• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any point in running Kappa 9s with a Purifi 400 stereo amp?

OP
tmtomh

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The 7.2i's with the Scanspeak Discovery units have had a mod with an extra resistor it seems. As far as I remember when I got them and compared the crossovers. They are 8 ohm nominal units as opposed to the 4 ohm Polydome and they should also have way higher sensitivity hence the resistor. Should perhaps have been a higher value resistor because it does have an elevated mid-range frequency range in my measurements.

The 8.2i's are the ones with the Dynaudio D52's. And they measure flat with the knobs in center pos. No mod to the crossover. A drop-in replacement for the poly's and lauded by many to be better than the Polydomes.

Are you saying a Dynaudio D52 driver is a drop-in replacement for the Polydome in the late 1980s Kappa 8/9?

OP
tmtomh

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A quick update:

I've been playing with the L-pads and took some SPL meter measurements - nothing super-detailed or precise, just at the 10 octaves from 32Hz to 16kHz, doing a few runs to ensure the readings came up the same each time. Some of the readings surprised me, while others confirmed my listening impressions:

• In "normal" mode - which produces less low bass than "extended" mode - these suckers are F0 at 32Hz; in other words their SPL at 32Hz is the same as their SPL in most of the rest of the frequency range. Pretty nice! I tried enabling extended mode, but it either made no difference or added a little too much in-room bass (my comparison was sighted, so I don't know if my perception of too much bass was real or confirmation bias).
  • There's a small increase in energy at 63Hz and a somewhat larger one at 125Hz. This was a surprise to me, as the speakers don't sound boomy to me, and I'm pretty sensitive to elevation in the 125-200Hz range. I am guessing these are room modes, and I will be very curious to find out what their Q is, becuase I'm guessing it's pretty high aka these modes are fairly narrow in frequency range, which is probably why they're not jumping out at me.
  • There's a few dB elevation at 2 and 4kHz, which was not a surprise at all, and in fact kind of a relief, because this was exactly the range where I was sure I was hearing something that wasn't quite right. The original polydome mids disintegrated over the decades (super common problem with these), and my father replaced them with fabric domes that are a little more sensitive, so the L-pads are incapable of attenuating these replacements enough to get them to be flat with the other drivers.

So with this info in-hand, I've gone ahead and ordered a MiniDSP SHD, and when that arrives I'll put it between my Oppo 205 and my amp, and let Dirac take care of everything.

In the meantime, I've enabled the 10-band EQ built in to the Apple Music app on my Mac mini that I use as my music streamer, and dialed in 2-3dB cuts at 125Hz, 2k, and 4k. This is just a stop-gap until the SHD arrives, as it's a crude, incomplete solution, and it doesn't allow me to have the EQ when I play physical discs from the Oppo. But even this simple EQ'ing seems to have addressed the issues I was hearing, so I would guess the sound will only improve further after Dirac does a more fine-grained and extensive removal of nonlinearities that are influencing the sound now but which are not jumping out at me.

So I think once the SHD arrives and I get it all set, I'll be very happy with this setup and I could be set for the foreseeable future.

If after a couple of months there is anything that bothers me about them, though, at that point I'll feel satisfied that I've done the best I could do with them, and I'll sell them and get a pair of Genelec 8351s. But as of now I'm feeling pretty optimistic that these Kappas are going to suit me nicely.

D

Deleted member 48726

Yes, the Dynaudio should be drop-in replacement as far as I could find out. My crossover in the 8.2i's look original and nothing ugly shows up in measurements.

OP
tmtomh

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, the Dynaudio should be drop-in replacement as far as I could find out. My crossover in the 8.2i's look original and nothing ugly shows up in measurements.

Thanks! Because I don't feel confident in my ability to do such a swap myself, and these speakers are nearly impossible to move, and the mid units are very recent replacements in great condition, I think I will just let the MiniDSP SHD smooth out the response, since I'm sure I'll need the SHD for room modes in the sub-300Hz range anyway. Appreciate the info though!

D

Deleted member 48726

Thanks! Because I don't feel confident in my ability to do such a swap myself, and these speakers are nearly impossible to move, and the mid units are very recent replacements in great condition, I think I will just let the MiniDSP SHD smooth out the response, since I'm sure I'll need the SHD for room modes in the sub-300Hz range anyway. Appreciate the info though!
Yeah. That worked with my 7.2i's nicely.

Top Bottom