsinks and 11 channels of amplification. Basically, it will suck up more dust than a vacuum cleaner and sound like a drone ;)

1648680111567.png

There's barely enough heatsink area for 2 channels at 140W, letalone 11. I look at this from "Marantz" and shake my head. Nothing like the quality gear they once built.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's got four fans, tiny heatsinks and 11 channels of amplification. Basically, it will suck up more dust than a vacuum cleaner and sound like a drone ;)

I have yet to hear from one (not sure, but definitely no more than 2 that I could remember..:)) owners who reported those internal fans ever turn on. It seems that they would only turn on at dangerously high temperatures. So no, I don't believe noise and dust would be an issue caused by those fans, except may be for a few individuals who decided not to use external amps and yet push their units to the limit.

Agreed with the heatsinks part, with so many amps in one such box, there is simply no room for more. For those who hope their AVRs to last longer, say more than 6-8 years, an external fan should be recommended even when used with external amps only, like I do.

Top Bottom