• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem to introduce new models!

cbrents73

Audio Company
We have Chris Sipes from Anthem participating in this forum (thank you and welcome Chris). I'm sure he will relay our request to have these new units tested by Amir.

Hello, I appreciate that! I've interacted briefly with Amir and passed his info to our Marketing Team who is responsible for the handling of product reviews. I can only push/advise, but it's ultimately their decision who they send product to. I did let Amir know to reach out to our closest Dealer to him and try to work something out through that channel if possible. And that can all depend on whether he has any relationships with, or how his relationship may be with any of our Dealers near where he's located. I just want to be able to provide what added support I can give here in the field.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
I hope they do not ignore the low power end. I have a 310 and love it. For my small movie room, I don't need bigger amps. I actually only need 5. Don't do zones a jillion surrounds. 5.1 is all. I do wish it did all the handshake quicker. I should start saving up as mine is getting long on tooth. Maybe before it starts humming right along with the music I can save up enough! ARC blows the doors off Audessy IMHO. One of my better purchases if I do say so.

cbrents73

Audio Company
I understand. How about letting us know when the new stuff can be ordered? Friday as well?

They can be preordered through any one of our Authorized Dealers right now. I'm not at liberty to discuss details regarding ship dates or anything else regarding these new products at this time, but all the Product Info will be released October 30th on our website.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
I'm half excited, half leery.

Amplifier performance in the MRX series has collapsed since the original models. I'm pretty sure the 530 & 730 are going to have terrible amp performance - the 1130 might be fine because its the only one that kept the toroidal power supply.

At one time these were the go to receivers if you wanted a super high quality, room calibration-capable receiver with decent conversion and great amplification (by AVR standards). The MRX-500 and 510 sat in a really nice niche, the pricing was higher than mass market AVRs but a bargain by high end standards, the feature set was great, ARC is fantastic and the amp was good enough to not need to go separates in most cases. It was especially great for guys like myself that don't care about Atmos or any more than basic 5.1 surround. That ended with the 520, which is terrible, and I don't think the 530 is going to be any better because now they added two extra channels - so I'm anticipating the same absolutely horrific performance of the 520, with even fewer watts per channel.

The AVR market is honestly so annoying. I hope Anthem steps it up and the new models are better than the 20s but I'm not holding my breath.

I suggest you not judge an entire product based on the kind of transformer it has. There is nothing magic about a toroidal transformer. Let the engineers do their job. Results matter.

temps

I suggest you not judge an entire product based on the kind of transformer it has. There is nothing magic about a toroidal transformer. Let the engineers do their job. Results matter.

You're right. The results are fucking terrible.... 1120 vs. the 520. The old 710 series for comparison. Same site testing the 1120 here. All the units with the toroidal supply perform quite well by AVR standards; the one without it is one of the worst amplifiers ever tested by ASR.

The toroidal power supply is specifically attributed to only the 1130 on the leaked slides, so it is practically a given the others are using something inferior. "Let the engineers do their job" is quite rich, you don't know that more people than just engineers are involved with designing, building and selling AVRs? It was no secret back in the day, the low end MRX models cannibalized the sales of the more expensive ones... that's why they are now intentionally gimped, to funnel people upwards to the more expensive, higher margin units.

Anything else?

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
You're right. The results are fucking terrible.... 1120 vs. the 520. The old 710 series for comparison. Same site testing the 1120 here. All the units with the toroidal supply perform quite well by AVR standards; the one without it is one of the worst amplifiers ever tested by ASR.

The toroidal power supply is specifically attributed to only the 1130 on the leaked slides, so it is practically a given the others are using something inferior. "Let the engineers do their job" is quite rich, you don't know that more people than just engineers are involved with designing, building and selling AVRs? It was no secret back in the day, the low end MRX models cannibalized the sales of the more expensive ones... that's why they are now intentionally gimped, to funnel people upwards to the more expensive, higher margin units.

Anything else?
Yes, accounting and marketing have their say. But you are taking one aspect and applying it to the entire design. I think your "intentionally gimped" is misconstrued as what was necessary to meet a price point and feature set. Otherwise, it would require a conspiracy across al manufactures in illegal anti-trust practices. If all but one played, that one could steal the entire market.

