• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem to introduce new models!

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We don't know what will be on the bigger unit display itself (but some people will still complain that they hide their unit away and cannot see it). The functions would ideally be split between things that you need for daily use (on device display) and occasional settings change (web/app UI).

Practically speaking, having an OSD comes with a great cost to serve a few OCD/legacy needs. If the OSD isn't an overlay on video content, it will look outdated. If it is an overlay, then you have introduced a need for video processing in the unit that adds to heat, cost and complexity and potentially impact noise/performance. People who prize sound quality should be thankful for removing all that processing circuitry. Better design for the future is to make that information be sent as meta data over the HDMI with the display being able to overlay it.

As we get into higher and higher resolutions, the old "VGA resolution" OSD starts to look very bad and dated. Increasing the resolution of the OSD non-linearly increases the amount of video processing needed just to accommodate it.

Adding any kind of interactivity to the OSD requires considerable low-level firmware that complicates updates and purposing buttons on the remote to do so (for example, just maintaining the context of where you were if the OSD is turned on and off rather than starting from the main menu which is annoying requires a state machine to be maintained). All these are solved problems, of course, but as the functionality increases, these things get way too complex with impact on updates, maintenance and support.

I would rather that all that effort went into the quality of the audio than serve a niche market that will take time to switch over out of habit. But a transition is never without protests from those who like the "old way".
Good points for sure. I just know when others are using the theater, something basic like seeing the volume level on the screen is quite useful via the remote. I look forward to downloading the manual to check things out in more detail.

Vasr

Major Contributor
Good points for sure. I just know when others are using the theater, something basic like seeing the volume level on the screen is quite useful via the remote. I look forward to downloading the manual to check things out in more detail.

I understand. But I would expect this limited use to be easily solved in the future if not now via the CEC volume control feature. The display can show the volume setting on its own without requiring the unit to overlay.

cbrents73

Audio Company
13 minutes to go![/QUOTE
@cbrents73, after the official launch and you can talk about such things :) ... Can you use ARC room correction on zone 2/3 on any of the new models?
I love the aesthetic/look of these. Very nice. My only wishes would have been..
-At least one receiver that had 4 sub outs
-OSD
-Roon client built in
Look forward to having some of them tested here by Amir.

I realize there will always be functions/features on the wish list...ARC will not work on any of the secondary zones - only the theater/surround area. On the prior generation, our DSP's for the secondary Zones simply didn't have the capability of handling ARC and is likely the case on these due to meeting price points, but I'm still waiting for verification on that. Our MDX Distribution Amps does, however, run ARC in all Zones as they were specifically designed for it.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I realize there will always be functions/features on the wish list...ARC will not work on any of the secondary zones - only the theater/surround area. On the prior generation, our DSP's for the secondary Zones simply didn't have the capability of handling ARC and is likely the case on these due to meeting price points, but I'm still waiting for verification on that. Our MDX Distribution Amps does, however, run ARC in all Zones as they were specifically designed for it.
Appreciate the info. I saw the MDX distribution amps Release a while ago. Very cool concept for sure.

flyzipper

Has anyone seen Anthem's plans (timing, price) with respect to the statement, "HDMI v2.1 8K Upgradeable"?

I understand the industry is having HDMI 2.1 teething pains right now, but this gamer won't be buying anything AV related unless it supports HDMI 2.1 at this point.

cbrents73

Audio Company
Bummer. I know this isn’t a big deal to many, but getting some basic info on the screen without having to use iOS/android device etc is not something I want to deal with. This may be a direction some manufacturers are going, but I don’t like it.

You will be able to see/receive some On-Screen "Feedback" like Volume, Input, Surround, etc. just like how the MRX20 Series does - just no onscreen setup on the TV. You can use the screen on the unit to fully set it up, but it will be easier to use your phone, tablet, or computer for the setup process.

cbrents73

Audio Company
Has anyone seen Anthem's plans (timing, price) with respect to the statement, "HDMI v2.1 8K Upgradeable"?

I understand the industry is having HDMI 2.1 teething pains right now, but this gamer won't be buying anything AV related unless it supports HDMI 2.1 at this point.

