• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anybody Out There Who Hears a Difference Between 320 kbps MP3 and Red Book CD? What Differences Do You Hear?

ads_cft222

Weirdly, a lot of the debate about audibility seems to break on this very idea. It's incredibly clear where the scientific evidence lies, but it seems to threaten people's identities to acknowledge it. They just go on admiring the emperor's clothes.
Let’s separate dialogue from problematic behaviours. These behaviors harm the forum’s appeal

ads_cft222

By the time you have written all those posts you could have taken test many times over and put the topic to rest. Yet you choose differently. Your reluctance does not make you more credible in your claims. So take the f… test alright and stop wasting everyone’s time. Will you. Pretty please.
Who are you to tell me in that way what should I do?

Last edited:

sq225917

Major Contributor
Just listen to an audience clapping, it's always obvious, on every encoder I've tried with lossless.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just listen to an audience clapping, it's always obvious, on every encoder I've tried with lossless.
Interesting, never tried that. Is this like the distortion tests where you can hear lower levels of distortion on sine waves than music?

Another easy and worthwhile test: https://www.klippel.de/listeningtest/

olieb

Interesting, never tried that. Is this like the distortion tests where you can hear lower levels of distortion on sine waves than music?
I just did (again with 320 kbps). But my hearing must be really bad. There was no "obvious" difference.
Maybe I need a training workshop on compression artifacts perception.
My guess is that the best chance to spot a difference is with recordings of dangling keys or high frequency bandpassed noise.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just did (again with 320 kbps). But my hearing must be really bad. There was no "obvious" difference.
Maybe I need a training workshop on compression artifacts perception.
My guess is that the best chance to spot a difference is with recordings of dangling keys or high frequency bandpassed noise.
stuff like that, also you can search Hydrogenaudio.io for the phrase 'killer sample' for examples. People there have been posting them for decades now.

jbattman1016

I can't hear my CD player spinning when using MP3s, this adds to the noise floor.
This is like asking if I can hear the difference between DD+ at 640Kbps and True-HD. I know I can't on my system, but maybe on a more expensive setup ... MAYBE..... idk. I re-encode all my movies and sounds great.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Let’s separate dialogue from problematic behaviours. These behaviors harm the forum’s appeal

Your profile says you've been here since August. Yet you seem surprised and unaware of the ethos of this forum.

There are dozens of forums where claims of difference like yours about are par for the course, and welcomed and seconded without question.

This forum was specifically founded to be different from that, to be focused on science and the use of testing and measurement to develop true claims about audio. (Testing includes : listening tests) Claims that don't seem credible in light of known science and engineering are going to be challenged.

And here you are, making a dubious claim, then telling us how to be more appealing after we explain why your claim is dubious, and ask for better evidence.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Who are you to tell me in that way what should I do?
Suit yourself.

I think you fighting to take the test says it all: You are not so sure anymore if your previous high flying claims actually hold any water at all and you have been called out for it.

Which begs the question: are you here to learn or to troll?

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting. My audibility threshold is -24 dB, using full range speakers. Wondering if I'd do better on headphones...
I think so. I did.

ads_cft222

Your profile says you've been here since August. Yet you seem surprised and unaware of the ethos of this forum.

There are dozens of forums where claims of difference like yours about are par for the course, and welcomed and seconded without question.

This forum was specifically founded to be different from that, to be focused on science and the use of testing and measurement to develop true claims about audio. (Testing includes : listening tests) Claims that don't seem credible in light of known science and engineering are going to be challenged.

And here you are, making a dubious claim, then telling us how to be more appealing after we explain why your claim is dubious, and ask for better evidence.
One last time and I hope a return to sanity .

What I claimed is my personal experience and not a research paper and I did not presented it as an absolute truth . It was a simple response to a topic question . Where in the forum rules says specifically that I need to provide logs of tests in order to be able to express an experience?

You can counter with arguments to challenge but demanding for me to take a test to prove it is irrelevant and disturbing.

If I hear or think I hear a difference has nothing to do with the fact that the compression of aac256 is not transparent to 100% of people dependent on individual and equipment . Information is lost . Fidelity exists when information stays intact.

Therefore what I hear does not affect the above truth even if this truth applies for a minuscule percentage of people.

If you are curious to know specifically about me then you can ask me and if I want I will do the test and provide the results. Under no f.king circumstance am I obliged to do it.

I hope logic prevails into your mind.

Last edited:

Zensō

Major Contributor
One last time and I hope a return to sanity .

What I claimed is my personal experience and not a research paper and I did not presented it as an absolute truth . It was a simple response to a topic question . Where in the forum rules says specifically that I need to provide logs of tests in order to be able to express an experience?

You can counter with arguments to challenge but telling me to take a test to prove it is irrelevant and disturbing.

If I hear or think I hear a difference has nothing to do with the fact that the compression of aac256 is not transparent to 100% of people dependent on individual and equipment . Information is lost . Fidelity exists when information stays intact.

Therefore what I hear does not affect the above truth even if this truth applies for a minuscule percentage of people.

If you are curious to know specifically about me then you can ask me and if I want I will do the test and provide the results. Under no f.king circumstance am I obliged to do it.

I hope logic prevails into your mind.
Lots of new people come here and say they hear this and they hear that in regards to various sources, without any effort made at all to rule out bias. That’s all fine, but once you dig deeper and learn a bit about psychoacoustics and cognitive bias, and how they affect what we believe we hear, you realize those types of subjective statements are pretty much meaningless and add very little to the conversation.

If you’re interested, this old article might shed some light on the subject and help you to understand where some of us are coming from:

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting. My audibility threshold is -24 dB, using full range speakers. Wondering if I'd do better on headphones...
I did - but not much.

I've taken that test a number of times. The best I've ever managed was with earbuds and I think I got -45dB. Never got even close to that again on any kit. Perhaps I was having a good ear day. Or perhaps I just got lucky with random guesses.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Under no f.king circumstance am I obliged to do it.
Correct - you are not.

But correspondingly - no-one here is obliged to give any credence - or even value - to your unevidenced claims about what you think you hear.

danadam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Applause is more like a (random) noise than a normal music, so it's more difficult to compress it without artifacts. Here's 10s of applause compressed with different lame presets: https://mega.nz/folder/N1ATCA7b#7-LD4wjieN121UvrTZfDvg

I'm not sure I'd ABX that at 192 kbps and above.

D

Deleted member 48726

You can counter with arguments to challenge but demanding for me to take a test to prove it is irrelevant and disturbing.

I didn't see anyone demanding that.

We've asked you if you would do them because what you claim is unlikely to be true for the vast majority of people. -And that would make you an interesting case. -A contender for the Golden Ears trophy.

Maybe it would also be nice that you didn't need to respond to all these people that doubt you and just lay down your test results once and for all. The definitive mic-drop.

If it's true.

ads_cft222

I didn't see anyone demanding that.

We've asked you if you would do them because what you claim is unlikely to be true for the vast majority of people. -And that would make you an interesting case. -A contender for the Golden Ears trophy.

Maybe it would also be nice that you didn't need to respond to all these people that doubt you and just lay down your test results once and for all. The definitive mic-drop.

If it's true.
I have set wiim mini as an airplay device in my iphone. Went to do the tidal test remake aac320 vs lossless (the middle one that lasts 10-15m) and the sound does not output to mini only to my phone speakers. Can I only do it on laptop with headphones or is there a way to my stereo?

Top Bottom