Dmitri

Forum Donor
What would serve me best is a 5 series with 7 channels and the ability to turn off the actual amps. I’d love a pre pro, but it would be far more than I need....and likely more than I can afford. What would be really great would be two levels of pre pro...One for the 15+ channel junkies and one for the rest of us 5 to 7 channel folk. Dare to dream. That said, I run my 510 with a Rotel 1095 with no complaints.

Nice to have you here cbrents. As always, and assuming this turns into an owner’s thread, I’m sure there are going to be lots of questions and concerns down the road. Your presence will be much appreciated.

flyzipper

From another forum... high level marketing details for AVM 90 and AVM 70...

Looking forward to hearing about the ARC improvements which will obviously be needed to support 4 independent subwoofer outputs.

(this would be a very expensive way to retire my miniDSP 2x4HD which is currently used for that purpose)
1603933835775.png
1603933835775.png

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Does th MRX 740 have a toroidal transformer?

Last edited:

Vasr

Major Contributor
Looks like the new AVM series will also have a facelift from the aging AVM60 to match the STR and the new MRX units.

Pricing should be interesting. My guess is AVM 70 at $3500 and AVM 90 at $4500-$5000. They would be over-priced at that level. But a bargain relative to the NAD.

The above may seem comparable to Rotel, Monoprice HTP-1, etc but with much higher margins, since they don't have to price in the hefty Dirac Live license.

Will have to wait and see.

flyzipper

Pricing should be interesting. My guess is AVM 70 at $3500 and AVM 90 at $4500-$5000. They would be over-priced at that level. But a bargain relative to the NAD.

I think you're in the right ballpark with that guess.

My guess... the AVM 70 will be priced above the MRX 1140 (which would be different than past-gen where the AVM 60 retailed for less than the MRX 1120).

Reasoning... the new MRX x40 series uses the AKM AK4458VN, while the AVM 70 uses the AKM AK4490EQ and the AVM 90 uses the AKM AK4499EQ, so I suspect they'll position the AVM units as "ultra premium" options in their line-up.

(current retail pricing in $CDN - AVM 60 - $3299, MRX 1120 - $3599, MRX 720 $2599, MRX 520 - $1699)

rccarguy

What would serve me best is a 5 series with 7 channels and the ability to turn off the actual amps. I’d love a pre pro, but it would be far more than I need....and likely more than I can afford. What would be really great would be two levels of pre pro...One for the 15+ channel junkies and one for the rest of us 5 to 7 channel folk. Dare to dream. That said, I run my 510 with a Rotel 1095 with no complaints.

Nice to have you here cbrents. As always, and assuming this turns into an owner’s thread, I’m sure there are going to be lots of questions and concerns down the road. Your presence will be much appreciated.

Yeah I only need a 7.2 av pre, with proper subwoofer dual sub eq...don't need 16 channel

lovemusic

Does anyone know if it is a newer DAC on the AVM 70 vs AVM 60? Additionally is there a different DAC on AVM 70 vs the MRX 1140-MRX 540?

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Using the same marketing strategy as Nikon did for the update 6 and 7 Z series mirrorless...the countdown timer. I’m looking forward to the reveal, but it’s kind of got the whole “second coming” thing implied.
Anthem...I’m a fan, but the whole life changing imagery was kind of silly with Nikon, and no different here. Not exactly waiting with baited breath....
Yeah, though it's just a refresh of the Z, I preordered mine so I should be in the first batch.

The Anthem looks nice.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Exactly. 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, the Nikon Z series is here! Wait, Sony has had a superior mirrorless system out for 2 years already? Doh.
Don't want to take this too off-topic, but...

The Sony system is only technically superior in continuous autofocus tracking. In picture quality (especially color, and if you do astro and can't live with Sony "star eater" algorithms), lenses/optical performance (Sony's small mount is permanently handicapped compared to the larger Z), and ergonomics, the Nikon wins hands down. Even Sony users admit this.

Top Bottom