• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anybody Out There Who Hears a Difference Between 320 kbps MP3 and Red Book CD? What Differences Do You Hear?

Zensō

Major Contributor
I could listen directly using Bluetooth aac from my iPhone without having a need for an external streamer directly though my amp .

Even if I do the test level matched following the procedure and tell you the same thing ,in your mind you will doubt it . Will one opinion or experience change your opinion or experience ? So why spend time and energy for this?
We’re on a science based forum, so we’re trying to learn and determine what is real and what is either placebo or invalid claims based upon poor testing. If you participate on a forum such as this and make claims that go against the established norm, members will challenge those claims, it happens everyday here. It’s nothing personal.

The simplest way to determine whether or not you have highly exceptional hearing is to take the online test I linked above. If you pass the 256 AAC test you are among a rare few. If not, count yourself among us mere mortals. Either way you’re going to learn something which I’m assuming is why you’re here?

ads_cft222

We’re on a science based forum, so we’re trying to learn and determine what is real and what is either placebo or invalid claims based upon poor testing. If you participate on a forum such as this and make claims that go against the established norm, members will challenge those claims, it happens everyday here. It’s nothing personal.

The simplest way to determine whether or not you have highly exceptional hearing is to take the online test I linked above. If you pass the 256 AAC test you are among a rare few. If not, count yourself among us mere mortals. Either way you’re going to learn something which I’m assuming is why you’re here?
I am here to learn. However , even if it is the case that 90% cannot pass this test and 10% pass it and I belong to the 10% that is already known and by confirming that I belong to one group does not contribute anything new

Zensō

Major Contributor
I am here to learn. However , even if it is the case that 90% cannot pass this test and 10% pass it and I belong to the 10% that is already known and by confirming that I belong to one group does not contribute nothing new
That's fine. But if you prefer to remain ignorant on this point, you can expect to be challenged now and then when making claims that go against the established consensus of what can and cannot be heard.

ads_cft222

That's fine. But if you prefer to remain ignorant on this point, you can expect to be challenged now and then when making claims that go against the established consensus of what can and cannot be heard.
You did not claim that something cannot be heard. You claimed something different, that most people cannot spot a difference.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You did not claim that something cannot be heard. You claimed something different, that most people cannot spot a difference.
And you don't seem interested to find out if you really can spot a difference or not.

ads_cft222

Semantics. "Heard", meaning "heard a difference".
Ok. It is different to say that you cannot hear a difference period. And different to say there is a difference but probably you cannot hear it because most people cannot.

Zensō

Major Contributor
Ok. It is different to say that you cannot hear a difference period. And different to say there is a difference but probably you cannot hear it because most people cannot.
I'm not really interested in debating the semantics. Let us know if you end up taking the test. You might find it enlightening.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There are lots of online tests for this (NPR, Archimago). take them and be honest with yourself. The only ones I got right (320k vs lossless) were classical music, and there weren't enough to say it wasn't luck. Lower res MP3 I could get pretty consistently.

But the differences are subtle. It's more scrutinizing than listening.

(minor edits for typos + links)

Last edited:

ads_cft222

There are lots of online tests for this (NPR, Archimago). take them and be honest with yourself. The only ones I got right (320k vs lossless) were classical music, and there weren't enough to say it wasn't luck. Lower res MP3 I could get pretty consistently.

But the differences are subtle. It's more scrutinizing than listening.

(minor edits for typos)
I will agree that there is not night and day difference. That is why I mentioned for instance low cello notes are not correct but to me these details detract from realism. I am not a gloss over guy.

Anyway, If I eventually do the test I will let you know

Zensō

Major Contributor
I am here to learn. However , even if it is the case that 90% cannot pass this test and 10% pass it and I belong to the 10% that is already known and by confirming that I belong to one group does not contribute anything new
Just FYI, the numbers are much smaller than 10%. In one test with over 500 participants comparing 256 AAC to Redbook, literally one person passed.

D

Deleted member 48726

My condolences. -If it's true.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And you assumed it was 10% that could. It's far less than that. But you claim to be one of them. Chances are, you aren't. You've made an unlikely claim without good evidence. Do you see why that's a waste of time for everyone, here?

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I will agree that there is not night and day difference. That is why I mentioned for instance low cello notes are not correct but to me these details detract from realism.

That is not something mp3 artifacts would be expected to affect.

Meanwhile your experience has all the hallmarks of being either a system level issue, or a product of 'sighted' bias.

ads_cft222

And you assumed it was 10% that could. It's far less than that. But you claim to be one of them. Chances are, you aren't. You've made an unlikely claim without good evidence. Do you see why that's a waste of time for everyone, here?
Are you serious ? Is your whole existence at stake on whether I belong to one group or another and if the numbers are smaller .

Ok I belong to 99,9% who cannot hear a difference if that helps your well being .

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you serious ? Is your whole existence at stake on whether I belong to one group or another and if the numbers are smaller .

Ok I belong to 99,9% who cannot hear a difference if that helps your well being .

:rolleyes: And now you flatter yourself.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is your whole existence at stake
Weirdly, a lot of the debate about audibility seems to break on this very idea. It's incredibly clear where the scientific evidence lies, but it seems to threaten people's identities to acknowledge it. They just go on admiring the emperor's clothes.

Zensō

Major Contributor

And what compelled you to come here and tell us what you can and can’t hear, without sufficient evidence? Again, we’re supposedly here to share information and learn, but it’s increasingly looking as if you’re not interested in doing so in good faith.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And what compelled you to come here and tell us what you can and can’t hear, without sufficient evidence? Again, we’re supposedly here to share information and learn, but it’s increasingly looking as if you’re not interested in doing so in good faith.
I kinda think he's here in good faith.

I will never forget the amount of internal rationalization I engaged in when I saw that blind amp test in 1987. I really didn't accept it until years later. I applaud anyone who is open to changing their mind. We should really all start our posts with "I could be wrong but..."

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor

By the time you have written all those posts you could have taken test many times over and put the topic to rest. Yet you choose differently. Your reluctance does not make you more credible in your claims. So take the f… test alright and stop wasting everyone’s time. Will you. Pretty please.

Top Bottom