We intentionally did not use any 2.1 chipsets. Just like most things, there are good-better-best versions and we've been waiting for better versions to become available. When the right ones become available, that's when we'll have an announcement of a price and a timeline. The update should be able to be done in the field and not have to send the units off anywhere.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You will be able to see/receive some On-Screen "Feedback" like Volume, Input, Surround, etc. just like how the MRX20 Series does - just no onscreen setup on the TV. You can use the screen on the unit to fully set it up, but it will be easier to use your phone, tablet, or computer for the setup process.
Thanks Chris. Exactly what I was hoping for... with setup, I don't care how/where it is done but volume/surround modes, etc on screen is really important

Vasr

Major Contributor
I hope you guys are sitting down.

Anthem has updated their web site and the AVM90 is listed at US$7000 (not the $6500 reported earlier in this thread). Exactly double the price of the AVM70. :oops:

The specs in the manual also published has zero differences between the AVM70 and AVM90. Other than additional 2 subs out and the higher end DAC which will make zero difference in audibility.

Either the product managers at Anthem have been drinking non-stop for a month straight to do this or it is solely designed to get the reviewers at Stereophile to rate it higher. ;)

Seems like a rushed launch to make some deadline given missing spec tab info on the site ("coming soon"), the manual with mislabeled back panel description, etc. Reminds me of the Rotel vaporware announcement.

SinnerSaint

Not just an "additional 2 subs out"; as now the processor has Auto Subwoofer Phase Adjustments [ARC Genesis] & Auto Subwoofer Polarity Adjustments [ARC Genesis] for each of the four sub outs.

The BIG reveal is:
"AVM 90 Specifications
Coming soon"
what a joke!

What about balanced audio inputs??

Dropping DTS Play-Fi is a slap in the face to previous Anthem processor purchasers who set up their system for it and now if they upgrade they lose it.

Last edited:

Vasr

Major Contributor
Not just an "additional 2 subs out"; as now the processor has Auto Subwoofer Phase Adjustments [ARC Genesis] & Auto Subwoofer Polarity Adjustments [ARC Genesis] for each of the four sub outs.
The AVM70 has that ARC feature for the two sub outs. So, it is just two more subs out for the AVM90 over the AVM70.
The BIG reveal is:
"AVM 90 Specifications
Coming soon"
what a joke!
There is an online and PDF manual available now (same manual for all AVM and MRX models!) that has a spec section for all the models in a table.

Attached below.

I must say I have never seen such poor prep and sloppiness for a major product revamp from a brand manufacturer (other than a bit from Rotel).

Attachments

• mrx-avm_en.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 4,166

Vasr

Major Contributor
It is possible that the AVM70 uses the AK4490EQ for just the L and R with crappy DACs for the rest of the channels. AVM 90 may use four 4-channel AK4499EQ on all channels. Even so, doubling the price is a middle finger raised. :)

flyzipper

I hope you guys are sitting down.

Anthem has updated their web site and the AVM90 is listed at US$7000 (not the $6500 reported earlier in this thread). Exactly double the price of the AVM70. :oops:

Canadian list prices on their site are $3999.99 for the AVM 70 and $8499.99 for the AVM 90... more than double up here.

Welp... looks like I'll be hanging on to the miniDSP 2x4HD for subwoofer tuning.

@SinnerSaint the AVM 70 and 90 have balanced outputs, but no balanced inputs.

Vasr

Major Contributor
Thanks Chris. Exactly what I was hoping for... with setup, I don't care how/where it is done but volume/surround modes, etc on screen is really important

From the manual it appears to have a two-line OSD display but the manual does not specify what all is displayed (other than mention volume and source)

lovemusic

It is possible that the AVM70 uses the AK4490EQ for just the L and R with crappy DACs for the rest of the channels.

That will be a terrible drop in quality and performance. Given that it is the same DAC as in Denon 8500H, the SINAD as measured by AMIR is quite good and make it a worthy upgrade.

But still I would to see it tested and reviewed before I take a plunge.

Vasr

Major Contributor
But still I would to see it tested and reviewed before I take a plunge.

Absolutely and more than just L and R measured if using different DACs. These are not available till December anyway.

Fullshred

This is what I was hoping for - just volume, input etc. I don't need setup menus on a receiver if there's an excellent web interface. Good call.

Top Bottom